Coffee, Donuts, & Spite?

Started by Insanis, June 27, 2021, 08:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: Insanis on July 02, 2021, 03:52:42 PM
Does anyone not see that this is a forum issue?

This thread was about the number and kind of hostile threads in this subforum.

A thread from the same poster who made most of those threads made another thread about Hinduism in the Coffee and Donuts and it was locked, and discussion of that locked thread moved to this one.

When a thread is closed, continuing discussion of it another thread is very weird.

If people want a free form chat, they can use the chat. It is better than using a random thread to continue closed discussions.

"Run, run as fast as you can, you can't catch me, I'm the censorship man!
No, no, don't attack me, my arguments are none, but I'll persist like a flea!
Ew ew, no pagans tonight, unless they're Ancient Roman, then I'll read in delight!"
Run, run, as fast as you can, even if I can't catch you, I'll call for your ban!"
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

Jayne

Quote from: TheReturnofLive on July 02, 2021, 03:16:26 PM

I admit that I should've been more "descriptive" in my title, but I didn't think that these "Holy Prophets" would assume I was trying to encourage pagan worship - for if you actually read the text, no reasonable, sane, or rational person could come to that conclusion.

I do not recall anyone saying that you were trying to encourage pagan worship.  (You really do have a tendency to use straw man arguments.)  People criticized the thread for relativism and indifferentism. The conversation was being sustained by people who assume that Hinduism and Catholicism are just two religions among many others, with no recognition that Catholicism is the only true religion that leads to salvation.  The underlying assumption was that religion is an interesting academic topic.

There were also people raising concerns that you, as someone struggling with doubts, were spending time thinking about false religions rather than material that would strengthen your faith.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: Jayne on July 02, 2021, 04:08:03 PM
Quote from: TheReturnofLive on July 02, 2021, 03:16:26 PM

I admit that I should've been more "descriptive" in my title, but I didn't think that these "Holy Prophets" would assume I was trying to encourage pagan worship - for if you actually read the text, no reasonable, sane, or rational person could come to that conclusion.

I do not recall anyone saying that you were trying to encourage pagan worship.  (You really do have a tendency to use straw man arguments.)  People criticized the thread for relativism and indifferentism. The conversation was being sustained by people who assume that Hinduism and Catholicism are just two religions among many others, with no recognition that Catholicism is the only true religion that leads to salvation.  The underlying assumption was that religion is an interesting academic topic.

There were also people raising concerns that you, as someone struggling with doubts, were spending time thinking about false religions rather than material that would strengthen your faith.

Do you even know what relativism means? Or indifferentism?
I wasn't making a decision on it's substantive content either way.
Nor was I making the claim that Hinduism was equal or authoritative as Catholicism.

I came across it through someone else, and I found it entertaining and thought it was worth sharing. I don't believe in the authority of the Vedas, nor do I believe that the essence or substance of all matter is secretly God (which is what they believe; as a matter of fact, they are idolators in the most literal sense, as they literally do believe that worshipping their statutes means worshipping their gods, because all matter is God; and even then, they also believe that their statues are "special channels" for communicating with their gods).
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: Insanis on July 02, 2021, 03:48:09 PM
Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on July 02, 2021, 03:10:19 PM
How can any discussion on Communism, or Feminism, or Freemasonry, or "Wokeism", and so on possibly be allowed by anyone on a traditional Catholic forum?  It's all dangerous stuff opposed to Catholicism!  (Rhetorical question.)

Exactly.

Those kinds of things are not a free for all discussion for everybody.

They must be discussed within the context of the forum.

Insanis, I'm not trying to fruitlessly argue with you or cause issues on here with you or anybody else; but you ignored the first part of my post in order to make a quick jab or perhaps to avoid conceding that I may have had a valid point with what I was saying (in the full context of my post) -- at least that what it seems like from my perspective.  If Kaesekopf agrees with you that only select conversations can be had by select people in select locations on this forum, then hopefully he will implement a rule change spelling out the select parameters of all allowable conversation and posting on the forum.

I have no hard feelings towards you at all; but I realize that you likely don't care about and won't consider anything I have to say because I'm not a practicing Catholic, so I'll not pursue this conversation any further.  Thank you for your replies.

