The Parish Hall > The Natural Sciences

Getting Vitamin D through sunlight

(1/3) > >>

Jayne:
https://www.kevinstock.io/health/health-dangers-of-sun-avoidance/

Here are some key excerpts from a longer article:

--- Quote ---We know cardiovascular diseases like heart attacks and strokes as well as overall mortality increase the further you move from the equator. And we know there is a strong correlation between blood levels of vitamin D and the latitudes at which people live.

The risk of heart disease and heart attack dramatically drop in the summer, and go way up in the winter.

The more sunshine you get (the higher your vitamin D levels) the healthier you are. We have known this. It is why vitamin D has garnered so much recognition. Many people think vitamin D deficiency is the root cause of our downward spiraling health.

Vitamin D deficiency is associated with nearly every chronic illness you can think of.

And most of us are deficient.

Up to 85% of Americans and nearly 95% of senior citizens donít have adequate levels of vitamin D. Deficiencies are even more common in people with darker skin because not only are they living indoors like the rest of the modern world, but they have a ďthicker shieldĒ as well.

Less sunlight + more melanin = people with darker skin suffering higher rates of heart disease, diabetes, and cancers. Diseases that are all lessened with more sunlight exposure.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Sun exposure is known for increasing Vitamin D production, which is immensely important. But thatís not it.

Sun exposure also releases a number of other critical compounds in the body like nitric oxide which lowers blood pressure and serotonin and endorphins which make you feel good. It regulates circadian rhythms that improve sleep. Itís been shown to decrease the risks of cancers, mental health disorders, autoimmune diseases, and even improve fertility and metabolic syndrome.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Letís address the elephant in the room. Skin cancer.

Yes, we know that sun exposure is linked with skin cancers. However, not all skin cancers are the same. Basal cell carcinomas and squamous cell carcinomas are rarely fatal. For every 100 people that die from cardiovascular diseases, about 1 dies from skin cancer.

The deaths associated with sunlight deprivation far outweigh that from sun exposure.

Melanoma
Melanoma is the deadly type of skin cancer. Itís quite rare (1-3% of all new skin cancers).

Sun exposure isnít the problem though. Outdoor workers have half the melanoma rate as indoor workers. Rather, the risk stems from being indoors 24/7 and then vacationing for a week and getting burnt to a crisp.

The evidence is that long-term sun exposure is inversely related to melanoma. More sun, less melanoma.

The risks the sun poses is:

Not getting enough
Getting burned (because of 1)
Getting regular sun not only decreases your chances of getting melanoma but various other cancers too. Regular sun exposure increases your life expectancy and decreases the likelihood of developing most of the chronic diseases of modern world.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Hereís my simple guidelines:

Donít get burned Ė if this means using sunscreen Ė than use it. If you have fairer skin and need sunscreen to avoid burning, spend some time in the sun without the sunscreen applied and some time with it. If you have darker skin, know that you need more time in the sun and need less protection.
Get some sun every day you possibly can. Not only will you be getting the huge benefits associated with sunshine, you will also be less likely to burn, and thus decrease your risk from UV radiation.
Mid-day is the best time to get sun. This is when UVB rays, the wavelength that produces vitamin D, is highest.
Fair-skinned people can nearly maximise vitamin D in about 20 minutes during solar noon with adequate skin exposure. The darker the skin, the more time you need.
--- End quote ---

The author is a proponent of the carnivore diet, so the article also talks about the role of eating meat in having adequate Vitamin D.  I only selected quotes about the sunlight aspect, so it could be considered separately.

drummerboy:
Sunlight has also been effective in treating skin conditions like psoriasis.

clau clau:
This new learning amazes me Sir Bedevere. Explain to me again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.     ;D

Insanis:
I get Vitamin D the old fashioned way, from a bottle.

drummerboy:

--- Quote from: Insanis on June 01, 2021, 05:29:48 PM ---I get Vitamin D the old fashioned way, from a bottle.

--- End quote ---

Vodka is old Russian folk cure for no sun during long winter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version