I partially blame my priest for my bad fallout with the faith

Started by Mizan_30, March 29, 2023, 08:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instaurare omnia

Quote from: Mizan_30 on March 29, 2023, 10:16:47 AM
Quote from: clau clau on March 29, 2023, 10:14:24 AM
Quote from: Mizan_30 on March 29, 2023, 10:02:09 AM
Quote from: Instaurare omnia on March 29, 2023, 10:01:15 AMWhich protestant sect says it's OK to disregard the Sixth Commandment? What part of "Thou shalt not commit adultery" is hard to understand? You ask for advice, then you ridicule what we tell you.

Why exactly do you and your "partner" even want to become Catholics if you can't take its precepts seriously?

The protestant sect that did not preach the existence of hell.  The sect that said that we should focus more on love and less on what is rigth and wrong. And that once you fornicate, you technically become one flesh and thus husband and wife. We took catholicism's precepts seriously at first, until our hearts hardened by sin (and disappointment in how our catechizing was going)

Some seed fell on rocky ground where there was little soil. The seed soon sprouted, but when the sun came up it burnt the young plants.
-- https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zd76rj6/revision/2 (the parable of the seed and the sower)

A gardener too, great. Hope you get good harvest this year.

Maybe you should investigate the source of that quote and its meaning for Christians. Look up "Parable of the Sower" if you don't feel like using the convenient link above. Then write a short paragraph -- for yourself -- as to how it explains your situation in particular. We don't need to see it. But you do need to think about it very seriously before asking us for any more advice.
Nisi Dominus custodierit civitatem, frustra vigilat qui custodit eam (Psalm 126:2).
Benedicite, montes et colles, Domino: benedicite universa germinantia in terra, Domino (Daniel 3:75-76).
Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation (Psalm 145:2-3).

clau clau

Quote from: Instaurare omnia on March 29, 2023, 10:01:15 AMWhich protestant sect says it's OK to disregard the Sixth Commandment? What part of "Thou shalt not commit adultery" is hard to understand? You ask for advice, then you ridicule what we tell you.

Why exactly do you and your "partner" even want to become Catholics if you can't take its precepts seriously?

The protestant sect that did not preach the existence of hell.  The sect that said that we should focus more on love and less on what is rigth and wrong. And that once you fornicate, you technically become one flesh and thus husband and wife. We took catholicism's precepts seriously at first, until our hearts hardened by sin (and disappointment in how our catechizing was going)

Some seed fell on rocky ground where there was little soil. The seed soon sprouted, but when the sun came up it burnt the young plants.
-- https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zd76rj6/revision/2 (the parable of the seed and the sower)

I'm not really a fan of gardening but you are certainly a comedian and this thread is comedy gold.

Question: What's the difference between Swedes and mosquitoes?
Answer: Mosquitoes are only annoying in the summer.
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Mizan_30

How about you grow some spine and speak clear language instead of dancing around supposed comedy nobody is laughing with. Or you can go troll elsewhere.

Mizan_30

Quote from: Instaurare omnia on March 29, 2023, 10:22:39 AM

Maybe you should investigate the source of that quote and its meaning for Christians. Look up "Parable of the Sower" if you don't feel like using the convenient link above. Then write a short paragraph -- for yourself -- as to how it explains your situation in particular. We don't need to see it. But you do need to think about it very seriously before asking us for any more advice.

Sure, I can do that.

Hannelore

Also I recommend My Catholic Faith by Bishop Morrow. You can find it online at archive.org. it's very thorough and easy to understand.
My Lord and my God.

Mizan_30

Quote from: Bernadette on March 29, 2023, 10:44:47 AMAlso I recommend My Catholic Faith by Bishop Morrow. You can find it online at archive.org. it's very thorough and easy to understand.

why do you recommend it?

Hannelore

Because it's so detailed and yet easy to grasp. Here's the link to the 1949 version.https://archive.org/details/mycatholicfaithm00morr
My Lord and my God.

Mizan_30

drummerboy

Quote from: Mizan_30 on March 29, 2023, 09:27:52 AM
Quote from: drummerboy on March 29, 2023, 09:17:07 AMWhat puzzles me is this is the same poster who had scruples about a cervical exam a few months back, but now that we get the full story it is quite...interesting.  Perhaps the priest was sensing a certain lack of full commitment and that's why he was taking his time and testing you.  He must answer to God for dispensing His sacraments and grace, and therefore Baptism is not given lightly.

