Downside of being fluent in multiple languages from young age.

Started by Philip G., March 24, 2021, 08:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melkor

Quote from: Philip G. on March 27, 2021, 11:20:31 AM
Quote from: aquinas138 on March 27, 2021, 07:52:02 AM
There are no downsides. As for the proper age, a child learns completely differently than an adult, so I would say there is no age too young *in a bilingual home.* Children have an amazing capacity to learn even 4-5 languages at a time, but they have to be surrounded by it, not taught it. Children can't really learn language that way until they are older—their brains are just wired differently.

On a tangential note, a very interesting study some years ago indicated that the number one factor in people retaining a second, minority language into adulthood was that their fathers spoke to their mothers in the minority language.

Hooray for multiculturalism!  Not.  There has to be a downside.  If there is no downside, then there is no upside.  And, do not suggest that it is neutral.  Jesus judges nations/cultures against other nations/cultures.  Languages are proximate to that form of judgement.  If you don't agree, I might just have to unleash some LOTR speech of Mordor truth on you.  And, we all know how that enjoys unanimous consent around here. So, being multicultural from a young age is not neutral.  "On the lips of infants and babes, God has perfected praise."  An infant does not speak a language.  As for children, who can speak languages, Jesus said, "suffer the children to come unto me."  That means that children can be sanctified, and children can be cursed regarding language.

Uh. No. Jesus is not racist, he doesn't judge cultures and nations. It's on the individual man, not the nation of the individual.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Philip G.

Quote from: Christina_S on March 27, 2021, 02:14:54 PM
Being fluent in multiple languages does not necessarily equal multiculturalism.

There is a difference between learning another language for, say, academic purposes, and learning it for everyday use in its country/locale of origin. For example, learning Latin simply for the sake of reading canon law is different from learning it because you're a sucker for Roman mythology and love going to toga parties. There are some languages where it's easy to get sucked into some of the negative cultural components: Quebecois French is LOADED with swear words taken from religious imagery. But I think we can distinguish between multiculturalism and just being well-educated.

Latin is a dead language that you do not learn by way of immersion.  You learn it by way of education, which begins with literacy.

Aside from that, multiple languages implies multiculturalism.  Multiculturalism is characteristic of societal crossroads.  And, when it is overemphasized they no longer remain a minority, but become a majority, and then the jews dominate them, and the world by way of them.  The worlds principal crossroad, which is jerusalem, is not only not principally multicultural, it is not even principally cultural, it is principally a zionist religious state.  Promoting multiple languages is promoting multiculturalism.  It might , if genuine, even be promoting feminism, as it in my opinion implies multiple mothers by way of the concept of "mother tongue".  The two worlds that thrive among the bilingual are the gentile-feminist society, and the orthodox/male religious-zionist society.  Neither of those are good for catholics. 
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Philip G.

Quote from: Melkor on March 27, 2021, 02:27:36 PM
Quote from: Philip G. on March 27, 2021, 11:20:31 AM
Quote from: aquinas138 on March 27, 2021, 07:52:02 AM
There are no downsides. As for the proper age, a child learns completely differently than an adult, so I would say there is no age too young *in a bilingual home.* Children have an amazing capacity to learn even 4-5 languages at a time, but they have to be surrounded by it, not taught it. Children can't really learn language that way until they are older—their brains are just wired differently.

On a tangential note, a very interesting study some years ago indicated that the number one factor in people retaining a second, minority language into adulthood was that their fathers spoke to their mothers in the minority language.

Hooray for multiculturalism!  Not.  There has to be a downside.  If there is no downside, then there is no upside.  And, do not suggest that it is neutral.  Jesus judges nations/cultures against other nations/cultures.  Languages are proximate to that form of judgement.  If you don't agree, I might just have to unleash some LOTR speech of Mordor truth on you.  And, we all know how that enjoys unanimous consent around here. So, being multicultural from a young age is not neutral.  "On the lips of infants and babes, God has perfected praise."  An infant does not speak a language.  As for children, who can speak languages, Jesus said, "suffer the children to come unto me."  That means that children can be sanctified, and children can be cursed regarding language.

Uh. No. Jesus is not racist, he doesn't judge cultures and nations. It's on the individual man, not the nation of the individual.

