Rootkits and Recovering 2 Systems

Started by Baroux, April 09, 2024, 02:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baroux

Wondering about something. I may have gotten a rootkit on two systems of mine, or something that started uninstalling hardware drivers. Such as harddrive recognition drivers. I've booted up Windows 10 on a USB stick and tried reinstalling, but likely as not, the drivers are not included in the ISO from Microsoft.

[Edit] This had a link to the drivers in question... Blog post about this problem
I like potatoes

james03

I read the link. 

QuoteCreate a folder named "temp" on your C drive and then paste the downloaded

But you can't access the C drive.

QuoteOpen Windows PowerShell (Admin) on your computer.

Windows isn't installed.

It looks like you need (2) USB drives.  One with the ISO image and another with the drivers.  You then start up your computer, and then do the install.  Then follow the advice on the blog post to install the driver off the second USB drive.

Kind of weird that Windows doesn't come with hard drive drivers.  I don't have Windows, so hopefully others can chime in.  Worst case, take it to the shop.

Note if you have files on your hard drive, doing an install is almost guaranteed to nuke them. I'd get a shop to recover you personal files before attempting what you are doing.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"