Any Europeans on SD, university question?

Started by diaduit, May 23, 2019, 12:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diaduit

https://www.eunicas.ie/

I am Irish and being in the EU we can avail of the universities outside of Ireland.  Here it is extraordinarily expensive, on average €40k per child to fund a third level education.  We can qualify for a grant but even then accommodation and fees are jaw dropping.  I have a link included where EU universities are offering courses through Englilsh, accommodation is way way cheaper and you can use your grant there if it is a public university.  Flights are cheap and regular.  Big bonus is that they don't operate a points system which is cutthroat here.  You need to get a basic leaving cert (which is similar to stats in US I think), with honours in relevant subject.
There are some great opportunities and it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to do it.  I am looking to Poland which would be a good country to go to, Catholic and not so left wing like all the other third level colleges.    I think it would cost about a quarter of what it would here and it would make a man out of my son being out from under our roof and be independent.

Anybody any experience of this?

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: diaduit on May 23, 2019, 12:27:01 PM
There are some great opportunities and it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to do it.  I am looking to Poland which would be a good country to go to, Catholic and not so left wing like all the other third level colleges. I think it would cost about a quarter of what it would here and it would make a man out of my son being out from under our roof and be independent.

If sending your son to Poland is actually that cheaper than I see no reason why you shouldn't.

But I would really prioritize the subject he's going to study over the location.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Heinrich

I am not politically European, but ethnically European. Is that OK?

Do some Googling on studying in Germany. If your kids are fluent in German, they can attend (tuition) free of charge. No foolin'.  There is an incredible amount of information out there. LMU is my recommendation since it was partnered with my undergraduate uni here in the states.

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

diaduit

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on May 24, 2019, 12:17:50 PM
Quote from: diaduit on May 23, 2019, 12:27:01 PM
There are some great opportunities and it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to do it.  I am looking to Poland which would be a good country to go to, Catholic and not so left wing like all the other third level colleges. I think it would cost about a quarter of what it would here and it would make a man out of my son being out from under our roof and be independent.

If sending your son to Poland is actually that cheaper than I see no reason why you shouldn't.

But I would really prioritize the subject he's going to study over the location.

Oh absolutely.  No sissy courses allowed for our family.  You study humanities or gender studies and your dead to mle  >:(

Looking at physiotherapy/radiotherapy or a complete opposite field of engineering.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: diaduit on May 26, 2019, 01:52:22 AM
You study humanities or gender studies and your dead to me

This is a wrong approach.

Okay, point granted on the modern "gender studies," but humanities is a field with lot of intellectual depth: history, linguistics, philosophy, anthropology, sociology, etc. The hard sciences are generally more rewarding in terms of job offers but in the end it's your son who should make his choice.

If you force him to study a subject he loathes, it will just be time and money wasted. Advise him on what to study, yes, but let him make an informed choice in the end, instead of pressuring him into a box. He will resent you for it.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Sempronius

I studied humanities and I regret it very much. I hope that your son takes a proper program. If he doesnt..Well, what can one do?

diaduit

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on May 26, 2019, 10:07:22 AM
Quote from: diaduit on May 26, 2019, 01:52:22 AM
You study humanities or gender studies and your dead to me

This is a wrong approach.

Okay, point granted on the modern "gender studies," but humanities is a field with lot of intellectual depth: history, linguistics, philosophy, anthropology, sociology, etc. The hard sciences are generally more rewarding in terms of job offers but in the end it's your son who should make his choice.

If you force him to study a subject he loathes, it will just be time and money wasted. Advise him on what to study, yes, but let him make an informed choice in the end, instead of pressuring him into a box. He will resent you for it.

Its ok , he is on board with this.  But I have told my two older kids, if you pick field that does not lead to a proper career potential they can fund it themselves.  No way are dh and I pumping 40k into a college education that does not produce a proper job or almost guarantees he leaves uni as a left wing nitwit with no faith.
If he decides to do an apprenticeship and not go to college, we will fund it too.  We're not pressurising him into college but I am not getting into debt for an 'eat pray love' experience. 

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: diaduit on May 27, 2019, 12:12:40 AM
Its ok, he is on board with this.

Good.

Quote from: diaduit on May 27, 2019, 12:12:40 AM
But I have told my two older kids, if you pick field that does not lead to a proper career potential they can fund it themselves.  No way are dh and I pumping 40k into a college education that does not produce a proper job or almost guarantees he leaves uni as a left wing nitwit with no faith.

It really depends on what you mean by "proper job" and "proper career potential." There are job opportunities for people who study the social sciences. I was simply pointing out that if your son would be forced to study a subject he loathed just because of a perceived career potential, he'd likely resent it and it would become a waste of everyone's time. However, given your response above, it seems your son and yourself are on the same page there, so that's fine.

