First confession questions

Started by sleepybluebird, November 08, 2021, 10:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleepybluebird

Hello!

I started catechism class a couple of months ago and our instructor has been talking about our first confession.  I asked if there was any sort of penance I could do until I am eligible for my first confession and she suggested fasting.  Is there any information available for something like this, or are there any converts out there who could share what helped you while you were waiting to get all of these sins out?

Did a search here for "first confession," read through some of the results, and about an hour ago I was 99% eager/1% nervous to do this, but now feeling about 75% eager/25% nervous.

Also, our instructor mentioned that we can schedule our first confession with any priest.  Hoping to find a super strict priest for this and willing to travel just about anywhere in the Midwest.

Markus

Quote from: sleepybluebird on November 08, 2021, 10:31:04 PM
Hello!

I started catechism class a couple of months ago and our instructor has been talking about our first confession.  I asked if there was any sort of penance I could do until I am eligible for my first confession and she suggested fasting.  Is there any information available for something like this, or are there any converts out there who could share what helped you while you were waiting to get all of these sins out?

Did a search here for "first confession," read through some of the results, and about an hour ago I was 99% eager/1% nervous to do this, but now feeling about 75% eager/25% nervous.

Also, our instructor mentioned that we can schedule our first confession with any priest.  Hoping to find a super strict priest for this and willing to travel just about anywhere in the Midwest.

Are you very far from St. Louis?

diaduit

Relax a bit, with a good priest you will do fine. 
Sounds like an attack is waged on you to try to destroy your confidence in God's mercy.  The devil more than anything does not want you to make this confession and tbh never ever rely on forum chit chat for solid advise.

Stubborn

Quote from: sleepybluebird on November 08, 2021, 10:31:04 PM

Hello!

You did not say but hopefully you're attending traditional catechism class, not novus ordo.

You do not actually want a super strict confessor, you want a true Catholic priest who can give good Catholic council in confession - when it may be needed. For this, do not go to just any priest, instead you need to find a traditional Catholic priest, this is a good place to start looking.

What you should do while you're waiting is what the Church used to do for the catechetical instructions for catechumens, namely, to read and meditate as best as you can all of the Epistles and Gospels (daily and Sunday) from Ash Wednesday till Easter, you'll need a Daily Missal, like St. Joseph's or one of the other pre-V2 daily missals like one of these. Just be sure the version you use is from 1962 or earlier.   

Even after a long life of sin, if the Christian receives the Sacrament of the dying with the appropriate dispositions, he will go straight to heaven without having to go to purgatory. - Fr. M. Philipon; This sacrament prepares man for glory immediately, since it is given to those who are departing from this life. - St. Thomas Aquinas; It washes away the sins that remain to be atoned, and the vestiges of sin; it comforts and strengthens the soul of the sick person, arousing in him a great trust and confidence in the divine mercy. Thus strengthened, he bears the hardships and struggles of his illness more easily and resists the temptation of the devil and the heel of the deceiver more readily; and if it be advantageous to the welfare of his soul, he sometimes regains his bodily health. - Council of Trent

sleepybluebird

Quote from: Markus on November 09, 2021, 01:17:17 AM
Are you very far from St. Louis?

Not too far; I think it's about 5 hours from here (Chicago area).

sleepybluebird

Quote from: diaduit on November 09, 2021, 04:34:59 AM
Relax a bit, with a good priest you will do fine. 
Sounds like an attack is waged on you to try to destroy your confidence in God's mercy.  The devil more than anything does not want you to make this confession and tbh never ever rely on forum chit chat for solid advise.

Thank you for saying this, because I've been getting more excited about it each week and now some of that is becoming nervousness or uncertainty.  It's scary to think about doing this as it gets closer.
I'm pretty timid, but have reached out to some of the people at church to ask questions about different things.  My instructor has been really helpful, and the friends I've made since beginning to attend have also been very helpful to offer advice and prayers.  It seems like the last two months have been filled with more prayer than the rest of my life combined.

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Stubborn on November 09, 2021, 05:21:47 AM
You did not say but hopefully you're attending traditional catechism class, not novus ordo.
This x100. RCIA is crap and not just because it funnels your into the NO (that is undeniably the worst part) but because it doesn't teach anything of substance. I have looked at an RCIA workbook and it was full of vague loving God pablum and JPII's "Catechism of the Catholic Church" references.
Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

sleepybluebird

You do not actually want a super strict confessor, you want a true Catholic priest who can give good Catholic council in confession - when it may be needed. For this, do not go to just any priest, instead you need to find a traditional Catholic priest, this is a good place to start looking.

What you should do while you're waiting is what the Church used to do for the catechetical instructions for catechumens, namely, to read and meditate as best as you can all of the Epistles and Gospels (daily and Sunday) from Ash Wednesday till Easter, you'll need a Daily Missal, like St. Joseph's or one of the other pre-V2 daily missals like one of these. Just be sure the version you use is from 1962 or earlier.   

There are only a couple of us in the adult catechism class and it is traditional; I've never asked but have always assumed it.  I look forward to it every week and our instructor is extremely generous with her time in staying after class ends and answering questions.  It is through the FSSP church here, which was the closest to my house.

