What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Working through The Wine-Dark Sea by O'Brian.

Really interesting look at Peru in the early 19th century.  Stephen is ashore visiting a Benedictine monastery.  O'Brian's use of the setting and his details here and there paint a very cool portrait of the life of the Church at that time.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

GeorgeT

Just finished UnderAngelWings by Sr Maria Antonia. It's about a nun who saw her guardian angel since she was a young girl. It was very anecdotal, which always sits well with me.
Check out my Lives of the saints comics!

http://tautkusstudio.com/pb/wp_8bec74cf/wp_8bec74cf.html

Rose

Quote from: GeorgeT on October 24, 2014, 08:29:40 AM
Just finished UnderAngelWings by Sr Maria Antonia. It's about a nun who saw her guardian angel since she was a young girl. It was very anecdotal, which always sits well with me.

That was a wonderful book :) IIRC, there was an incident when a rogue had tried to drag her off at a party (or was it to a circus?) and the guardian angel thumped him!
To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

GeorgeT

Quote from: Rose on October 24, 2014, 10:43:59 AM

That was a wonderful book :) IIRC, there was an incident when a rogue had tried to drag her off at a party (or was it to a circus?) and the guardian angel thumped him!
Yeah. Some situations were funny. She would go to a movie with her father and her angel would censor almost the entire movie by standing in front of her. Later, when her father tried to discuss the film with her, she would not know what he was talking about. He thought she had some intellectual deficit because of this.
Check out my Lives of the saints comics!

http://tautkusstudio.com/pb/wp_8bec74cf/wp_8bec74cf.html

Rose

Quote from: GeorgeT on October 26, 2014, 12:43:57 PM
Quote from: Rose on October 24, 2014, 10:43:59 AM

Yeah. Some situations were funny. She would go to a movie with her father and her angel would censor almost the entire movie by standing in front of her. Later, when her father tried to discuss the film with her, she would not know what he was talking about. He thought she had some intellectual deficit because of this.

How great would it be if all our Guardian Angels censored media for us?  :)
To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Jacob

Finished Wine Dark Sea.  Stephen and Jack are homeward bound. :)

Now just need to get The Commodore from the library.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

red solo cup

Waiting for the Apocalypse: A Memoir of Faith and Family by Veronica Chater.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Archer

Quote from: red solo cup on October 27, 2014, 09:29:14 AM

I've heard mixed reviews about that one.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Archer on October 27, 2014, 10:10:22 AM

After having seen the weeks long argument on FE however long ago, I want to read it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

piabee

Strunk and White's The Elements of Style. As an English major (plus a few post-grad writing courses), I'm ashamed to admit I have never read it before.

red solo cup

A Spy Among Friends by Ben Macintyre. This tells the story of the notorious British traitor Kim Philby and his close friend Nicholas Elliot, a high ranking
intelligence officer in MI6. Included in the cast of interesting characters are Flora Solomon the daughter of a Russian gold baron whom Philby tried to
recruit for the KGB. She was reputed to have had an affair with Aleksander Kerensky, the Russian prime mimister deposed by Lenin. Her son Peter Beneson went on to found Amnesty International. Jona von Ustinov a German journalist who supplied info to the British. His mother was half Ethiopian half Jewish
and whose son was the famous actor Peter Ustinov. Miles Copeland a CIA agent and former jazz musician whose son Stewart was the drummer for the band Police. Even Kim's father, St John Philby was a real character. On the last day of his life he got drunk at lunch, made a pass a another man's wife
and dropped dead. His last words were "God I'm bored".
There's even a six page postscript by John LeCarre who interviewed Elliot later in life. Elliot said that when the writer Graham Greene, one of Phiby's
deputies, published Our Man in Havana , MI5 considered prosecuting him under the Official Secrets Act for revealing inside information.
All in all a fascinating read.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Archer

Quote from: Kaesekopf on October 27, 2014, 11:06:52 AM
Quote from: Archer on October 27, 2014, 10:10:22 AM

After having seen the weeks long argument on FE however long ago, I want to read it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Right?
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Chestertonian

Quote from: piabee on November 05, 2014, 02:24:22 PM
Strunk and White's The Elements of Style. As an English major (plus a few post-grad writing courses), I'm ashamed to admit I have never read it before.

!
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

piabee

Prayerful

Through the Eye of the Needle, Peter Brown; Sacred Violence, Shaw; Capital in the 21st Century, Thomas Piketty, Abp Marcel Lebefvre, Open Letter to Confused Catholics...etc.

Kindle has spoiled me. I cannot concentrate on one book.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.