What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Prayerful

The Ottoman Endgame, Sean McMeekin. It's the Ottoman Empire and the Great War.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Prayerful on February 09, 2016, 06:54:16 AM

Sounds interesting. How is it?
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Christina_S

Just a few chapters left in The Almost Nearly Perfect People.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Prayerful

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on February 09, 2016, 08:49:32 AM
Quote from: Prayerful on February 09, 2016, 06:54:16 AM

Sounds interesting. How is it?

Very interesting. It shows how the Ottomans and then Turks seemed through luck or the unscrupulous skill of certain leaders, and the stupidity of opponents to come back from the dead again and again. Yet Enver Pasha's lunacy of trying to conquer Turkic central Asia (taking advantage of the fall of the Russian Empire which seemed close to defeating the Ottomans) while there were barely the troops to defend Syria or even Rumelia and Istanbul, finished the Empire. It also covers the Armenian Genocide well. There were Armenians rebelling in collusion with Russia, but initial prudential deportations escalated wildly into something murderous. I'm now into the chapters on how Mustapha Kemal, the Ataturk gave the Turks a measure of dignity (at a well known cost though).
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

misericonfit

Quote from: Archer on February 01, 2013, 12:35:41 AM
Self-explanatory.  I'm actually surprised we don't have this thread yet. 

I'm currently reading...

The Cure D'Ars: St. Jean-Marie-Baptiste Vianney, by Abbe Francois Trochu

Lord of Chaos: Book 6 of the Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan.
Wheel of Time vol. 1 - The Eye of the World, same author. Trochu's Life of St John Vianney is a good example of a thoroughly fascinating 600-page biography.

There are a good few books I would love to read, that may, perhaps, not yet exist - at least not in English: such as a detailed study of the Vulgate and its strengths and weaknesses.
Receive, O Lord, all my liberty. Take my memory, my understanding, and my entire will. Whatsoever I have or possess Thou hast bestowed upon me; to Thee I give it all back and surrender it wholly to be governed by Thy Will. Give me love for Thee alone, with Thy grace, and I am rich enough and ask for nothing more.

- St Ignatius Loyola.

red solo cup

Travels with my Aunt by Graham Greene. Not what I expected. Still a good read though.

red solo cup

The Guillotine and the Cross by William Carroll.

alicewyf

2/3 of the way through God Or Nothing by Cardinal Sarah. Lots to chew on so I'm going slow. Same with Elisabeth Leseur's diary. My husband and I are taking turns reading aloud to the kids from an anthology of short stories entitled Easter Stories at night. I think that's it for now. I have a stack about a foot high on my bedside table but those are the only ones that have been cracked as of yet.

zork

Lenten reading: The Spiritual Combat by Dom Lorenzo Scupoli (1990, TAN)
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Prayerful

Quote from: alicewyf on March 10, 2016, 11:17:45 AM
2/3 of the way through God Or Nothing by Cardinal Sarah. Lots to chew on so I'm going slow. Same with Elisabeth Leseur's diary. My husband and I are taking turns reading aloud to the kids from an anthology of short stories entitled Easter Stories at night. I think that's it for now. I have a stack about a foot high on my bedside table but those are the only ones that have been cracked as of yet.

The Indult Parish (usually I hear Mass there) book stall has ordered more copies of Cardinal Sarah's book. I hope a Kindle sample is about.

I'm reading now The Holy Roman Empire: A Thousand Years of Europe's History Peter H Wilson. He parses it thematically, from Reichstag, Electors, Chancellery, Religious Policy and so on.

Kaesekopf

Just finished "island of the world".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

Finished The Collected Letters of Saint Teresa of Avila, and finished linking the footnotes in The Collected Works of St. Teresa of Avila (someone scanned their copies and uploaded them to Archive.org  ;D ) to make them more kindle-friendly, so I guess that counts as reading. Still haven't found the story of the partridges (which I think is bunk, since St. Teresa specifically restricted the eating of meat in all of her foundations to medical necessity, so there's no way the whole community would have been feasting on them).
My Lord and my God.

piabee

Spooky

I just re-discovered Agatha Christie, so I'm on a AG binge. Currently on "Ordeal by Innocence"