What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

The Story of My Boyhood and Youth by John Muir.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

Quote from: red solo cup on November 08, 2015, 04:56:46 PM
The Story of My Boyhood and Youth by John Muir.

SO good! I listened to it from Librivox, and it was incredible! To think that his education was so thorough that even after such a huge gap, he was able to keep up in college! And he was so intelligent! I still have it on my ipod. :)
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Muir was so casual about the harshness of life in those days. When he was in school in Scotland it seemed that knowledge was acquired through beatings. And then in Wisconsin when he was digging the well for their farm. How his father would lower him down on a rope and then leave him there till the end of the day.

Bernadette

Quote from: red solo cup on November 09, 2015, 04:51:43 AM
Muir was so casual about the harshness of life in those days. When he was in school in Scotland it seemed that knowledge was acquired through beatings. And then in Wisconsin when he was digging the well for their farm. How his father would lower him down on a rope and then leave him there till the end of the day.

While the father himself was inside, reading theological books and taking no part whatever in the farm work. That was what got me when I read that part. I'd never heard of such a system!
My Lord and my God.

LausTibiChriste

Millionaire Fastlane by MJ DeMarco
Influence by Robert Cialdini
Started Catch-22 today as well
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

red solo cup

Put my back out last week and spent three days on the couch. In that time I managed to read:
Sphere by Michael Crichton. Not great. Not awful. Just OK.
Deviant by Harold Schechter. The biography of Wisconsin's favorite son, Ed Gein. Learned a lot I didn't know.
Faithful Departed: The Collapse of Boston's Catholic Culture by Philip Lawler. This was an excellent read and I highly recommend it for traddies and NOers alike.

Lynne

Quote from: red solo cup on November 23, 2015, 05:09:00 AM

Faithful Departed: The Collapse of Boston's Catholic Culture by Philip Lawler. This was an excellent read and I highly recommend it for traddies and NOers alike.

I'm sorry about your back! One never understands how much their back is used till something bad happens to it.

I read that book when it came out. I thought it was very good then and would re-read it but I think I threw it out.  :( I should see if the library has it.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Jacob

Quote from: red solo cup on November 23, 2015, 05:09:00 AM
Sphere by Michael Crichton. Not great. Not awful. Just OK.

Mmmm, in high school I was a super big reader.  I blew through all of Crichton's paperbacks.  Sphere is a pretty good read.  I liked others better, but Sphere is classic Crichton.

Right now I am reading Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

zork

Red Harvest (1929) by Dashiell Hammett.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

zork

Quote from: MilesChristi on November 23, 2015, 01:35:51 PM
Quote from: zork on November 23, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Red Harvest (1929) by Dashiell Hammett.
Hammett or Chandler?

Well, so far I've only read Hammett's stories; RH is the first Hammett novel I've read anything of. I have not yet read any of Chandler's works though I own all of his novels and short stories (thanks to Border's closing sale in 2011). I have such a backlog of reading that I will eventually get to Chandler's works; I really anticipate reading up on the adventures of Phillip Marlow and the generic detectives that preceded him.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Christina_S

Just finished To Kill a Mockingbird last night. Starting on The Decline and Fall of the Roman Church by Malachi Martin. Then on to The Grapes of Wrath;D
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Bernadette

Was it your first time reading To Kill a Mockingbird? What did you think?
My Lord and my God.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Bernadette on November 24, 2015, 09:30:14 AM
Was it your first time reading To Kill a Mockingbird? What did you think?

Read the whole damn thing; didn't even tell me how to kill a mockingbird
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

MilesChristi

Quote from: Christina_S on November 24, 2015, 07:42:43 AM
Just finished To Kill a Mockingbird last night. Starting on The Decline and Fall of the Roman Church by Malachi Martin. Then on to The Grapes of Wrath;D
Read East of Eden...it is the best
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.