What exactly does my post about cervical exam have to do with this? I have wondered what the Church's stance is on such medical procedures for years.

The big picture.  You are concerned over the morality of a routine medical procedure but apparantly have been living in sin for years? Were you living as brother and sister at any point? Contracepting? You ask people about your situation, which you freely told us, so you're going to get scrutiny and questions in return if we're to be of any assistance.
"My hope is the Father, my refuge is the Son, my protection is the Holy Spirit.  Holy Trinity, glory to You." 
"All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God; guard me under your protection."

Josephine87

QuoteAll we needed was a priest to give us a crash course in the catechesis ("this is what the Church teaches, this is what you are allowed and not allowed to do. Agree? Great, let's set up a date for the sacraments!") and set up an exchange of vows, because we were eager to marry and have children and did not want to fornicate. But our priest did not act with urgency. He took a surprisingly slow approach, which at the time, we were not aware of the consequences which it has for us today.

It seems like you made an assumption about how things should have gone, according to you. The priest saw the situation differently. You said you missed your classes that only took place once or twice a month. Your priest probably thought that was really flaky and showed a lack of commitment.

The fact is, nothing is "sped up" for the sacraments unless you're some genius like St Teresa Benedicta. And that is especially true for marriage. If a pregnant woman and her boyfriend approach a Catholic priest he will usually wait until after the child is born to perform the marriage. There is a significant danger of annulment otherwise.

I converted in a traditional parish. I had to go to a 1 hour class with my priest every week for 8 months before I could be baptized and confirmed. If I had only attended 1 class every 4 to 6 weeks I likely would not have received the sacraments.

Something tells me this priest didn't trust your dedication? It does sound like he has an issue too, no one should torture their catechumens/students and that is a weird thing to say. But your approach is more wrong than that.
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Josephine87 on March 29, 2023, 05:08:31 PMIt does sound like he has an issue too, no one should torture their catechumens/students and that is a weird thing to say. But your approach is more wrong than that.

From the OP:
QuoteThat's when my priest did the unthinkable. With all the obstacles and hindrances I had already faced as a convert, and with the temptations that came from 5 years courtship, he decided to give even more obstacles -- he assigned me the task to write 3 essay answers to 3 questions. He did not assign my boyfriend the same thing, just me. I was shocked. He had not done this to other previous parishioners, only to some of his recent young catechumens. And he was thrilled about this, said he likes to "torture" his students this way.

This "torture" comment sounds like a joke.  Writing a paragraph answering three questions is not remotely torture.  He was probably joking around, and now OP is using it as some sort of cudgel against a priest doing his best. 

Also:  OP had no problem writing a short essay running down a priest and making excuses for herself.  However, she somehow can't explain three questions of the Catholic Faith.  But by her account she is deserving of a "fast track" path to conversion? 

Come now. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Josephine87

Good point, I didn't consider it could be a joke, I think I misread a bit where he later said he only wanted short answers.
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

Reader

When applying to colleges, I had to write a couple essays for each application. It wasn't really that hard. And while I think higher education is important, religious conversion considerations have more far-reaching impacts and deserve at least as much reflection.

Greg

In David Attenborough's voice.

And here we have "stultus inscribitur femina", a feature commonly found in the early 21st Century.  We know from the writings of these people that the tendency to blame others for their failings precipitated the demise of their society and the inability to defend themselves against the Chinese conquest. Unable to cope as parents they adopted dogs and cats and shared pictures of them on devices called smartphones and so their society deteriorated within a generation or two.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Tennessean

Without the priest's point of view, I don't want to say. I'm guessing you're ESL, and your priest is using english. Torture is just hyperbole, he didn't mean he's out to get you. And you live in a dangerous country, so you cohabitated with a man for safety? Sounds bad, but you should get your own place. My catechesis was spread out over a year, I was given homework, all done remotely in separate time zones. There's nothing unusual about your catechesis. Catholicism requires ascenting to and believing in certain dogmas, they're what set us apart from philosophies like nihilism or Buddhism. We have to know things about God, the Church, and how to respond to the gift of Faith.