The Church Courtyard > General Catholic Discussion

Brandmüller on future papal conclaves: less voters, more options

(1/3) > >>

Christina_S:
I came across this interesting piece today and thought I'd share it to stir the pot.

http://magister.blogautore.espresso.repubblica.it/2021/10/26/fewer-electors-and-more-candidates-the-conclave-of-cardinal-brandmuller%e2%80%99s-dreams/

He calls for bringing the number of cardinals back down to 70, as set by Sixtus V, and I think he's got a point: JPII in particular went too far in messing with the game when he created so many new cardinals and raised the ceiling to 120. The argument could be made that the universal Church needs to be represented by the electors, but Brandmüller retains the "representation" aspect by stating that you don't necessarily need to be a cardinal to be elected pope. Bishop Joe Trad could be picked from some random corner of the world.

To be perfectly realistic, I think the next conclave will be a disaster and someone worse than Francis will be elected. But hypothetically, let's play with these ideas. Do you think Brandmüller is onto something? 

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez:

--- Quote from: Christina_S on October 27, 2021, 09:51:46 AM ---To be perfectly realistic, I think the next conclave will be a disaster and someone worse than Francis will be elected.

--- End quote ---

Diabolical disorientation is waking up a lot of lukewarms.

How many here have increased their acts of reparation post-Pachamama?

trentcath:

--- Quote from: Christina_S on October 27, 2021, 09:51:46 AM ---I came across this interesting piece today and thought I'd share it to stir the pot.

http://magister.blogautore.espresso.repubblica.it/2021/10/26/fewer-electors-and-more-candidates-the-conclave-of-cardinal-brandmuller%e2%80%99s-dreams/

He calls for bringing the number of cardinals back down to 70, as set by Sixtus V, and I think he's got a point: JPII in particular went too far in messing with the game when he created so many new cardinals and raised the ceiling to 120. The argument could be made that the universal Church needs to be represented by the electors, but Brandmüller retains the "representation" aspect by stating that you don't necessarily need to be a cardinal to be elected pope. Bishop Joe Trad could be picked from some random corner of the world.

To be perfectly realistic, I think the next conclave will be a disaster and someone worse than Francis will be elected. But hypothetically, let's play with these ideas. Do you think Brandmüller is onto something?

--- End quote ---

Didn't it used to be the rule, a long time ago, that only Italian bishops (what this means pre-Italy is I suppose Bishops of a see in what is now Italy) were made Cardinals? The rules then got more and more relaxed and you ended up with Cardinals as some sort of geographical representation of the Church with each cardinal representing a constituency etc... I am not sure whether reducing or increasing the number of cardinals will do anything in and of itself though, the issue is whether the reduced or increased number of cardinals are perverts or Catholics or not.

MaximGun:

--- Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on October 27, 2021, 10:39:24 AM ---How many here have increased their acts of reparation post-Pachamama?

--- End quote ---

My guess, not very many.

Most Catholics are so poorly catechized they don't know what reparation is.

How many don't eat meat on Fridays and has that number increased post-Pachamama?

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez:

--- Quote from: MaximGun on October 28, 2021, 09:29:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on October 27, 2021, 10:39:24 AM ---How many here have increased their acts of reparation post-Pachamama?

--- End quote ---

My guess, not very many.

Most Catholics are so poorly catechized they don't know what reparation is.

How many don't eat meat on Fridays and has that number increased post-Pachamama?

--- End quote ---

Well, I intended to ask how many here have increased their acts of reparation.  My mistake if the question about reparation was confused with the reference to lukewarms.

It's going to take a lot more than pachamama to wake up the circlechurch "all are welcome" types.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version