What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

It's been so long since I've read Tom Clancy at length.  The climax of The Sum of All Fears is really the only book I've ever read where I was indeed 'page turning' to find out how it would all end.

But I look back and I realize that I am all Tom Clancyed out.  I just don't think I could get back into that groove, especially now that I am older and more aware of his flaws as a writer.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Archer on April 09, 2015, 04:14:40 PM
Quote from: maryslittlegarden on April 09, 2015, 12:38:39 PM
Patriot Games and The Hunt for Red October.

Simultaneously?
Yup.  I usually have more than one book going at a time.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Archer

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on April 10, 2015, 09:32:22 AM

Simultaneously?

So do I, but doesn't Patriot Games occur chronologically before Red October?
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Bernadette

Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery in the United States. In the 30s the Work Projects Administration sent out interviewers to every state that had participated in slavery, and interviewed former slaves. They collected something like 2300 interviews and published 17 volumes (many in several parts), one for each state. I've just started reading Volume I, Alabama, and I was absolutely shocked by the number of people who expressed longing to go back to those days because they had plenty to eat and wear, and "didn't have to worry about anything."  :o :o :huh: I have never heard anything like this in school or from the History Channel, and here it is, coming from the people themselves!  :confused: 
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Archer on April 10, 2015, 10:19:00 AM

Simultaneously?

Yes, but I've read Red October before... and I know what's coming :). (And possibly I have a weirdly wired brain, but only possibly.)
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

LausTibiChriste

European Air Law and Flight Planning procedures.

If you only knew how riveting it is folks
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

GeorgeT

I have recently read Fatima Priest and a smallish book on the life of The Cure of Ars by TAN. Both really great.
Check out my Lives of the saints comics!

http://tautkusstudio.com/pb/wp_8bec74cf/wp_8bec74cf.html

Baldrick

For my devotional reading (at night before bed), I'm currently reading Montfort's Secret of the Rosary

Archer

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on April 10, 2015, 01:52:27 PM
Quote from: Archer on April 10, 2015, 10:19:00 AM

Simultaneously?

Yes, but I've read Red October before... and I know what's coming :). (And possibly I have a weirdly wired brain, but only possibly.)

Naw, whatever works for you. I just couldn't do it. I can read multiple books at once but not ones with the same characters. That'd get too confusing lol.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Prayerful

Brent D. Shaw, Sacred Violence. It largely concerns the Donatist-Catholic conflict. This was a conflict not of doctrine, but of how clergy who surrendered vessels and scriptures to Roman officials were to be treated. Some were very unforgiving to the traditores or lapsi, and came to be identified as Donatists after Donatus Magnus, who became for one faction the Bishop of Carthage and Patriarch of African Catholics. They held that clergy or people who lapsed, had to be rebaptised. They were often called 'Rebapisters.' Augustine, Bishop of Hippo was the most famous of the majority faction, the one Rome (both Pope and Emperor) adjudged orthodox. One fascinating detail is that when Augustine asked local peasants who they were, they replied in they were Canaanites. They spoke almost only Punic. Even gentlemen with Roman tria nomina might have difficulty speaking Latin and were more comfortable speaking Punic.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

dymphna17

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on April 10, 2015, 03:35:27 PM

Careful you don't end up bald from pulling your hair out.  A little of that goes a loooong way.   :lol:

Are you studying to become a pilot?
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: dymphna17 on April 10, 2015, 10:15:00 PM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on April 10, 2015, 03:35:27 PM

Careful you don't end up bald from pulling your hair out.  A little of that goes a loooong way.   :lol:

Are you studying to become a pilot?

Well I shave my head, so I think my next option would be stabbing myself with a pen...and yes, I am
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Heinrich

Quote from: Bernadette on April 10, 2015, 11:01:39 AM
Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery in the United States. In the 30s the Work Projects Administration sent out interviewers to every state that had participated in slavery, and interviewed former slaves. They collected something like 2300 interviews and published 17 volumes (many in several parts), one for each state. I've just started reading Volume I, Alabama, and I was absolutely shocked by the number of people who expressed longing to go back to those days because they had plenty to eat and wear, and "didn't have to worry about anything."  :o :o :huh: I have never heard anything like this in school or from the History Channel, and here it is, coming from the people themselves!  :confused:

You might find this interesting, too:

http://www.creators.com/opinion/walter-williams/virginia-s-black-confederates.html
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Bernadette on April 10, 2015, 11:01:39 AM
Bernadette.
the fact that blacks living in the South might have wanted to go back to slavery, was that after the Civil War, all the former Confederate states passed a series of laws known as "Black Codes"; which essentially reduced the freed blacks back into a position of slavery, but without the former slave owners interest in protecting his property.  Blacks were in many ways worse off after the Civil War and the abolishing of Reconstruction than before the War.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Cesar_Augustus

Quote from: Baldrick on April 10, 2015, 03:46:04 PM
For my devotional reading (at night before bed), I'm currently reading Montfort's Secret of the Rosary.

Great book!