Author Topic: Kitchen Foreman  (Read 759 times)

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
Kitchen Foreman
« on: August 07, 2021, 08:45:04 PM »
Long story short: lately, I've been waking up *almost* every morning to kitchen chores done poorly by the kids (mainly, they are slacking on wiping surfaces and sweeping).  I got fed up, so I made an announcement at dinner tonight: every morning that I wake up and put my books onto a sticky counter top when I go to do my morning prayers, everyone owes me a dollar!  My husband says to hold up; he has a better idea.  And truly, it was genius:

Each week, we will have a Kitchen Foreman to oversee kitchen duties after dinner (note: expectations for what constitutes a clean kitchen are clearly laid out and understood, including a posted checklist titled: "The Kitchen is Not Clean Until......"). If I wake up to chores not done to expectations, then only the Foreman pays me a dollar.  And only the oldest four children get to fill the Foreman role, for obvious reasons.

Can't wait to see how this plays out  ;D

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Lynne, Michael Wilson, Christe Eleison, Melkor

Offline Melkor

• Wachtmeister
  • memento mori
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Kitchen Foreman
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 10:31:40 PM »
Long story short: lately, I've been waking up *almost* every morning to kitchen chores done poorly by the kids (mainly, they are slacking on wiping surfaces and sweeping).  I got fed up, so I made an announcement at dinner tonight: every morning that I wake up and put my books onto a sticky counter top when I go to do my morning prayers, everyone owes me a dollar!  My husband says to hold up; he has a better idea.  And truly, it was genius:

Each week, we will have a Kitchen Foreman to oversee kitchen duties after dinner (note: expectations for what constitutes a clean kitchen are clearly laid out and understood, including a posted checklist titled: "The Kitchen is Not Clean Until......"). If I wake up to chores not done to expectations, then only the Foreman pays me a dollar.  And only the oldest four children get to fill the Foreman role, for obvious reasons.

Can't wait to see how this plays out  ;D

My parents have the same system (kind of). Each day has a different supervisor in charge of making sure every one does their respective job.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." - G.K. Chesterton

"The people will believe what the media tells them they believe." - George Orwell

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Michael Wilson, MundaCorMeum, Christe Eleison

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 09:37:57 AM »
My aunt was the foreman. We had to do it again until it was done right.
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson, Christe Eleison, Melkor

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 02:07:40 PM »
One Saturday years ago I assigned a foreman for Saturday chores. The workers unionized and the whole thing collapsed. There were a few hammer fists to the back on vacuuming steps duty.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Michael Wilson, MundaCorMeum, Christe Eleison

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 05:37:59 PM »
One Saturday years ago I assigned a foreman for Saturday chores. The workers unionized and the whole thing collapsed. There were a few hammer fists to the back on vacuuming steps duty.

This is definitely a possibility here  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Lynne, Michael Wilson

Offline The Curt Jester

• Water-drinker at the Coffee Social
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Neo-Pelagian Angry Traditionalist with Narcissistic Tendencies
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2021, 08:21:49 PM »
How about a four-year-old managing the kitchen?  My son would make tacos at that age with the supervision of my wife, but he actually could do it on his own (not that we let him).  One day we caught him making himself an egg.  He wasn't supposed to do that, but I was actually impressed that he got the egg out of the fridge, pulled up a stool to stand on, put the pan on the burner, got a spatula, reached to the top of the stove to turn on the burner (he got the correct one), successfully cracked the egg without getting shell into the pan, and busily stirring it when we came upon him.

Did I say that he moves with lightning speed all the time?

Still, I doubt he'd do well managing others in the kitchen. Maybe when he's older.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Lynne, MundaCorMeum, Christina_S, Christe Eleison

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2021, 09:06:03 PM »
How about a four-year-old managing the kitchen?  My son would make tacos at that age with the supervision of my wife, but he actually could do it on his own (not that we let him).  One day we caught him making himself an egg.  He wasn't supposed to do that, but I was actually impressed that he got the egg out of the fridge, pulled up a stool to stand on, put the pan on the burner, got a spatula, reached to the top of the stove to turn on the burner (he got the correct one), successfully cracked the egg without getting shell into the pan, and busily stirring it when we came upon him.

