Chat room is now dead

Started by Kaesekopf, February 06, 2013, 07:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

A new member and I had conversation last night.  Let's do it again!
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

LausTibiChriste

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Jacob

I am logging in right now and will be around for an hour or two.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

LausTibiChriste

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Jacob

--Neal Stephenson

Jacob

--Neal Stephenson

Jacob

I am going to be around tonight for awhile starting at ~7PM Central Time.
--Neal Stephenson

Jacob

Anyone up to chatting tonight US time?  I will be around by 7PM Central Time and will hang out for awhile.  Plan on dropping by if you are up to it.
--Neal Stephenson

Jacob

In the chatroom.  If I'm idle, I'll checking back, so don't run off.
--Neal Stephenson

Jacob

Logged in for the next couple of hours.  Stop by and say hi.
--Neal Stephenson

clau clau

To all who use the chatroom,

Do you find the conversation more/less productive? Do you find that there is more room for dialectic forms of conversation.
I find that the usual forum tends to be dominated by rhetoric and sophism.

Is rhetoric just as prevalent in the chatroom?

Thoughts?

* dialectic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectic)
* rhetoric (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetoric)
* sophism (https://www.thoughtco.com/sophism-rhetoric-1692113)
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Jacob

When I have been logged in, rarely have I been logged in along with more than one or two other people.  Most of the time it's just me.  When I do have someone to chat with, it's more just general conversation and asking about circumstances in life, what kind of Mass we attend, etc.  I am interested in the Chatroom for its social component more than anything else.
--Neal Stephenson

Jacob

Logged in for awhile.  May be idle at times, so don't run off.
--Neal Stephenson

Jacob

I haven't been to the chat room in awhile.  I am going to make an effort to log in tomorrow and stay there throughout the afternoon and evening.  If anyone wants to chat about current events or the Church or why autumn is such a great season, stop on by.  If I am idle, I'll be checking back, so if you can hang out, do so.
--Neal Stephenson

Non Nobis

4 years ago tomorrow many of us chatted while watching Hilary Clinton's and the media's dismay grow as Trump's results came in proving he had won the Presidency.  At that time we could see the whole thing happen in one night.   It was really exhilarating.

What will it all be like this time?  Biden is not as hated as Hilary but how can even many Democrats be excited about voting for him?

Tomorrow (.... and following days) will be interesting but very scary... So many possible lost and late ballots, so many years of media and Democrat Trump-hatred.

And Trump and the USA is just one small part of the world's troubles today, although one central part. It's impossible to be bored....
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!