Would you rather...?

Started by LausTibiChriste, April 25, 2024, 10:11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LausTibiChriste

Had to throw in the last option just for fun...

Anyways, I know a couple westerners who are Trad and have moved to Russia because they were fed up with the woke, LGBT nonsense in their home countries (American + European).

I don't blame them at all, in fact I quite admire them as they've both made it work well and are thriving.

However, being here, the sacramental life is far from ideal and it's basically "bare minimum". For me personally, I don't know if I could make the move on that alone. I'd rather live in rural, secular France where SSPX, ICKSP and FSSP parishes are all within a 1 hour drive and offer daily Mass, rather than live in Moscow and have a weekly Mass in a damp basement in the middle of nowhere.

I know everyone is different and every family dynamic is different, so I'm curious as to which option people here would chose given the opportunity.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Bonaventure

Moving to Russia, Hungary, or any other supposedly nnnnnnnnnBased country in my opinion would often do more harm than good.

It's going from stage 4 cancer to stage 1 or 2.

Answered "other" since I wouldn't say Russia, Philippines, Nigeria, etc are "non woke." Just less infected.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

clau clau

I voted for the first.

Frodo: 'I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.'

Gandalf: 'So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides that of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring, in which case you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought."
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Kaesekopf

"Grow where you are planted" is my usual take on things.

God placed me in a certain location for a certain reason.  I'm not going to travel the world to find the Goldilocks place for me. 

Also, I agree with @clau clau's post with regards to the LOTR quote. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The Curt Jester

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 25, 2024, 01:10:06 PM"Grow where you are planted" is my usual take on things.

God placed me in a certain location for a certain reason.  I'm not going to travel the world to find the Goldilocks place for me. 

Also, I agree with @clau clau's post with regards to the LOTR quote. 

Basically what I would say.  I don't like the state I live in, but it's where I am and it's where my family is. There aren't a whole lot of places to run these days even if I were inclined to do so.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Bonaventure

Moving doesn't solve your problems. It solves one and creates others. 

Been there, done that.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Heinrich

I picked other. I would prefer to live in 1938 Munich. Laus, I(and many others) are eagerly awaiting your anecdotes, assessments, and compare/contrasts of your trip. Also, curiously, what are the nationalities of the Society priests serving the mission there? Spasseeva.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Michael Wilson

I moved to Saint Mary's precisely because of the availability of the Sacraments. I would not live in a place where I could not assist at Mass and go to Confession at least once a month. And if I did live in such a place, I would be doing all that I could to get the heck out of there.
There is a second thing; I'm an old man,and (by the grace of God) I am going to die a Catholic; but if I was a young married man with children, I would be asking myself: "What is going to happen to my children when they grow up? Without the chance to regularly receive the sacraments, what kind of Catholics will they become? If they want to get married, where will they find a practicing trad Catholic spouse? Surrounded by non-Catholics, chances are they will probably end up in a mixed marriage, with a great peril to their faith, and also that of their children. Secondly what about my children with a religious vocation? Where would they go?
Thirdly, I voted the third option! :laugh:
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

drummerboy

Option 2.  Non-woke society but limited access.  This woke secular culture is claiming far too many, even amongst traditional Catholics.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

EastWest7

I voted for the third option. So far, my kids, their spouses attend my wife's very conservative (almost trad) novus ordo parish. Grandkids are in the parochial school of a somewhat liberal parish nearby. I attend either Byzantine Catholic or the local diocesan TLM (which has a limited time before Rome decides not to renew our extension, at which time I will attend a local SSPX parish).
What terrifies me (and I pray about it daily) is what the future will hold in store for my grandchildren. My kids are solidly conservative but my daughter's in-laws are quite Leftist and the mother-in-law often pushes that agenda in earshot of the grandkids. I usually keep my mouth shut except when I deem it necessary to protect my grandkids' developing world view.

As my wife and son know, my opinion is that America and the West are under God's judgment for obvious reasons.  At my wife's and my age, I don't see us moving.

I think overall my access to the sacraments will be relatively good. However, I don't rule out my kids and grandkids having to make some very difficult choices eventually relative to keeping their Catholic faith and getting higher education, decent jobs and healthcare. Hope I am wrong.   
Before Abraham was, I AM. John 8:58

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Heinrich on April 25, 2024, 05:08:24 PMI picked other. I would prefer to live in 1938 Munich. Laus, I(and many others) are eagerly awaiting your anecdotes, assessments, and compare/contrasts of your trip. Also, curiously, what are the nationalities of the Society priests serving the mission there? Spasseeva.

Sure thing - what exactly would you like to know?

