Conjuring contrition & remembering sins: how to balance?

Started by ServusMariae, May 13, 2018, 01:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ServusMariae

Does anyone else has this problem? Sometimes I find that I can stir up a contrition so sorrowful that I easily forget what specific sins to confess, & then when I keep a mental list of the sins to confess, I don't sound anywhere sincerely contrite when I head for the actual Sacrament of Penance. How do you juggle between being sorry for sins & remembering what to say in the confessional?

LausTibiChriste

I write em down.

Contrition is an action not an emotion
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Daniel

kayla_veronica

I write them down as well. Sometimes I forget to bring the list and use my fingers to help me remember.
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

Carleendiane

Quote from: ServusMariae on May 13, 2018, 01:02:39 AM
Does anyone else has this problem? Sometimes I find that I can stir up a contrition so sorrowful that I easily forget what specific sins to confess, & then when I keep a mental list of the sins to confess, I don't sound anywhere sincerely contrite when I head for the actual Sacrament of Penance. How do you juggle between being sorry for sins & remembering what to say in the confessional?

Been writing down in my own for of shorthand. Not decipherable by others, hopefully. That way if I lose it, I am not very concerned. I lose almost everything, but that list is the least of my concerns, because no one else could decipher. About proper emotion......don't worry, God knows. You confess to Jesus. The master at reading hearts. Plus if you forget something, it can be dealt with at next opportunity in confession. The Church is wonderfully understanding and allows for those incidents. If I sense I may have forgotten anything, I almost always remember to add on......"and any sins I may have forgotten." Not to worry because there was no intention to withhold. I usually will remember something I wish I had mentioned. You are not alone in that, Servus.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Elizabeth

I FINALLY remembered to confess something I'd meant to for ages, just last week. 
I think maybe Servus means compunction?  Is that what can cause that blackout in Confession?
Too bad I never remember to write iT all down...