Accusation of Satanism: Crossed a Line

Started by Insanis, June 19, 2021, 11:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insanis

I don't want to have a thread about statistics and health get derailed by false accusations, so here they are:

Quote from: andy on June 19, 2021, 09:58:48 AM
What is the point of skull head beads in a Rosary? Is not that what satanists use?

Quote from: andy on June 19, 2021, 10:38:44 AM
Quote from: Melkor on June 19, 2021, 10:04:51 AM
Quote from: andy on June 19, 2021, 09:58:48 AM
What is the point of skull head beads in a Rosary? Is not that what satanists use?

A stark reminder of death. While I?m not a huge fan, I understand the concept behind using them.

So how that "reminder" help contemplating mysteries?

Many traditional Catholic imagery and symbolism may be unfamiliar to some, and that is alright, but this is not a good faith query: it is just an excuse to attack me.

The use of the symbolism is easily verified as ancient and traditional, I don't want to profane sacramental or promote them as any sort of commerce, so I am not going to address the bad-faith claims in those questions.

However, this is intolerable. The personal petty sentiment of this person to dislike me, which is shared by others on this forum, has crossed a line.

These are rosaries, sacramentals for prayer, and I will not have them attacked by hateful trolls just because they don't like me.

Any Catholic should be minimally aware that some Catholic imagery is perhaps stark like this: including upside down crosses, depictions of martyrs, and other less than "pretty" images.

For a faith which every year puts ashes on people's heads and tells them they are going to die, the idea that we may have some less than joyous symbols should not be a shock, even if one has never seen one before.

I took great care when making those to prevent them from being used by non-Catholics who wanted to misuse them. I even turned down an offer to buy them from someone who I knew didn't want to use it for prayer or devotion (I did offer to make a regular necklace or something if they really wanted, but apparently, they wanted to profane a rosary specifically).

andy, retract your claims, apologize for them, and then maybe you can ask politely and respectfully for an explanation of them and how traditional they are.

If anybody responds to this thread just to attack me or support these claims or otherwise troll me, I've had it: you have confirmed your evil will. You can, and do, post such things everywhere else on this forum.

This accusation has crossed a line and if you jump over it yourself, so be it.

And, if anybody quibbles about "those were questions" as if they were honest, you can join him.

diaduit

Hand on heart, I wasn't too sure about the skull on a rosary bead set and did think it looked occultish but I did a quick google to see that yes it is used by Catholics so I didn't post obviously. 

However asking a question is not the same as accusing, as you yourself said in the thread about fleur and veto ie you were not accusing them of adultery just asking for clarification. Goose and gander!

Melkor

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Insanis

Quote from: Melkor on June 19, 2021, 11:41:15 AM
Insanis what the heck is your problem?

Devotion, it seems.

Some things are sacred and I take that seriously.

Quote from: Matthew 7:6Give not that which is holy to dogs; neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest perhaps they trample them under their feet, and turning upon you, they tear you.

Posting traditional Catholic devotions, of more than one sort, is an invitation for such things on this forum.

Melkor

Quote from: Insanis on June 19, 2021, 11:44:23 AM
Quote from: Melkor on June 19, 2021, 11:41:15 AM
Insanis what the heck is your problem?

Devotion, it seems.

Some things are sacred and I take that seriously.

Quote from: Matthew 7:6Give not that which is holy to dogs; neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest perhaps they trample them under their feet, and turning upon you, they tear you.

Posting traditional Catholic devotions, of more than one sort, is an invitation for such things on this forum.

Andy was asking a simple question, not trolling you by falsely accusing you of Satanism.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Insanis

Quote from: Melkor on June 19, 2021, 11:46:34 AM

Andy was asking a simple question, not trolling you by falsely accusing you of Satanism.

Quote from: Insanis on June 19, 2021, 11:29:43 AM
And, if anybody quibbles about "those were questions" as if they were honest, you can join him.

Melkor

Quote from: Insanis on June 19, 2021, 11:48:32 AM
Quote from: Melkor on June 19, 2021, 11:46:34 AM

Quote from: Insanis on June 19, 2021, 11:29:43 AM

Join him....? Right....

andy

An online search for skull bead rosary indeed showed satanic rosaries. I have never seen a catholic, let alone a trad using rosaries with skull beads.

The main point of Rosary is while reciting the most important Church prayers, to meditate 15 mysteries. So anything which distracts is not good IMHO. I personally use a simplest possible Rose Wood Rosary.

Melkor

The Curt Jester

Speaking of skulls, Carmelite monasteries keep a human skull in the refectory (eating area).

The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Jayne

Context matters.  Something that would be taken as a genuine question posed in ignorance by one person, takes on different connotations with posed by a person with a history of hostility.  It is quite reasonable that Insanis would take the questions as a continuation of the previous ongoing hostility.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

andy

Quote from: Melkor on June 19, 2021, 12:29:55 PM
https://ruggedrosaries.com/blogs/news/47563205-meaning-of-skulls-in-rosaries-is-it-proper

Well, they sell them, so what would to expect. And besides saying there is some historical evidence, they do not tell what it is.

The Rosary as we know It today was approved by St. Pius V in 1569, not:
QuoteThe use of symbolic skulls in rosaries and chaplets dates all the way back to the late middle ages (1050 - 1500)

Last but not least:
QuoteThe skull bead on a rosary is meant to provide a focus for contemplating one's mortality.

But the objective of the Rosary is not to contemplate one's mortality but 15 mysteries. Something is off here for sure.

andy

Quote from: Jayne on June 19, 2021, 01:01:08 PM
Context matters.  Something that would be taken as a genuine question posed in ignorance by one person, takes on different connotations with posed by a person with a history of hostility.  It is quite reasonable that Insanis would take the questions as a continuation of the previous ongoing hostility.

No, I was truly shocked by the fact that someone can put skulls on a Rosary.

A history of hostility - do you refer to me?

And by the way, why do you apply the measure of context to Insane.

Jayne

Quote from: Melkor on June 19, 2021, 12:29:55 PM
https://ruggedrosaries.com/blogs/news/47563205-meaning-of-skulls-in-rosaries-is-it-proper

That is a good summary of the Catholic view: 
QuoteThe skull bead on a rosary is meant to provide a focus for contemplating one's mortality. A memento mori rosary reminds us of our mortality and that we will one day die and stand before the Lord Jesus, our soul awaiting His judgement. The Latin phrase Memento Mori means "Remember your death", and it is a spiritual practice of acknowledging your mortality and thus a reminder to live your life on earth virtuously. Certainly, a skull rosary is not for everyone as some people may find it morbid.

The use of symbolic skulls in rosaries and chaplets dates all the way back to the late middle ages (1050 - 1500). They were particularly popular in Italy, Germany, and Mexico with priests, nuns, and monks.  But, skulls on rosaries have been used for hundreds of years, and historical art and doctrine supports the use of skulls on the rosary.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Insanis

My entire presence on this forum has strongly emphasized and professed the doctrines of the Church and defense of the theology, devotions, and traditions.

I made it clear I was always Catholic (traditional) and was continuously so.

The fact that someone saw a rosary I made and immediately wrote the question suspecting it was Satanic was hateful to the extreme.

Such a thing could happen in the world, where people don't know, but here, I expect a Catholic response and at least a recognition that I am Roman Catholic and always have been.

The very idea someone could look at a rosary of mine and think such a thing is reprehensible in this setting.

A line has been crossed: and that poster's history is part of it.

That is what happens when you have a posting history of hostility.

I hope my posting history shows an unwavering commitment to the doctrines of the Church.