I guess they can still make pretty stained glass! [Adoremus Bulletin]

Started by Kaesekopf, August 17, 2015, 01:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

From the cover of the Adoremus bulletin:
"We illustrate the indebtedness of our center to both St. Thomas Aquinas and Blessed John Newman in the stained glass window above the high altar. It's the largest stained glass window installed in a Catholic Church in 100 years. It was built in Munich by Franz Mayer & Company. Measuring 20x24 feet, it pictures Christ on the heavenly throne surrounded by angels and saints that have to do with either learning or working with youth. To his right is St. Thomas, the Angelic doctor and great teacher of the faith, and to his left is Blessed John Henry Newman, who is the patron of Newman Centers, Catholic campus ministries and the apostolate to college students. The window also includes St. Albert the Great (not pictured), a teacher of St. Thomas renowned in his own right for his contributions to philosophy and theology, and St. John Paul II, a great icon for the youth. The window also shows Blessed Giorgio Frassati and St. Therese of the Little Flower. All these figures in the window depict something related to young people, to the teaching or evangelizing of the youth."
– Bishop James D. Conley, Bishop of the Diocese of Lincoln.

The Stained Glass Window in St. Thomas Aquinas Church, Lincoln, Nebraska

For a better photo, check out the Adoremus Bulletin for July.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Arun

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

dymphna17

That is very nice.  I'd love to learn how to do that.  I'll bet there are youtube videos on how to do it.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Arun

Quote from: dymphna17 on August 17, 2015, 06:40:35 PM
That is very nice.  I'd love to learn how to do that.  I'll bet there are youtube videos on how to do it.

wonder if my landlord would mind if i did that here...  ;D

we did once, a long time ago, have some stained glass window images photocopied onto this clear plastic stuff like what they use for an overhead projector, and stuck it to the windows. looked pretty cool.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

dymphna17

Our neighbors made some stained glass pieces, had them framed, and hung them in the window to get the effect.  That way they didn't ruin anything and were able to take it with them when they moved.  Great idea!
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Kaesekopf

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Kaesekopf

Akavit

The oft-heard phrase "they don't make them like they used to" isn't very accurate.  Great artisans still exist in every trade.  I'd even argue that thanks to fast travel and free information, today's artisans are some of the best.

It's the lack of the long-view in contemporary society that prevents things like this from being more common.  In one of his conferences, Duncan Stroik commented that a major issue in church architecture is the mindset that churches are built in 5 years.  Committees cut costs until they can squeeze every last item into the budget afforded by a single capital campaign.  The result is an uninspiring structure (needed to save money for stained glass) and lousy stained glass (wasn't enough left over in the budget for quality work).

They should be built over decades or even centuries.  It was common practice to raise a church with ordinary glass then add the stained glass when money permitted.  Patience wins all (now who said that?).

Back on topic, some of the awe-factor is missing for me because I literally grew up attending Mass at a small church with windows that had this exact style and coloring.  It sort of makes me take this for granted because I just expect all stained glass to look like this.

Arun

Quote from: Akavit on August 20, 2015, 08:45:08 PM
The oft-heard phrase "they don't make them like they used to" isn't very accurate.  Great artisans still exist in every trade.  I'd even argue that thanks to fast travel and free information, today's artisans are some of the best.

It's the lack of the long-view in contemporary society that prevents things like this from being more common.  In one of his conferences, Duncan Stroik commented that a major issue in church architecture is the mindset that churches are built in 5 years.  Committees cut costs until they can squeeze every last item into the budget afforded by a single capital campaign.  The result is an uninspiring structure (needed to save money for stained glass) and lousy stained glass (wasn't enough left over in the budget for quality work).

They should be built over decades or even centuries.  It was common practice to raise a church with ordinary glass then add the stained glass when money permitted.  Patience wins all (now who said that?).

Back on topic, some of the awe-factor is missing for me because I literally grew up attending Mass at a small church with windows that had this exact style and coloring.  It sort of makes me take this for granted because I just expect all stained glass to look like this.

yeah i've always noticed many of the best stained glass windows i have seen have a tendency to include a request to pray for the financier's soul in the work somewhere.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR