Wedding Mass- OF or EF?

Started by Christina_S, April 21, 2018, 08:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christina_S

Okay, thanks for all the replies. The other thing we're concerned about is the vows. Are they in the vernacular? Which parts of an EF Nuptial Mass are permitted to be in the vernacular?

Also: Rite of Betrothal. When, along a typical wedding prep timeline, is this done?
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Gardener

Quote from: Christina_S on April 25, 2018, 08:44:42 AM
Okay, thanks for all the replies. The other thing we're concerned about is the vows. Are they in the vernacular? Which parts of an EF Nuptial Mass are permitted to be in the vernacular?

Also: Rite of Betrothal. When, along a typical wedding prep timeline, is this done?

Vows - yes, in vernacular.

Rite of betrothal... we did it. It was very nice.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

St. Columba

People don't have ideas...ideas have people.  - Jordan Peterson quoting Carl Jung

LausTibiChriste

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Kaesekopf

Probably after engagement when plans start to be solidified.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Gardener

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 26, 2018, 01:09:38 PM

Probably after engagement when plans start to be solidified.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Yeah, we did it after I'd proposed.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

MilesChristi

>not getting betrothed at birth

And you call yourself a trad
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Sophia3

Another thing to note...I have been to Traditional Latin Masses where they skip the nuptial blessing for some reason, which surprised me. Keeping this in mind, I would ask the priest to include it for you.

Xavier

Definitely the EF, not the OF. You want to give God the greatest possible glory on your wedding day, and you can't do that without the TLM. Congratulations on your wedding!
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

lauermar

There was no indult mass available when I got married in 1984. If there was, I would only have the EF and no other. The special grace obtained from this mass will greatly help the married couple endure future hardships and disappointments. To merely have a service not a mass is insufficient.

Your wedding is for your spiritual benefit and is pleasing to God. It is not for entertainment of your guests. Forget what they want. Let them leave if they don't like it.
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)