A Perfect Hatred

Started by ·, January 09, 2023, 12:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

·

Have I not hated them, O Lord, that hated thee: and pine away because of thy enemies? I have hated them with a perfect hatred: and they are become enemies to me. Prove me, O God, and know my heart: examine me, and know my paths. And see if there be in me the way of iniquity: and lead me in the eternal way. (Psalm 138:21-24)

If one loves what is good, one must hate the privation of that good. By definition, love is the cause of hate. The greater the love, the greater the hatred. (ST I-II Q 29 A 1) We cannot have contrition for our sins without hatred of evil.

Heresies, blasphemies, and all evils should be hated with a perfect hatred. Love, without hate, is lukewarm and not truly love. Recall the terrible warning: I know thy works, that thou art neither cold, nor hot. I would thou wert cold, or hot. But because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold, nor hot, I will begin to vomit thee out of my mouth. (Apocalypse 3:15-16) We are commanded: If you love me, keep my commandments. (John 14:15) And if we do this, we will hate sin, as written: By thy commandments I have had understanding: therefore have I hated every way of iniquity. (Psalm 118:104)

Heresies, blasphemies, and violations of the Commandments are scandals. The world is full of scandal and many evils will be published, but as we are warned: Woe to the world because of scandals. For it must needs be that scandals come: but nevertheless woe to that man by whom the scandal cometh. (Matthew 18:7) We do not have to do them ourselves, but only consent to them: they who do such things, are worthy of death; and not only they that do them, but they also that consent to them that do them. (Romans 1:32)

We cannot be the disciple of the Lord if we do not hate everything else in comparison, as the Lord says: If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. (Luke 14-26) It was not said if one hated not distant empires, powerful people for whom one has no existing affection, and worldly affairs that are outside of one's control, one cannot be my disciple, as many would seem to think.

Much of the world professes the idea of intellectual freedom and the diversity of ideas. So often, the faithful when presented with the choice will suddenly become like-minded with the world: decrying censorship and promoting free-thinking and belittling those who do not. This is a false love of pleasure being put above the love of God. A lesser good being desired over a greater good is a sin. Profession of faith is not enough: Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 7:21) If we say we hate evil, yet, do not act to purge it when it presents itself in our lives, we are lying.

You that love the Lord, hate evil: the Lord preserveth the souls of his saints, he will deliver them out of the hand of the sinner. (Psalm 96:10)

AlNg

Quote from: Docebo·Iniquos on January 09, 2023, 12:14:59 AMWe cannot be the disciple of the Lord if we do not hate everything else in comparison, as the Lord says: If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. (Luke 14-26)
Hate is a strong word.

Acolyte

@Docebo·Iniquos

This is a good post. Are you going to eventually put all these topics on your website ?
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Non Nobis

Quote from: AlNg on January 09, 2023, 01:55:39 AM
Quote from: Docebo·Iniquos on January 09, 2023, 12:14:59 AMWe cannot be the disciple of the Lord if we do not hate everything else in comparison, as the Lord says: If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. (Luke 14-26)
Hate is a strong word.
Drbo.org (Catholic) commentary:

[26] "Hate not": The law of Christ does not allow us to hate even our enemies, much less our parents: but the meaning of the text is, that we must be in that disposition of soul, as to be willing to renounce, and part with every thing, how near or dear soever it may be to us, that would keep us from following Christ
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

TradGranny

It's problematic to isolate one or several verses and ignore the totality of Scripture.

1st Epistle of St Paul to the Corinthians       
Chapter 13    

[1] If I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. [2] And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. [3] And if I should distribute all my goods to feed the poor, and if I should deliver my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila

Julio

^^I agree that there must be no isolation of one or several verses and ignore the entirety of the Bible.

Nonetheless, charity is love. To love is to will the good of the other according to St. Thomas Aquinas. God is love because He will the good of His creations. He loves all that He made. The degree of which vary according to His will. In the process among those that He did is to bring those sinners that He love in hell because He wills the goodness of them. In my understanding of charity, we humans must love God by obeying his will and so we must hate sinfulness. Thus all our sufferings, pains, success and achievements must be for the glory of God, thus the charity for He is love. Ergo, the more we love God the more that we must hate sinfulness.

Julio

Just to add, this is a classic showcasing of detachment to all of God's creation like our family and material possessions. It does not mean we must hate them in the context of hating them, but not to put our priorities towards them but only to God. This was shown by Abraham's obedience when he was ordered by God to butcher his son and he manifested to follow His will for the love of God. This was shown by Job for not sinning and cursing God despite his unimaginable sufferings. This was ultimately shown by Jesus when He remained in the grace of God and at peace despite being nailed in the cross. Loving for God only, means hating sins and the snares of the devil.

Miriam_M

Scripturally, "hate" sometimes means simply repudiation -- a clear choice for good and rejection ("hatred") of bad.

TradGranny

Quote from: Julio on February 22, 2023, 02:03:29 PMJust to add, this is a classic showcasing of detachment to all of God's creation like our family and material possessions. It does not mean we must hate them in the context of hating them, but not to put our priorities towards them but only to God. This was shown by Abraham's obedience when he was ordered by God to butcher his son and he manifested to follow His will for the love of God. This was shown by Job for not sinning and cursing God despite his unimaginable sufferings. This was ultimately shown by Jesus when He remained in the grace of God and at peace despite being nailed in the cross. Loving for God only, means hating sins and the snares of the devil.

Yes Julio. I agree with what you say, which is similar to "hate the sin, but love the sinner."
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila