The Story of a Soul. Free, just pay shipping.

Started by Bernadette, December 09, 2021, 05:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

I'm offering a preowned copy of The Story of a Soul, by St. Therese of Lisieux for free, just pay shipping. This is the edition put out by ICS Publications, translated from the original manuscripts by John Clarke. It's fantastic. Good condition.
My Lord and my God.

LausTibiChriste

Already have it, but just want to vouch for the John Clarke translation, it is by far the best one out there.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Bernadette

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on December 10, 2021, 04:11:43 AM
Already have it, but just want to vouch for the John Clarke translation, it is by far the best one out there.

It really is; it's like a completely different book!
My Lord and my God.

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Bernadette on December 10, 2021, 06:33:45 AM

What year was it published and is there an imprimatur?
Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

Bernadette

Quote from: GiftOfGod on December 10, 2021, 02:43:19 PM

1972 and yes.
My Lord and my God.

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Bernadette on December 10, 2021, 04:19:28 PM

1972 and yes.
Into the trash it goes.

By 1972, the Church was largely demolished from the inside-out, leaving only a facade; Conciliar bishops who had not only signed-off on the heretical Second Vatican Council but actively implemented the "Spirit of Vatican II", the New Mass, and the restriction of the TLM. Evil spirits were guiding their actions, so no traditional Catholic should read a so-called "Catholic" book with an imprimatur after the 1950s.
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: GiftOfGod on December 10, 2021, 05:43:20 PM

1972 and yes.
Into the trash it goes.

By 1972, the Church was largely demolished from the inside-out, leaving only a facade; Conciliar bishops who had not only signed-off on the heretical Second Vatican Council but actively implemented the "Spirit of Vatican II", the New Mass, and the restriction of the TLM. Evil spirits were guiding their actions, so no traditional Catholic should read a so-called "Catholic" book with an imprimatur after the 1950s.

Quit being a faggot - it's St Therese. And I'm sure earlier editions have imprimaturs

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

GiftOfGod

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on December 10, 2021, 05:47:04 PM

1972 and yes.
Into the trash it goes.

Quit being a faggot - it's St Therese. And I'm sure earlier editions have imprimaturs
Translations are a battleground. Church authorities realized that, which is the the Vulgate is the definitive translation of the Bible (someone tell Xavier that). Protestants realized it, which is why their translations always favor their views. That's why every new translation of any Catholic text requires a new imprimatur. Unless one is very familiar with an author (or translator), it's best to stay with the old stuff.

Bernadette

This translation is more complete and hasn't been altered like previous translations.
My Lord and my God.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: GiftOfGod on December 10, 2021, 06:03:24 PM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on December 10, 2021, 05:47:04 PM

1972 and yes.
Into the trash it goes.

Translations are a battleground. Church authorities realized that, which is the the Vulgate is the definitive translation of the Bible (someone tell Xavier that). Protestants realized it, which is why their translations always favor their views. That's why every new translation of any Catholic text requires a new imprimatur. Unless one is very familiar with an author (or translator), it's best to stay with the old stuff.

If he made the translation in the 70s, what good would it do you anyways since the Imprimatur would come from a fake bishop?

Clarke's translation is solid af. Not everything is a conspiracy

- MaximGun

GiftOfGod

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on December 10, 2021, 06:08:33 PM
If he made the translation in the 70s, what good would it do you anyways since the Imprimatur would come from a fake bishop?

Clarke's translation is solid af. Not everything is a conspiracy
I never said fake because very few bishops in the 1970s were consecrated using the new rite of episcopal consecration, which is of doubtful validity. I hope that translation is good and while I agree with you that everything is not a conspiracy, it is suspiciousness of novelty that keeps trads in tradition. If NO seminary textbooks in the late 1960s were unbearably Modernist (as former NO seminarian Fr. Cekada claimed) then it's not unthinkable to suspect a new translation of a saint's writings in the 1970s. The change in liturgy and theology from 1960 to 1970 was extremely drastic sudden. The "hermeneutics of continuity" continued after V2 and the promulgation of the NO Mass.

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Bernadette on December 11, 2021, 09:00:47 AM
Thanks for derailing the thread, Gog.
You're welcome for keeping your thread in the Updated Topics list and letting people know the risks of post-V2 books..

Kaesekopf

Hopefully someone took you up on this! 

St Therese is wonderful [emoji3059]

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 21, 2021, 09:57:24 AM
Hopefully someone took you up on this! 

St Therese is wonderful [emoji3059]

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

So far, no one has.
My Lord and my God.