Traditional Catholism for Dummies?

Started by Vanna Grace, September 08, 2014, 07:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanna Grace

I would like to find some book on traditional Catholism...but...it has become quite clear to me that everyone on this board is very intelligent (intimidatingly so). Are there any books that won't make brain explode while reading them? Trad lite, if you will. I would not be opposed to children's Trad books. ;)

tmw89

Have you read Archbishop Lefebvre's Letter to Confused Catholics?  That's always a great starting-point.
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Jayne

Quote from: tmw89 on September 08, 2014, 07:02:07 PM
Have you read Archbishop Lefebvre's Letter to Confused Catholics?  That's always a great starting-point.

This was the book that immediately sprang to my mind also.  Since tmw and I are pretty much on opposing ends of the trad spectrum, anything on which we agree acquires a certain significance.  :)

It is available online: http://www.sspxasia.com/Documents/Archbishop-Lefebvre/OpenLetterToConfusedCatholics/
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Kaesekopf

If you have a Kindle (or another ereader and the Calibre software), I have created an eBook from the SSPXAsia OLtCC.

It is attached to this post.

(Note, I created this before Angelus Press offered Open Letter to Confused Catholics in eBook format... it's only $6, and I highly recommend it.  AP offers great eBooks for SO cheap!)
http://www.amazon.com/Open-Letter-Confused-Catholics-ebook/dp/B007BV8V2U/ref=sr_1_9?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1336427806&sr=1-9
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Vanna Grace

Thank you! I will check those out.

Kaesekopf, unfortunately I do not have an ereader.

Sbyvl36

Quote from: Vanna Grace on September 08, 2014, 07:00:41 PM
I would like to find some book on traditional Catholism...but...it has become quite clear to me that everyone on this board is very intelligent (intimidatingly so). Are there any books that won't make brain explode while reading them? Trad lite, if you will. I would not be opposed to children's Trad books. ;)

You should start at my blog: sbyvl.wordpress.com

and follow me on Twitter. @Sbyvl.

You'll learn a lot and laugh a lot.
My blog: sbyvl.wordpress.com

"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
--St. Thomas Aquinas

"Neither the true faith nor eternal salvation is to be found outside the Holy Catholic Church."
--Pope Pius IX

"That the Conciliar Church is a schismatic Church, because it breaks with the Catholic Church that has always been. It has its new dogmas, its new priesthood, its new institutions, its new worship, all already condemned by the Church in many a document, official and definitive."
--Archbishop Lefebvre

Heliocentricism is idiocy.

Vanna Grace

I'm not on twitter (CAF and now SD is as "social media" as I get lol) but will definitely read your blog. :)

Recovering NOer

Sbyvl36

"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
--St. Thomas Aquinas

"Neither the true faith nor eternal salvation is to be found outside the Holy Catholic Church."
--Pope Pius IX

"That the Conciliar Church is a schismatic Church, because it breaks with the Catholic Church that has always been. It has its new dogmas, its new priesthood, its new institutions, its new worship, all already condemned by the Church in many a document, official and definitive."
--Archbishop Lefebvre

tmw89

Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Jayne

Quote from: Vanna Grace on September 08, 2014, 07:28:01 PM
I'm not on twitter (CAF and now SD is as "social media" as I get lol) but will definitely read your blog. :)

Keep in mind that his blog is from a sedevacantist perspective and that many trads, like myself, disagree with much of what he writes. Open Letter to Confused Catholics really makes a much better introduction to traditional Catholicism.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Sbyvl36

Quote from: Jayne on September 08, 2014, 07:33:49 PM
Quote from: Vanna Grace on September 08, 2014, 07:28:01 PM

Keep in mind that his blog is from a sedevacantist perspective and that many trads, like myself, disagree with much of what he writes. Open Letter to Confused Catholics really makes a much better introduction to traditional Catholicism.

Why do you insist upon "warning" people that I am a sede?  Vanna knows very well that I am SV, as that is what I was talking about on CAF. 

--St. Thomas Aquinas

--Pope Pius IX

--Archbishop Lefebvre

Armor of Light

Yes. Great intro to trad-dom! I wish I could have met that guy...

I share your beginning somewhat...about the intimidation factor that is. Smart people and well read for sure. There is room for dummies too!

After all, how can you rear (not raise) all the children that come from a traditional marriage and have time to read all those books?  :P
If thou wilt receive profit, read with humility, simplicity, and faith, and seek not at any time the fame of being learned.

Thomas à Kempis

Vanna Grace

Quote from: Armor of Light on September 08, 2014, 07:35:17 PM

Yes. Great intro to trad-dom! I wish I could have met that guy...

I share your beginning somewhat...about the intimidation factor that is. Smart people and well read for sure. There is room for dummies too!

After all, how can you rear (not raise) all the children that come from a traditional marriage and have time to read all those books?  :P

:) Well, I was just blessed with 2 to rear...one who is off to college but the youngest is surprisingly time-consuming. lol

I've already started on the Letter to Confused Catholics. ;) I enjoy the tone so far.