I see that there is an SSPX church about an hour away, and actually I was thinking of visiting there because one of their other church's youtube livestreams were kind of the final impetus to get me to start going to Mass.  I watched or listened to them almost every day from when I found them until they stopped livestreaming.  And once they ended livestreaming, I lasted about a week or so, trying to find something similar online (to no success), before showing up at Mass at our church.  So a visit would be nice, and then I can talk to my instructor and see what she thinks.

Thank you for the link to buy the Daily Missal; I have noticed a lot of people have their own.  So far I've used the red book that one of the ladies shared with me when I first started going, and now I use the one in the pew; I forget the name of it but it's helpful and has a lot of pictures and instructions to follow.  I don't think it's from before 1962 though.  Also thank you for the advice about studying the readings; I will definitely do that!

james03

Remember, Confession is your big reset button.  It is meant for your benefit.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

sleepybluebird

Quote from: GiftOfGod on November 09, 2021, 07:09:15 PM
This x100. RCIA is crap and not just because it funnels your into the NO (that is undeniably the worst part) but because it doesn't teach anything of substance. I have looked at an RCIA workbook and it was full of vague loving God pablum and JPII's "Catechism of the Catholic Church" references.

I don't think our class is called RCIA, at least I don't remember our instructor saying that name, but we do not have any workbooks.  So far we have studied (not in this particular order): relics, saints, sin, gifts of the Holy Spirit, five ways to prove the existence of God, basic points of Catholic doctrine, some history of religious life, examination of conscience, and learned about, and have been given, different kinds of sacramentals, and some other things too.  Sometimes it kind of feels like when you take Western Civ; how you pack centuries into each semester, and you realize how ignorant you are of everything that has ever happened.  There is so much out there to read and study and every week I am kicking myself for not converting ages ago. 

And left over from college, I have a Catechism, a Faith Alive, a little Dei Verbum pamphlet, and a couple of Bibles, think one is New American version(?) and the other is Oxford something version.

james03

QuoteI don't think our class is called RCIA
You mentioned you were being instructed at an FSSP Church.  You are definitely not taking RCIA.  Don't worry about it.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: sleepybluebird on November 09, 2021, 08:45:21 PM
Quote from: GiftOfGod on November 09, 2021, 07:09:15 PM

I don't think our class is called RCIA, at least I don't remember our instructor saying that name, but we do not have any workbooks.  So far we have studied (not in this particular order): relics, saints, sin, gifts of the Holy Spirit, five ways to prove the existence of God, basic points of Catholic doctrine, some history of religious life, examination of conscience, and learned about, and have been given, different kinds of sacramentals, and some other things too.  Sometimes it kind of feels like when you take Western Civ; how you pack centuries into each semester, and you realize how ignorant you are of everything that has ever happened.  There is so much out there to read and study and every week I am kicking myself for not converting ages ago. 

And left over from college, I have a Catechism, a Faith Alive, a little Dei Verbum pamphlet, and a couple of Bibles, think one is New American version(?) and the other is Oxford something version.

Sounds like excellent catechesis for a catechumen.  Just go humbly to confession and tell the priest the things that weigh on your heart that you feel offend God.  He will guide you and help you, knowing it is your first one.

Regarding fasting...in a homily once, a priest gave a good, practical way to fast:  no food until supper time, then a decent meal. You are free to drink water as you need, of course.  I will take coffee or tea throughout the day, as well, if I want to.   If you feel faint or too hungry to carry out your duties, eat a little something (a few pretzels, some bread, a handfull of nuts, a piece of cheese, etc. just enough to tide you over, but no meat.  You can have that at dinner). 

Welcome to The Faith! It sure is beautiful here =)

Stubborn

I attached The Catechism of the Council of Trent which in my opinion, is the best there is, but the Baltimore Catechism is probably the most popular catechism among trads.

Also, revisiting what you said about wanting a super strict confessor, the one who should really be super strict, which is to say the one who should have and teach only orthodoxy of faith, is your instructor.

St. Paul said faith comes to us through hearing, this guy has a lot of good sermons and talks posted to youtube  and Odysee which no doubt you will find that listening to these is time well spent. 

Here is one I like titled, You must have great faith.
Even after a long life of sin, if the Christian receives the Sacrament of the dying with the appropriate dispositions, he will go straight to heaven without having to go to purgatory. - Fr. M. Philipon; This sacrament prepares man for glory immediately, since it is given to those who are departing from this life. - St. Thomas Aquinas; It washes away the sins that remain to be atoned, and the vestiges of sin; it comforts and strengthens the soul of the sick person, arousing in him a great trust and confidence in the divine mercy. Thus strengthened, he bears the hardships and struggles of his illness more easily and resists the temptation of the devil and the heel of the deceiver more readily; and if it be advantageous to the welfare of his soul, he sometimes regains his bodily health. - Council of Trent

diaduit

When is it Sleepybluebird....we can all say a prayer for you on the day?

james03

If you want a good fast, do an electronics fast for a day.  No texting, messaging, social media, videos, podcasts, video games, etc.... for the day.  Remember to offer up your fast for an intention, like gaining a grace.