Sign of the Cross

Started by Tradteen, November 16, 2021, 11:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tradteen

When we catholics make the sign of the cross, apparently it forms an upside down cross since we touch the chest . Why is that?

diaduit

The wiser of the forum will answer you shortly but never ever go to anti catholic vitriolic hateful sources for information on Catholic faith.
  I do not do an upside cross, I do a cross to honour God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost and when I touch my chest, I do it over my heart to remind myself of how much I want to and try to love Him more.

Aulef

Weird. When I see people doing the Sign of the Cross it is either a Greek Cross or a Latin Cross, based on distances.

The one thing I don't get is why so many people use two fingers instead of the five when touching the correct places.
Tota pulchra es, Maria
Et macula originalis non est in Te

clau clau

A house divided against itself cannot stand.

https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/readings/A-House-Divided-Cannot-Stand

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

andy

I think that 2 should be positioned at lower part of chest. Then it is not an issue. At least this is how pious traditional monks do that.

Melkor

Quote from: diaduit on November 17, 2021, 03:07:29 AM
The wiser of the forum will answer you shortly but never ever go to anti catholic vitriolic hateful sources for information on Catholic faith.
  I do not do an upside cross, I do a cross to honour God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost and when I touch my chest, I do it over my heart to remind myself of how much I want to and try to love Him more.

Wise indeed. Best take on this ridiculous question.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

AlNg

Quote from: Aulef on November 17, 2021, 05:36:23 AM
The one thing I don't get is why so many people use two fingers instead of the five when touching the correct places.
For the two natures in Christ? Divine and human?
The Greek method is for the thumb and first two fingers together and the last two fingers on the palm. The thumb and first two fingers form three fingers for the Trinity and the last two fingers on the palm for the two natures in Christ?

Aulef

Quote from: AlNg on November 17, 2021, 09:01:59 AM
Quote from: Aulef on November 17, 2021, 05:36:23 AM
For the two natures in Christ? Divine and human?
The Greek method is for the thumb and first two fingers together and the last two fingers on the palm. The thumb and first two fingers form three fingers for the Trinity and the last two fingers on the palm for the two natures in Christ?

Regarding the two fingers, I really don't know. What you said could be an explanation.

In regards to the Orientals derived from Byzantine rites, yes, they use these three fingers to represent the Trinity.

I was taught to do it with open hand, five fingers joined. They represent the Five Holy Wounds of Christ on the Cross.
Tota pulchra es, Maria
Et macula originalis non est in Te

mikemac

Quote from: Melkor on November 17, 2021, 08:33:24 AM

Yeah makes more sense to touch your chest over your heart.  Touching your belly button wouldn't make sense.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: mikemac on November 17, 2021, 01:32:25 PM
Quote from: Melkor on November 17, 2021, 08:33:24 AM

Yeah makes more sense to touch your chest over your heart.  Touching your belly button wouldn't make sense.

This proves that humans' heads are mounted upside down!  The mouth was supposed to be on top, and the forehead on the bottom!  It's a papist conspiracy!
this page left intentionally blank