Questions for Quare...

Started by St. Columba, December 11, 2018, 10:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quaremerepulisti

Quote from: St. Columba on December 19, 2018, 02:30:34 PM
...but the above is splitting hairs, no?  I mean, if a person sees that Catholicism is integrally sound in everything it teaches, it logically, and immediately, implies that it is the true religion, since no other religion teaches the exact same thing as Catholicism.  Religions that are not integrally true are false.

No.  It is that one sees that Catholicism is integrally holy, something which cannot be discerned via the intellect alone.  A man-made religion could, per accidens, teach the truth in everything it teaches.

QuoteSo which is it?  Supernatural faith is present if a person is merely certain that God exists, and is a rewarder to those that seek him?  Or does a person also have to know that Catholicism is integrally true?  If the former, then most muslims have supernatural faith....care to make that claim Quare?

You've confused a necessary condition with a sufficient one.  Get back to me when you're ready to honestly restate what I said.

Quaremerepulisti

Quote from: St.Justin on December 19, 2018, 02:28:47 PM
...In shifting the debate from "what is true" to "of what can I be certain?," Descartes arguably shifted the authoritative guarantor of truth from God to humanity (even though Descartes himself claimed he received his visions from God)—while the traditional concept of "truth" implies an external authority, "certainty" instead relies on the judgment of the individual...

This is really stupid.  I mean, mind-numbingly dumb, as though study of epistemology in itself implies truth is subjective.  Who would write such nonsense?  Oh yeah, this "authoritative" source...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9_Descartes

crammed with references to Heidegger.

QuoteThe above explains why you can't argue with this man. He is a modernist through and through. He totally doesn't find your methods of argument worthy of his "intellect" as he sees himself as a totally emancipated human being with no boundries..

Uh, OK, whatever floats your boat.

But actually what happened is that after Descartes uncomfortable questions began to get raised regarding epistemology of faith, which the Church's theologians really couldn't answer - they couldn't any longer just peremptorily state "this is the truth and we know it is the truth because it is the truth" but actually had to answer HOW one knew it was the truth.  The cheap, easy way out is to simply accuse the latter question of "subjectivism".

St.Justin

Your answers substantiated what I posted. Thank you.

St. Columba

Quote from: Quaremerepulisti on December 19, 2018, 02:47:59 PM
Get back to me when you're ready to honestly restate what I said.

It's ok Quare.  Thank you very much for the time you invested in answering my questions.  I really do appreciate it.  I wish you, and your entire family, a most blessed and happy Christmas. 

Until next time, with every good wish,

Peter
People don't have ideas...ideas have people.  - Jordan Peterson quoting Carl Jung