The Church Courtyard > General Catholic Discussion

Should we be buddies with anti catholic proselytizers?

(1/5) > >>

bedtimeprayers:
I watch a lot of catholic channels on YouTube, and a lot of them helped me convert out of Protestantism. I have always been kind of a “hard core” person and I’m wondering if it’s just me here…
Often the catholic apologists will invite Protestant YouTubers to their channel, many times ones that 90% of their videos are anti catholic falsehoods in order to convert Catholics to Protestantism and keep Protestants out of Catholicism. Often the catholic apologist will say “be nice guys! He’s my friend!”
Obviously we shouldn’t be hurling insults. But is it really not “nice” to point out that sola scriptura is anachronistic, that Martin Luther was a heretic, that Protestantism is man made etc?
It also bothers me when catholic apologists invite Protestant to speak on their channel. If it’s a debate in order to expose Protestant lies, that’s fine. But sometimes they’ll “unite” with them on issues like anti feminism (for ex) and invite them to talk as equals. I can’t help but think all the saints and church fathers would utterly cringe at giving a heretic—whose channel is dedicated to speaking against the catholic faith— a platform. Catholics are supposed to believe error has no rights, and that modern American freedom of speech is wrong. The state should regulate proselytizing against Catholics and make it lowkey or illegal. In the face of all this, is it really wrong to call Protestants anachronistic,followers of a demon possess Martin Luther, etc? Is this uncharitable?
I haven’t actually done this, but it annoys me when they “discipline” others on their YT channel for doing it.
I’m really confused because on the one hand, we have historical Catholicism banning heretical speech, church fathers urging us to slap blaspheming heretics. But on the other hand, we are supposed to be buddy buddy with these same heretics?
Also should we be addressing Protestant “ministers” like anglicans as “father” so and so?
Why is it rude if we refuse to call an Anglican father?
Am I the one that’s wrong here? If I am, I will try to work on it and be more accepting. I just wonder what you guys think

Acolyte:
What do I think ? I think paragraphs would be nice  :D

Seriously though, I don't have the patience to discuss Catholicism with Protestants. Most of the ones that I've tried to discuss it with have anti- Catholicism deeply ingrained.

bedtimeprayers:

--- Quote from: Acolyte on August 07, 2022, 09:36:04 PM ---What do I think ? I think paragraphs would be nice  :D

Seriously though, I don't have the patience to discuss Catholicism with Protestants. Most of the ones that I've tried to discuss it with have anti- Catholicism deeply ingrained.

--- End quote ---
Lol
My parents are Protestant so I have to deal with their anti catholic slander often. It’s the only reason why I “keep up” with Protestant catholic dialogue. I just really have a distaste for Protestant beliefs tbh, their pastors are almost always spreading false lies. My parents actually believe that Constantine started the Catholic Church etc. so that is why I can’t stand Catholics giving these people a platform. They’re deluded

andy:
As Fr. Gregory Hesse said, we do not discuss the Faith with protestants, we teach them.

mikemac:

--- Quote from: bedtimeprayers on August 07, 2022, 08:55:37 PM ---I watch a lot of catholic channels on YouTube, and a lot of them helped me convert out of Protestantism. I have always been kind of a “hard core” person and I’m wondering if it’s just me here…
Often the catholic apologists will invite Protestant YouTubers to their channel, many times ones that 90% of their videos are anti catholic falsehoods in order to convert Catholics to Protestantism and keep Protestants out of Catholicism. Often the catholic apologist will say “be nice guys! He’s my friend!”
Obviously we shouldn’t be hurling insults. But is it really not “nice” to point out that sola scriptura is anachronistic, that Martin Luther was a heretic, that Protestantism is man made etc?
It also bothers me when catholic apologists invite Protestant to speak on their channel. If it’s a debate in order to expose Protestant lies, that’s fine. But sometimes they’ll “unite” with them on issues like anti feminism (for ex) and invite them to talk as equals. I can’t help but think all the saints and church fathers would utterly cringe at giving a heretic—whose channel is dedicated to speaking against the catholic faith— a platform. Catholics are supposed to believe error has no rights, and that modern American freedom of speech is wrong. The state should regulate proselytizing against Catholics and make it lowkey or illegal. In the face of all this, is it really wrong to call Protestants anachronistic,followers of a demon possess Martin Luther, etc? Is this uncharitable?
I haven’t actually done this, but it annoys me when they “discipline” others on their YT channel for doing it.
I’m really confused because on the one hand, we have historical Catholicism banning heretical speech, church fathers urging us to slap blaspheming heretics. But on the other hand, we are supposed to be buddy buddy with these same heretics?
Also should we be addressing Protestant “ministers” like anglicans as “father” so and so?
Why is it rude if we refuse to call an Anglican father?
Am I the one that’s wrong here? If I am, I will try to work on it and be more accepting. I just wonder what you guys think

--- End quote ---

I don't think you are wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version