As far as becoming a left-wing atheist, I'm afraid he can lapse anywhere. In fact, it's more likely he would make that radical turn if he harbored resentment towards his parents, rather than simply by being exposed to progressive literature.

Quote from: diaduit on May 27, 2019, 12:12:40 AMWe're not pressurising him into college but I am not getting into debt for an 'eat pray love' experience.

Of course. That's wise.

However, the proper study of humanities is not an "eat, pray, love" experience either. It's hard work and culturally enriching, if the University is worth its salt.

Heinrich

A very good friend of mine majored in Classics at a selective college: four years of rigorous Latin, Greek, English, and ancient history. Sounds delectable for a bibliophile type and projects a horrid picture of nothingness in a career.

He's now a systems/cloud security engineer.That's right, a top notch programmer with a security clearance. I am guessing with his 25+ years of experience he's at a $100+ per hour wage marker. He supports a wife and 12 children. Well, nine since three are out on their own.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgeanders/2015/07/29/liberal-arts-degree-tech/#4b6862c2745d
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Fleur-de-Lys

The Humanities are invaluable, but they were never meant to be a full-time pursuit for those who have to work for a living. Only those at the very top of their field can make a career of it, and even then the career usually consists mainly in teaching the Humanities. :lol: My husband has been lucky enough to make a success of it, but I would not recommend the same to anyone, not in the current climate. Of course, if you're studying just for the pleasure and enrichment of it, that's another story.

diaduit

Quote from: Heinrich on May 27, 2019, 05:05:35 PM
A very good friend of mine majored in Classics at a selective college: four years of rigorous Latin, Greek, English, and ancient history. Sounds delectable for a bibliophile type and projects a horrid picture of nothingness in a career.

He's now a systems/cloud security engineer.That's right, a top notch programmer with a security clearance. I am guessing with his 25+ years of experience he's at a $100+ per hour wage marker. He supports a wife and 12 children. Well, nine since three are out on their own.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgeanders/2015/07/29/liberal-arts-degree-tech/#4b6862c2745d

What was the route he took?  Did he jump straight in to this career from his 4 year degree?  how did he jump from classics to IT engineering?

diaduit

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on May 27, 2019, 05:19:30 PM
The Humanities are invaluable, but they were never meant to be a full-time pursuit for those who have to work for a living. Only those at the very top of their field can make a career of it, and even then the career usually consists mainly in teaching the Humanities. :lol: My husband has been lucky enough to make a success of it, but I would not recommend the same to anyone, not in the current climate. Of course, if you're studying just for the pleasure and enrichment of it, that's another story.

This is something I realise but realistically how many tenures in a Uni are there for humanities lecturer, your dh is very lucky and how did his faith survive what is usually a degree course riddled in left wing extremism?

As for humanities/social sciences being invaluable I agree.  However our family will not suffer hefty financial burden for my children to study this.  If he gets his ducks in a row for his career he can always pursue this further when he has his own life in order first.

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: diaduit on May 28, 2019, 01:22:39 AM
This is something I realise but realistically how many tenures in a Uni are there for humanities lecturer, your dh is very lucky and how did his faith survive what is usually a degree course riddled in left wing extremism?

As for humanities/social sciences being invaluable I agree.  However our family will not suffer hefty financial burden for my children to study this.  If he gets his ducks in a row for his career he can always pursue this further when he has his own life in order first.

His faith has never been in question, thank God, but his career has many times, because of it.

Gardener

Quote from: diaduit on May 28, 2019, 01:18:41 AM

What was the route he took?  Did he jump straight in to this career from his 4 year degree?  how did he jump from classics to IT engineering?

Probably realized there's no money in such work as needed to raise a family and went the smarter route.

One does not simply quote Chaucer in an IT interview and gobsmack everyone with their literary awareness. If one intends to do IT, they should go after things which better feed into such work.

The benefit of LibArts for IT are things like:

* Form coherent sentences
* Understand complex arguments (mathematics is good for this as well since it tends to be more visual)
* Have a background in cultural awareness and overall "whole person" betterment
* If foreign language learning is in one's back pocket, this can aid in more quickly grasping syntax of code writing (if a programmer) since code is literally a language

Historically, IT guys are a bunch of shoe-gazing geniuses who could ride the coattails of their brainiac, semi-autistic abilities to make things work. That is changing. Now, fortunately or unfortunately, we have to be able to give presentations, carry on conversations, and still fix stuff.

However, the meme still holds true for a lot of programmers: smart, dirty, grimy, and just plain weird.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Heinrich

Quote from: diaduit on May 28, 2019, 01:18:41 AM

Picked up a "For Dummies" at a part time hotel job, if I recall his narrative. From there it was entry level, lateral, more O.T.J.T., more independent/autodidactic training/learning, promotions, etc. Repeat until he can pretty much name his price.