What Moment of Catholic History Would You Like to be Part?

Started by Julio, January 30, 2023, 11:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

Quote from: Greg on January 31, 2023, 01:48:29 AMFor me it would be being a fly on the wall when Quis met Laura.

What about when Impy found the top secret Vatican documents greenlighting transexualism?
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Greg

I think I would skip anything to do with Impy and the Vatican.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Melkor

I would have loved to be there when St. Boniface took an axe to the oak tree. I can imagine the look on the faces of the pagans would have been amusing.

I would also have liked to be in the ranks of Charles Martel's Frankish wolf warriors when they stood on a wooded slope and repelled the advance of the Moorish cavalry invading France.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Julio

^^That fight against the Moors was great moment too. If that halting of them in Iberia was the event that I shall participate, I am more inclined to be among those warriors and was serving under the Kingship of Ramiro I of Asturias in the Battle of Clavijo and fighting against the Saracens with the help of Santo Santiago Matamoros.

CatholicStudyAttempt

You know, ending the federal legality of abortion was a pretty big thing for the USA I didn't think would happen, so today is good. I also think a lot of the critical theory type stuff will crumble on it's own absurdity and that it scares people into reconsidering Christianity and if maybe "progress" of LGBT isn't all it's claimed to be.

Julio

^^Today is really challenging. We have a holder of the sit of St. Peter who states matters that is actually the representation of the large number of the people who call themselves Catholics. I think God put him there to shame all of us who have the awareness of this. Himself being the holder of that sit, inspite and despite of all his pronouncement he is the authority and we owe respect to this authority. Can you feel that pain?

We ought to pray for him, in my humble opinion.

CatholicStudyAttempt

Quote from: Julio on March 28, 2023, 10:29:27 PMWe ought to pray for him, in my humble opinion.

Yeah, there is good in the man as much as he also goes into heresy of "don't evangelize", etc. I should pray from him and for better orthodoxy on the seat of Peter, for it IS a powerful office in spite of the greater power Hollywood seems to have.

Julio

I think the more we state words against this holder of the authority, the more that we shall get chastisements from God in view of the disrespect to the holder of that office of St. Peter.

truly-a-philosofan

Go back to the year 1960 and ensure the actual third secret is released.
Christ as the Source of all beauty:
« What surprised him (Blessed Henry Suso) most was to see Eternal Wisdom now under the aspect of a young maiden, the prodigy of heavenly and earthly beauty; now under the form of a young man whose countenance reflected all the beauties to be found on earth. »
St. Louis de Monfort, The Love of Eternal Wisdom, Chapter 11, no. 132.

drummerboy

Quote from: Julio on March 28, 2023, 11:01:55 PMI think the more we state words against this holder of the authority, the more that we shall get chastisements from God in view of the disrespect to the holder of that office of St. Peter.

Its a very fine line, and I'm sure the devil loves making otherwise good, faithful Catholics dance around it.  We must be careful that our criticisms, as such, are directed at calling out the evil done and error taught from the Pope, but never at the Office or Pope himself.  It should be aimed at correction and admonishment.  Properly, this should be done by the clergy, in particular the bishops, but there have been times in the Church where laity have been "called up" to address the evil as well, when the hierarchy is so evil and lax they fail to do so.  Such is a time, I'm afraid.  We must remember also that prayer and penance is better than criticism, and most admonishment - although we must call out sin when we see it, or else participate by our silence and earn God's judgment.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Julio

Quote from: drummerboy on March 29, 2023, 09:24:13 AMIts a very fine line, and I'm sure the devil loves making otherwise good, faithful Catholics dance around it.  We must be careful that our criticisms, as such, are directed at calling out the evil done and error taught from the Pope, but never at the Office or Pope himself.  It should be aimed at correction and admonishment.  Properly, this should be done by the clergy, in particular the bishops, but there have been times in the Church where laity have been "called up" to address the evil as well, when the hierarchy is so evil and lax they fail to do so.  Such is a time, I'm afraid.  We must remember also that prayer and penance is better than criticism, and most admonishment - although we must call out sin when we see it, or else participate by our silence and earn God's judgment.
Vatican 2 happened in the lifetime of St. Padre Pio. I never know of words spoken by him against the Pope the way it is done by so many people who label themselves as traditionlists these days. The demeanor of Santo Padre Pio showed how a Catholic must behave towards the authorities, I submit. I fully agree with you brother of the importance of prayers. God bless.

dueSicilie

I would want to see the most tragic fall of Constantinople-New Rome and Constantine XI

drummerboy

Quote from: Julio on March 30, 2023, 01:43:46 PM
Quote from: drummerboy on March 29, 2023, 09:24:13 AMIts a very fine line, and I'm sure the devil loves making otherwise good, faithful Catholics dance around it.  We must be careful that our criticisms, as such, are directed at calling out the evil done and error taught from the Pope, but never at the Office or Pope himself.  It should be aimed at correction and admonishment.  Properly, this should be done by the clergy, in particular the bishops, but there have been times in the Church where laity have been "called up" to address the evil as well, when the hierarchy is so evil and lax they fail to do so.  Such is a time, I'm afraid.  We must remember also that prayer and penance is better than criticism, and most admonishment - although we must call out sin when we see it, or else participate by our silence and earn God's judgment.
Vatican 2 happened in the lifetime of St. Padre Pio. I never know of words spoken by him against the Pope the way it is done by so many people who label themselves as traditionlists these days. The demeanor of Santo Padre Pio showed how a Catholic must behave towards the authorities, I submit. I fully agree with you brother of the importance of prayers. God bless.

You have a good point, however, I would add that Padre Pio was a religious who took a vow of obedience, so that would be enough for him to refrain from "commentary" on V2.  He wished to be a poor friar who prays, and his ministry was at the altar and confessional, so I doubt he would even bother to scrutinize the Council texts anyway.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Tennessean

A condottiere or landesknecht. Maybe conquistadore. Great lover of art and women and bloodshed. So the mediocre shitbags could clutch their pearls and piss and moan how awful I was, how mean, "boo hoo!" So they could preach in their tv screeds like Yellowstone how I hurt the poor natives, and all the idiots believe and feed into my legend. So they could cry about my slaves or many lovers or whatever their democratic worldview fears most. Life itself.

Tennessean

lol that was edgy. I'd like the Renaissance, though. I'd be content with hut in the hills, somewhere in walking distance to a chapel.