Did I say that he moves with lightning speed all the time?

Still, I doubt he'd do well managing others in the kitchen. Maybe when he's older.

How well does he clean up afterwards, though?  That's the kicker. 

But, yeah, that's awesome that he can do that at his age.  I'd encourage it as long as he's not a danger to himself, and won't burn the house down  ;D. Managing a team of siblings is not recommended at that age, for sure  8). 10 and up is our new Foreman rule.  They actually took to it really well, and are already working on how to make it work as a team.  I'm sure there will still be problems and bickering, but I can see it being a good system, overall.... unless they unionize and revolt, a la Heinrich
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 09:22:04 PM by MundaCorMeum »

The following users thanked this post: Lynne

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2021, 09:11:03 PM »
My aunt was the foreman. We had to do it again until it was done right.

That's what I've been doing, but it just doesn't seem to stick for them to simply do it right the first time.  The temptation to instant gratification of getting it done quickly, so they can do what they want is too strong.  And I'm often too tired by then of the day to thoroughly oversee it well. I prefer to do inspection in the morning. Plus, they've reached the ages where they need to learn self-motivation and discipline, and to not always have Momma micro manage them.  It's good for them to work as a team and take responsibility for their own duties a little more.

Online Christina_S

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Sub tuum praesidium
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 03:22:06 PM »
Munda, is this system still working? I only have one kid right now, but I hope to someday have a small army and appoint a kitchen foreman if the system works!
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband!
Latest posts: - The Woman Is the Heart of the Home
- A Brief History of Residential Schools
- The Foolish Communicant

https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/

The following users thanked this post: MundaCorMeum, queen.saints, ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 08:13:24 PM »
Munda, is this system still working? I only have one kid right now, but I hope to someday have a small army and appoint a kitchen foreman if the system works!

It has been working very well, actually.  We have not been able to implement it in the last few weeks, as we've been hosting family and then on vacation.  But, I plan to start up again tomorrow.  Of course, as with all things, it doesn't mean it always runs perfectly smoothly and it eliminates all issues/bickerings, but it's a great system for our current family dynamics.  I love it.  I've even made enough cash so far to treat myself to a coffee  8)

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, queen.saints

Online Christina_S

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Sub tuum praesidium
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2021, 09:29:55 AM »
Haha, amazing! Glad to hear it's going well.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

The following users thanked this post: MundaCorMeum

Offline LausTibiChriste

• Pureblood
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Our Lady of Fatima, Ora Pro Nobis
  • Religion: Russian Greek Catholic
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 10:03:28 AM »
Great idea.

Gardener posted a story about something similar here years ago...

His buddy was moving and so a bunch of guys got together to help. Then buddy had his teenage son plan it all and they went along with it all, let him figure things out etc.

Maybe Gardener can relive the story because I'm going off memory and too lazy to search right now.

That sort of responsibility is super important for kids and I wish I had something like that when I was growing up. Military fixed that pretty fast:

Officer: Ok Laus, take 6 guys and search the lower decks. You're in charge. Don't f*** it up.
Me: *swigs rum*
       *lights a smoke*
       *cries internally*
       Alright chaps, let's roll

lol

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"I'm just here to punch heretics and pray my Rosary"
- Christina_S

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, MundaCorMeum, Christina_S, Christe Eleison, Melkor

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 02:25:51 PM »
My husband tells the kids, boys especially, after he gives them a job or task list: "do you understand what I want you to do?" *Yes, sir* "good.  Don't fail me.".  ;D.   Most other parents get a look of fear in their eyes when I tell them he does that.  Doesn't bother the kids at all.  It's good for them.  Especially when they earn their "nice job, son" from their Dad.

The following users thanked this post: LausTibiChriste

Online Christina_S

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Sub tuum praesidium
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 04:27:21 PM »
In my childhood, I had a choir director who worked us hard. Every piece had to be memorized, we had to be able to sing our part strongly on our own, and for performances, all long hair had to be French braided as part of the uniform. It was tough to work up to her standards, and while we never felt belittled or put down, all the choristers certainly thought the practices were challenging.

Yet when she smiled at us during the applause at a concert, it was the most rewarding feeling.

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, MundaCorMeum