What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aulef

Finished 'Introduction the Devout Life' last week.

Restarted 'Treatise on the Love of God'.

Both by Saint Francis de Sales.
Tota pulchra es, Maria
Et macula originalis non est in Te

Josephine87

Quote from: Bernadette on November 30, 2022, 12:43:59 PMIn This Corner of the World . A manga about a young woman during WWII in Japan.

How did you like this?  Would it be appropriate for a 5th/6th grader?
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

Bernadette

Quote from: Josephine87 on February 18, 2023, 09:04:16 PM
Quote from: Bernadette on November 30, 2022, 12:43:59 PMIn This Corner of the World . A manga about a young woman during WWII in Japan.

How did you like this?  Would it be appropriate for a 5th/6th grader?
I didn't get very far into this, but I've seen the movie that's based on it. It deals with war and violence, so I'm not sure I'd recommend it to a 5th grader.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Blood Sport. The President And His Adversaries by James Stewart. A fairly evenhanded account of Vince Foster and Whitewater.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

clau clau

Just finished.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Notes-Small-Island-Journey-Through/dp/1784161195
-- Bill Bryson

I am not sure I liked the author much *. Some of his observations about Britain's towns
and cities were interesting. He seemed to jump around all over the place though.

Effectively, he visited random places across the 'small island' and criticised most of them
but then concluded that he liked Britain. He seemed to like the posh 'cultured' parts most.
(smells and bells?).

* - He seemed to lose his temper fairly regularly with 'little' people like hotel receptionists
and bus drivers. People like that piss me off.
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

red solo cup

Quote from: clau clau on February 23, 2023, 08:20:35 AMJust finished.

-- Bill Bryson

I am not sure I liked the author much *. Some of his observations about Britain's towns
and cities were interesting. He seemed to jump around all over the place though.

Effectively, he visited random places across the 'small island' and criticised most of them
but then concluded that he liked Britain. He seemed to like the posh 'cultured' parts most.
(smells and bells?).

* - He seemed to lose his temper fairly regularly with 'little' people like hotel receptionists
Highly recommend his In a Sunburned Country. Hilarious.

Instaurare omnia

Quote from: clau clau on February 23, 2023, 08:20:35 AMJust finished.

-- Bill Bryson

(smells and bells?).

Sounds similar to how he went about The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America. It's very perceptive and evocative and sometimes hilarious, but after a while the condescension gets to be a bit much, and the people he describes sound more like an anthropological vitrine of caricatures.
Nisi Dominus custodierit civitatem, frustra vigilat qui custodit eam (Psalm 126:2).
Benedicite, montes et colles, Domino: benedicite universa germinantia in terra, Domino (Daniel 3:75-76).
Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation (Psalm 145:2-3).

Bernadette

The Count of Monte Cristo, the Robin Buss translation. It's like a completely different book. In a good way. :P
My Lord and my God.

Prayerful

Butler's Lives of Saints is something I try read most days. The Saints selected are interested, a mix of the most notable, but also relatively obscure like SS. Romanus and Lupicinus for today. My great grandfather on my mother's side read it to his children every night.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Bernadette

Life of Christ and Biblical Revelations by Bl. Anne Catherine Emmerich.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

The Way of Divine Love. I had to buy this from Kobo since that was the only place I could find it as an ebook. I'm still reading Sr. Josefa's biography.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Mussolini's War. Fascist Italy From Triumph To Collapse 1935-1943 by John Gooch

Bernadette

Following PRayerful's example, I'm reading Butler's Lives of the Saints. The complete version, all 6,000+ pages of it.  ;D
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

moneil

"The Breviary Through The Centuries" by Dom Pierre Salmon