Jayne

Quote from: TheReturnofLive on July 02, 2021, 04:14:46 PM
Do you even know what relativism means? Or indifferentism?

I have an MDiv degree.   I actually graduated at the top of my class. I know what a great many theology terms mean and am able to use them correctly in sentences.  You have no call to talk down to me. 

Quote from: TheReturnofLive on July 02, 2021, 04:14:46 PM
Nor was I making the claim that Hinduism was equal or authoritative as Catholicism.

I did not say you made this claim.  I said this was the assumption of all the non-Catholics who were discussing the topic, making this an implicit part of the conversation. 

Optatus

I apologise if anything I posted in the thread scandalised anyone. I am actually not remotely interested in Hinduism, but instead in the trend of men of my generation developing a sort of fixation with it. The Indo-European matter is also a point of historical interest for me since it is obliquely related to my field of study during my university career.

Jayne

How can any discussion on Communism, or Feminism, or Freemasonry, or "Wokeism", and so on possibly be allowed by anyone on a traditional Catholic forum?  It's all dangerous stuff opposed to Catholicism!  (Rhetorical question.)

Lydia, since you were not satisfied with the answer that Insanis gave, I will give one too.

Catholics and non-Catholics have different assumptions.  Discussing feminism, communism, etc. from a Catholic perspective is different from discussing these topics from a non-Catholic perspective.  When a thread's discussion becomes dominated by the non-Catholic perspective (with Catholics interjecting comments that they find the topic inappropriate)  then something is really wrong.

Jayne

Quote from: Optatus on July 02, 2021, 04:27:43 PM
I apologise if anything I posted in the thread scandalised anyone. I am actually not remotely interested in Hinduism, but instead in the trend of men of my generation developing a sort of fixation with it. The Indo-European matter is also a point of historical interest for me since it is obliquely related to my field of study during my university career.

I was not scandalised by your posting at all.  If yours had been the only responses, i would have been far less concerned.  The fact that the topic primarily drew interest from non-Catholics made me uneasy. 

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: Jayne on July 02, 2021, 04:24:05 PM
I have an MDiv degree.   I actually graduated at the top of my class. I know what a great many theology terms mean and am able to use them correctly in sentences.  You have no call to talk down to me. 

Nice; let me know when you know how to use it.

I did not say you made this claim.  I said this was the assumption of all the non-Catholics who were discussing the topic, making this an implicit part of the conversation.

None of my posts on that topic have anything to do with the soundness of Hindu doctrine, so your own assumption about my own assumption is non-sensical, and I have thus the right to question you if you even know what "relativism" means.

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: Jayne on July 02, 2021, 04:36:16 PM
Quote from: Optatus on July 02, 2021, 04:27:43 PM

I was not scandalised by your posting at all.  If yours had been the only responses, i would have been far less concerned.  The fact that the topic primarily drew interest from non-Catholics made me uneasy.

"But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition." - Pliny the Younger's Letter to Trajan

Vetus Ordo

You can tell this forum is on its last legs when even a completely harmless thread posted in "Coffee Pot" about Hindus having some similar insights to Catholicism concerning the end times, has been immediately hijacked by our resident dynamic duo and turned into another occasion to virtue signal ad nauseam, until KK duly obliged them and locked it.

Rest in peace, Suscipe Domine.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Jayne

'It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife'.  Jane Austen

(We are doing random quotes now, right?)

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: Jayne on July 02, 2021, 04:31:42 PM

Lydia, since you were not satisfied with the answer that Insanis gave, I will give one too.

Catholics and non-Catholics have different assumptions.  Discussing feminism, communism, etc. from a Catholic perspective is different from discussing these topics from a non-Catholic perspective.  When a thread's discussion becomes dominated by the non-Catholic perspective (with Catholics interjecting comments that they find the topic inappropriate)  then something is really wrong.

Here's a non-Catholic perspective for ya:

"They behave like women, all these great enthusiasts and prodigies—they regard "beautiful feelings" as arguments, the "heaving breast" as the bellows of divine inspiration, conviction as the criterion of truth." - Friedrich Nietzsche

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: Jayne on July 02, 2021, 04:44:51 PM
'It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife'.  Jane Austen

(We are doing random quotes now, right?)

Use your MDiv degree and realize it's a quote about you.

Jayne

Good, I was right about the random quotes.