Wrong.  Matthew 25, 31-46:  "And when the son of man shall come in his majesty, and all the angels with him, then shall he sit upon the seat of his majesty.  And all nations shall be gathered together before him, and he shall separate them one from another, as the shepherd separateth the sheep from the goats.  And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on his left.  Then shall the king say to them that shall be on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my father, possess you the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.... "

Matthew 10,15 "amen i say to you, it shall be more tolerable for the land of sodom and gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city".

For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Melkor

It's called context. If you were take everything in the Bible literally you would be screwed. And suggesting God has racial prejudices is dangerously close to a little heresy called double  predestination. If God is going to judge me based on the sins of my nation past or present, I quit. What's even the point of trying? Cmon Calvin, read your Catechism.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Heinrich

Philip G., how many languages do you speak, read, or understand(by listening)? Just curious. Although I do have a bit of a lifetime of studying English grammar, general linguistics, German, and Spanish, I really can't answer this question in justice. However, if you are really wanting to know the fine minutiae of your OP, then search the terms developmental + psycho + linguistics in some form. You should be able to find scholarly papers wherein you could at least read their abstracts.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Philip G.

Quote from: Melkor on March 28, 2021, 08:37:56 AM
It's called context. If you were take everything in the Bible literally you would be screwed. And suggesting God has racial prejudices is dangerously close to a little heresy called double  predestination. If God is going to judge me based on the sins of my nation past or present, I quit. What's even the point of trying? Cmon Calvin, read your Catechism.

Here is a link to a thread within the last year titled "racism as a sin".  My reply is #123

https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=24099.120

To deny that Christ judges nations/peoples/groups in part as a whole is to deny the significance of the general judgement, and it in turn in the process.  If the individual were the only thing that is to be taken into account, we would only require a private/particular judgement, which occurs at our death.   

Philip G.

Quote from: Heinrich on March 28, 2021, 11:20:32 AM
Philip G., how many languages do you speak, read, or understand(by listening)? Just curious. Although I do have a bit of a lifetime of studying English grammar, general linguistics, German, and Spanish, I really can't answer this question in justice. However, if you are really wanting to know the fine minutiae of your OP, then search the terms developmental + psycho + linguistics in some form. You should be able to find scholarly papers wherein you could at least read their abstracts.

Curiosity killed the cat.  One does not need to be bilingual in order to have a valid opinion of bilingualism.  And, one does not need to be monolingual in order to have a valid opinion of monolingualism.  By hitting rock bottom, I can know which way is up.

I can see the means of bilingualism as a blessing given a proper end.  Given an improper end, I can see the means of bilingualism as a curse.  This is intended to be more a philosophical conversation as opposed to technical. 

For example, for a missionary, I see it as a blessing, as saint paul indicates, to be able to speak diverse tongues.  But, to be a mother speaking divers tongues does not make the same sense.  Because, it does not take a village to raise a child.  It takes a family.  But, it does take a village, to summon a missionary.

"And, if that house be worthy, your peace shall come upon it, but if it be not worthy, your peace shall return to you.  And, whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, going forth out of that house or city shake off the dust from your feet."

Melkor

You mean to tell me on that fateful and terrifying day God will only be judging nations and groups? Nope, He'll be making each individuals' sins and virtues known to all, and the good will be separated from the bad. Oh but read the fine print everyone, if you are French or Chinese or African you are being judged differently from the Irish and the Americans.     

Philip G.

Quote from: Melkor on March 28, 2021, 12:33:10 PM
You mean to tell me on that fateful and terrifying day God will only be judging nations and groups? Nope, He'll be making each individuals' sins and virtues known to all, and the good will be separated from the bad. Oh but read the fine print everyone, if you are French or Chinese or African you are being judged differently from the Irish and the Americans.   

You are having quite the difficulty.  On all accounts, you misrepresent what I say, and do not process/grasp what I actually do say.  In this case, I say, and I repeat, "Christ judges nations/peoples in part as a whole."  There is nothing erroneous about that statement.

Melkor

Maybe when you write a response make it clarifying and to the point. You tend to ramble on with vague generalizations. God judges nations in part. Ok, after He judges Joe Biden, He will judge the USA and all its citizens. Got it.

dymphnaw

This seems silly to me. One of the men at my parish went to the Philippines and got a wife. His daughter speaks English to him but not to her mother. Millions of people are bilingual this way.

