The Parish Hall > General News and Discussion

"F*ck Joe Biden" chant

(1/7) > >>

GiftOfGod:
I've noticed recently that many anti-Bideners like to yell this. These same people just months before would harshly condemn anyone saying the "F*ck Donald Trump" chant. And they also wouldn't have dared saying something similiar about Obama or any other President. But now it seems that so-called conservatives are OK with yelling profanities ,directed at a head of state, in public. Some conservatives are uncomfortable saying "F*ck Joe Biden" and are co-opting a non profane version but it has the same meaning: Let's Go Brandon! https://news.yahoo.com/lets-brandon-rights-anti-biden-151224274.html

It really shows how the culture is disintegrating. To see how this behavior was viewed, let's go back to the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, 1968, where conservative intellectual (and Catholic) William F. Buckley, Jr. debated liberal intellectual Gore Vidal. The context of this quote was the reaction to Chicago policemen beating up and arresting left wing protesters.

--- Quote ---Vidal: These people [the protesters] came here with no desire other than anybody’s ever been able to prove than to hold peaceful demonstrations.

Buckley: I can prove it. I can prove it. I was fourteen windows above that gang last night, and the chant between eleven o’clock and five o’clock this morning, from four or five thousand voices, was sheer, utter obscenities directed at the president of the United States. I say it is remarkable that there was as much restraint shown as was shown, for instance, last night by cops who were out there for seventeen hours without inflicting a single wound on a single person, even though that kind of disgusting stuff was being thrown at them, and at all of American society.
--- End quote ---

Keep in mind that the President of the United States at the time was highly unpopular, especially with conservatives, and might have even held the office illegitimately (via assassination of his predecessor). But it was widely seen as wrong to yell rude things at the leader of the nation. Only far-left wing protestors did that at the time.

Not anymore. What do you think this means for our country? Also, should Catholics be engaging in this behavior?

AlNg:

--- Quote from: GiftOfGod on October 20, 2021, 06:33:29 PM ---should Catholics be engaging in this behavior?

--- End quote ---
I would say no. I think that the Bible is clear that you should not use foul language.
Colossians 3:8
But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.

Matthew 12:36-37
I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”
James 3:10
From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.
Ephesians 5:4
Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.
Matthew 15:10-11
And he called the people to him and said to them, “Hear and understand: it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.”
James 1:26
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.

Psalm 141:3
Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez:

--- Quote from: AlNg on October 20, 2021, 06:49:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: GiftOfGod on October 20, 2021, 06:33:29 PM ---should Catholics be engaging in this behavior?

--- End quote ---
I would say no. I think that the Bible is clear that you should not use foul language.
But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.

I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”
From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.
Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.
And he called the people to him and said to them, “Hear and understand: it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.”
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.

--- End quote ---

The prooftexting unbeliever strikes again

GiftOfGod:

--- Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on October 20, 2021, 08:21:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: AlNg on October 20, 2021, 06:49:49 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

The prooftexting unbeliever strikes again

--- End quote ---
Not an argument.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez:

--- Quote from: GiftOfGod on October 20, 2021, 08:46:12 PM ---Not an argument.

--- End quote ---

It actually is.  It's not the place of an unbeliever to lecture Catholics about Catholic morality.

To your post:

1. Chanting FJB does not express a desire that serious harm befall him or that he self-copulate.

2. It might be contrary to piety, but because he wasn't elected, that's not obvious.

3. Should Catholics say FJB?  I'd say no, on account of the coarse language.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version