Looking for quotes or books affirming the Real Presence

Started by Bernadette, December 29, 2018, 11:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

After a disturbing conversation with my priest, I'm looking for reading material defending the dogma of the Real Presence. Thanks, all.
My Lord and my God.

Michael Wilson

The Council of Trent online, go to the treatment about the Eucharist.
Then "Eucharistic Miracles" by Joan Carol Cruz (Tan) the whole book treats on this subject.
Any traditional Catechism esp. The Catechism of the Council of Trent:http://www.catholicapologetics.info/thechurch/catechism/Holy7Sacraments-Eucharist.shtml
QuoteChrist Whole And Entire Is Present In The Eucharist

Here the pastor should explain that in this Sacrament are contained not only the true body of. Christ and all the constituents of a true body, such as bones and sinews, but also Christ whole and entire. He should point out that the word Christ designates the God­man, that is to say, one Person in whom are united the divine and human natures; that the Holy Eucharist, therefore, contains both, and whatever is included in the idea of both, the Divinity and humanity whole and entire, consisting of the soul, all the parts of the body and the blood,­ all of which must be believed to be in this Sacrament. In heaven the whole humanity is united to the Divinity in one hypostasis, or Person; hence it would be impious, to suppose that the body of Christ, which is contained in the Sacrament, is separated from His Divinity.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Arvinger

I highly recommend John Salza's book The Biblical Basis for the Eucharist (Our Sunday Visitor, 2008). It contains a thorough exegesis of key Scriptural passages (John 6, the Last Supper accounts, 1 Corinthians 11), a collection of numerous quotes from the Early Church Fathers affirming the Real Presence of Christ in the sacrament of the Eucharist and sacrificial character of the Eucharist, as well as a catalogue of selected Eucharistic miracles. Also, you might want to check out Robert Sungenis' Not By Bread Alone: The Biblical and Historical Evidence for the Eucharistic Sacrifice (Queenship Publications, 2000).

Michael Wilson

Arvinger's post also jogged my memory; I once had a book on the interpretation of Jn. 6, by Cardinal Wiseman; in which he goes through the key verses in Our Lord's Eucharistic discourse to the Jews; very powerful; Cardinal Wiseman was a great scripture scholar, and Hebraist (sp?). I'm sorry I let the book out of my hands.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Gardener

I would assume by your phrasing that your priest has indicated a lack of belief in the Real Presence. As such, I don't understand how any quote would sway the "education" he got in "seminary", for to hold the belief is something terrifying for a priest not set on living the true vocation of an alter Christus. It would be akin to a soldier believing they will never be deployed, and their practice at the target range is merely for the discipline of it, rather than to train to kill their fellow man. What horror to know all that training is tending towards a merely mortal life and death situation or combination thereof, rather than mere ceremony and some effete discipline for the sake of itself. Much more for the priest, an immortal life and death situation.

In Dr. Brant Pitre's Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist, the author shows not only quotes, but the historical building up to the Blessed Sacrament in the New Covenant.

He works his way through the Old Testament and shows the necessity that either the Eucharist is indeed Christ's Real Presence, or it's nothing at all -- for if it be not the Real Presence, it is less than its assumed types: the manna from heaven, the showbread (bread of the presence/face), etc. Seeing the Old Testament explained lucidly, along with para-scriptural and para-liturgical (OT) Talmudic explanations, one would be insane to not see that if Christ did not truly institute the Real Presence in the Blessed Sacrament, He was not the Messiah at all.

Sure, explain many things and inundate his mind with truth, but I dare say that prayer only shall sway him.
If he insists, and is teaching against this basic belief in any sort of public manner, the Bishop needs to be informed post-haste.

Here's a truncated visual presentation of the book by the author in the same:
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P45BHDRA7pU[/yt]
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

mikemac

Yeah John 6.

"[48] I am the bread of life. ... [54] Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. [55] He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day."
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Bernadette

I wasn't looking to convince him; I was looking to strengthen my own faith. Belief in the Real Presence was what brought me back to practicing the Faith in college, and the things this priest said were just so jarring. It made me think: "if Jesus isn't present in the Blessed Sacrament as God and man, and the Blessed Sacrament isn't literally His Body, what the heck am I doing here?" It's become something of a sticking point, something I can't really get over. It's gotten to the point where I can't go to his Masses anymore.
My Lord and my God.

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Lynne

Quote from: Michael Wilson on January 01, 2019, 10:22:28 AM
Arvinger's post also jogged my memory; I once had a book on the interpretation of Jn. 6, by Cardinal Wiseman; in which he goes through the key verses in Our Lord's Eucharistic discourse to the Jews; very powerful; Cardinal Wiseman was a great scripture scholar, and Hebraist (sp?). I'm sorry I let the book out of my hands.

Look!

https://archive.org/details/RealPresenceOfTheBodyAndBlood/page/n1

ETA: Another edition...

https://archive.org/details/realpresenceofbo00wiseuoft/page/n5
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"