Heinrich

Quote from: Philip G. on March 28, 2021, 12:31:44 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on March 28, 2021, 11:20:32 AM

Curiosity killed the cat.  One does not need to be bilingual in order to have a valid opinion of bilingualism.  And, one does not need to be monolingual in order to have a valid opinion of monolingualism.  By hitting rock bottom, I can know which way is up.

I can see the means of bilingualism as a blessing given a proper end.  Given an improper end, I can see the means of bilingualism as a curse.  This is intended to be more a philosophical conversation as opposed to technical. 

For example, for a missionary, I see it as a blessing, as saint paul indicates, to be able to speak diverse tongues.  But, to be a mother speaking divers tongues does not make the same sense.  Because, it does not take a village to raise a child.  It takes a family.  But, it does take a village, to summon a missionary.

"And, if that house be worthy, your peace shall come upon it, but if it be not worthy, your peace shall return to you.  And, whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, going forth out of that house or city shake off the dust from your feet."

Regardless of your linguistic abilities, or lacks thereof(as in your case), you can't expect to be taken seriously if you have no scientific nor practical experience in this domain. One of my German professors waaaay back whenever I was in cowwage spoke German to her kids, who spoke back to her in said language. Dad wasn't fluent in German so that default was English. The oldest attended and graduated herself from Oberlin College, which is a highly selective, albeit nittwittardly liberal institution. Apparently she wasn't retarded in intellect.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Vetus Ordo

Philip might be onto something. Being fluent in multiple languages is tantamount to defying God's punishment at Babel. The fact that the different races of men speak different languages is an unmistakable curse from heaven. We're not supposed to understand each other.

Being multilingual, or a polyglot, does not seem proper or something we should encourage a believer to become.

Now the whole world had one language and a common form of speech. And as people journeyed eastward, they found a plain in the land of Shinar and settled there. And they said to one another, "Come, let us make bricks and bake them thoroughly." So they used brick instead of stone, and tar instead of mortar. "Come," they said, "let us build for ourselves a city with a tower that reaches to the heavens, that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of all the earth." Then the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the sons of men were building. And the LORD said, "If they have begun to do this as one people speaking the same language, then nothing they devise will be beyond them. Come, let Us go down and confuse their language, so that they will not understand one another's speech." So the LORD scattered them from there over the face of all the earth, and they stopped building the city. That is why it is called Babel, for there the LORD confused the language of the whole world, and from that place the LORD scattered them over the face of all the earth. (Gen. 11:1-8)
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Heinrich

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on March 28, 2021, 05:29:28 PM
Philip might be onto something. Being fluent in multiple languages is tantamount to defying God's punishment at Babel. The fact that the different races of men speak different languages is an unmistakable curse from heaven. We're not supposed to understand each other.

Being multilingual, or a polyglot, does not seem proper or something we should encourage a believer to become.

Now the whole world had one language and a common form of speech. And as people journeyed eastward, they found a plain in the land of Shinar and settled there. And they said to one another, "Come, let us make bricks and bake them thoroughly." So they used brick instead of stone, and tar instead of mortar. "Come," they said, "let us build for ourselves a city with a tower that reaches to the heavens, that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of all the earth." Then the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the sons of men were building. And the LORD said, "If they have begun to do this as one people speaking the same language, then nothing they devise will be beyond them. Come, let Us go down and confuse their language, so that they will not understand one another's speech." So the LORD scattered them from there over the face of all the earth, and they stopped building the city. That is why it is called Babel, for there the LORD confused the language of the whole world, and from that place the LORD scattered them over the face of all the earth. (Gen. 11:1-8)

You just indicted yourself, then? You have fluency in English, along with your mother language, and each of the other Romance languages?

Melkor

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on March 28, 2021, 05:29:28 PM

Are we seriously at the point where we are questioning whether being fluent in several languages is a bad thing? '...tantamount to defying God's punishment at Babel.... different races of men speak different languages is an unmistakable curse. We're not supposed to understand each other.' Really? What a joke. No wonder the Catholic Church has almost zero converts, there's the faggotry in the hierarchy and then there's people saying its not becoming to know two languages. We have become a bunch of weirdos in our stagnant little Trad parishes.