The one priest is Russian [speaks English] and the other one, I believe, is Ukrainian (I think he's from SSJK but I'm not 100% sure- doesn't speak English)

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Michael Wilson on April 25, 2024, 05:09:01 PMI moved to Saint Mary's precisely because of the availability of the Sacraments. I would not live in a place where I could not assist at Mass and go to Confession at least once a month. And if I did live in such a place, I would be doing all that I could to get the heck out of there.
There is a second thing; I'm an old man,and (by the grace of God) I am going to die a Catholic; but if I was a young married man with children, I would be asking myself: "What is going to happen to my children when they grow up? Without the chance to regularly receive the sacraments, what kind of Catholics will they become? If they want to get married, where will they find a practicing trad Catholic spouse? Surrounded by non-Catholics, chances are they will probably end up in a mixed marriage, with a great peril to their faith, and also that of their children. Secondly what about my children with a religious vocation? Where would they go?

I almost wonder if it would be sinful putting my kids into a society that is so heavily Orthodox (and by extension anti-Catholic). The ease to which they could switch to Orthodoxy would be huge, and that would be on me.

- MaximGun

queen.saints

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on April 26, 2024, 01:31:27 AM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on April 25, 2024, 05:09:01 PMI moved to Saint Mary's precisely because of the availability of the Sacraments. I would not live in a place where I could not assist at Mass and go to Confession at least once a month. And if I did live in such a place, I would be doing all that I could to get the heck out of there.

I almost wonder if it would be sinful putting my kids into a society that is so heavily Orthodox (and by extension anti-Catholic). The ease to which they could switch to Orthodoxy would be huge, and that would be on me.

After moving to a Catholic country, I've seen more how much my mind was warped and poisoned by the Protestantism in America. Even though this country would look quite corrupted at first glance, when you're on the inside you see that there is a totally different mindset that is fundamentally influenced by Catholicism.

One area this has been such a blessing in has been marriage and raising children.

In America (which I deeply love and which has many other good qualities) there is a pervasive atmosphere of antagonism between men and women.

The MGTOW and most of the trad-wife movement is just taking a different side in what is fundamentally a bitter and hateful fight.

There is a pervasive fear that your marriage could irreparably break down and there's nothing you or God can do about it.

There's a pervasive fear that your children could grow up to hate you and abandon the Faith no matter your best efforts or intentions.

I recently mentioned this to a random driver asking about moving to America
and he agreed and said he did actually notice the same thing when he was living in England and it's true that it's not the case here.

Here, at least in this part, there's usually an underlying love and trust between men and women, even during the most difficult moments, just like Catholicism teaches there should be.

There's an assumption that your marriage will be very happy and last a lifetime, just like God promised you on your Catholic wedding day that it can and should be.

There's an assumption that children will at least always love their mother for life, and usually their father. And while they may lose the Faith, it's often because there were not the best efforts or intentions somewhere along the line, but this love can be a powerful force helping them not go very far and in eventually coming back.

And it's so amazing to think that I could have been living this way my whole life if I had actually been really listening to what the Catholic Church was saying all along like I should have. 
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: queen.saints on April 26, 2024, 04:47:07 AM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on April 26, 2024, 01:31:27 AM

After moving to a Catholic country, I've seen more how much my mind was warped and poisoned by the Protestantism in America. Even though this country would look quite corrupted at first glance, when you're on the inside you see that there is a totally different mindset that is fundamentally influenced by Catholicism.

One area this has been such a blessing in has been marriage and raising children.

In America (which I deeply love and which has many other good qualities) there is a pervasive atmosphere of antagonism between men and women.

The MGTOW and most of the trad-wife movement is just taking a different side in what is fundamentally a bitter and hateful fight.

There is a pervasive fear that your marriage could irreparably break down and there's nothing you or God can do about it.

There's a pervasive fear that your children could grow up to hate you and abandon the Faith no matter your best efforts or intentions.

I recently mentioned this to a random driver asking about moving to America
and he agreed and said he did actually notice the same thing when he was living in England and it's true that it's not the case here.

Here, at least in this part, there's usually an underlying love and trust between men and women, even during the most difficult moments, just like Catholicism teaches there should be.

There's an assumption that your marriage will be happy and last a lifetime, just like God promised you on your Catholic wedding day that it can and should.

There's an assumption that children will at least always love their mother for life, and usually their father. And while they may lose the Faith, it's often because there were not the best efforts or intentions somewhere along the line, but this love can be a powerful force helping them not go very far and in eventually coming back.

And it's so amazing to think that I could have been living this way my whole life if I had actually been really listening to what the Catholic Church was saying all along like I should have. 

Agreed.

And even if some of those post-Catholic countries are now dumps, they're still FULL of Catholicism EVERYWHERE. I'm talking shrines on the road side, icons of Mary on the buildings, stores closed on Sundays, Churches everywhere etc.

Depends on your personality I guess, but for me that stuff is extremely beneficial.

- MaximGun

queen.saints

Wow, yeah, excellent point as well.

You can pick up some miraculous water on your way home from the grocery store or stop and pray at a place where there's real martyrs' blood spilled on your family walk.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.