Expenses of caring for pets

Started by Jayne, June 15, 2021, 11:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

I was intellectually aware that the expense of caring for pets could end up being a lot, but now that I have a dog I am experiencing it.  I expect to face more decisions of this sort as time goes on and I'm wondering what other pet owners here do/think.

What sort of Catholic principles do people use to decide how much is reasonable to spend on pets and what expenses are justified? 
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The Curt Jester

What expenses would depend upon your means.   For me, beyond the initial cost of getting a pet, anything that costs more than a couple hundred would mean the axe.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Jacob

At another web community I visit, people are by and large on the left.  I go there mostly to read about movies as some of them have good taste.

One section of the site is Q and A and there are a lot of questions about pets and how to handle things.  In the absence of children, these people are willing to fork over thousands and tens of thousands of dollars for their pets' care as they deal with everything from getting hit by a car to pet cancer.  I've even seen commercials on TV for pet funerals, honest to goodness funerals at funeral homes.

In the end, there is no upper limit on what people are willing to spend.  So you need to make a decision.  You love your dog, but are you going to be one of those people?
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

The Curt Jester

Something else to think about:  if the cost of caring for an old pet becomes more than that of obtaining a new one, just get a new one.  This will mean (generally) an animal that is less grumpy, an animal that is less likely to mess on the floor, and an animal that is much more likely to be useful (watchdog, mouser, etc.).
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

red solo cup

I can't remember his name but there is a poster on here who once said that the only way to justify the cost of pet food was if one planned one day to eat the afore mentioned pet. I think he may have once lived out in the Atlantic.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Michael Wilson

I love dogs; always had a dog in my life; but they are not for everyone, since they require lots of care; time and money. If you don't love the animal, then it isn't worth the time or the money.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

TandJ

We have a lot of animals (cat, dog, snake, fish) and take good care of them but if they were to become seriously sick we'd euthanize. We cannot afford a huge vet bill so we try to use preventative care as much as possible. We raw feed the new puppy and use flea and tick meds and my old dog is on a glucosamine supplement. Frozen rats are pricey for the snake but oh well, especially when it decides it doesn't want to eat the rat we thawed.. We feed a good quality kibble for the senior dog. The animals give our family a lot of entertainment so it's worth it for us.

I grew up with horses and THAT is an expensive pet.