Does anyone here mill their own flour/other grain at home?

Started by Padraig, March 23, 2019, 01:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

I picked up a bushel each of wheat and rye for $26 at the nearby feedmill.  We have to watch out for stray corn kernels or protein pellets, but the price is unbeatable.  We'll do a coarse grind in our Victorio food mill, then sift it in a fine mesh strainer.  The result is a somewhat fine whole wheat "white" flour, and plenty of bran to use in flatbread (like Swedish knackerbrod) or as breadcrumbs
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

diaduit

Quote from: drummerboy on July 16, 2020, 10:44:33 AM
I picked up a bushel each of wheat and rye for $26 at the nearby feedmill.  We have to watch out for stray corn kernels or protein pellets, but the price is unbeatable.  We'll do a coarse grind in our Victorio food mill, then sift it in a fine mesh strainer.  The result is a somewhat fine whole wheat "white" flour, and plenty of bran to use in flatbread (like Swedish knackerbrod) or as breadcrumbs

What do you think of a Country manual mill?  is it worth the money?  Going to buy bags of grain for storage and for using but wouldn't have the mill...I want quality but is Country mill OTT.

drummerboy

I like the Victorio as you can purchase an electric motor separately, but still use the hand crank if necessary.  It doesn't have the nice flywheel like the country mill so hand cranking isn't as "pleasant," but that motor is much appreciated, there's a reason people switched to electric after all.

Lynne

Kind of a side track but using spent grain, from brewing beer, is a great way to make low carb bread.  Unfortunately, the two breweries that I've spoken to send their spent grain to farms for animal slop.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Lynne on August 23, 2020, 03:29:38 PM
Kind of a side track but using spent grain, from brewing beer, is a great way to make low carb bread.  Unfortunately, the two breweries that I've spoken to send their spent grain to farms for animal slope.

I almost tried this last time my husband brewed beer (a few years ago), but life circumstances got in the way, and it didn't happen.

Lynne

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on August 23, 2020, 03:52:16 PM
Kind of a side track but using spent grain, from brewing beer, is a great way to make low carb bread.  Unfortunately, the two breweries that I've spoken to send their spent grain to farms for animal slope.

I almost tried this last time my husband brewed beer (a few years ago), but life circumstances got in the way, and it didn't happen.

I know! So many projects, so little time!

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

drummerboy

Kind of a side track but using spent grain, from brewing beer, is a great way to make low carb bread.  Unfortunately, the two breweries that I've spoken to send their spent grain to farms for animal slop.

I would hardly call it slop; brewers' grain is super nutritious (also very high in estrogens) and extremely beneficial to cows' milk production, similar to nursing women who take brewers' yeast tablets to promote lactation.  Farmers pay good money for it when they can get it

drummerboy

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on August 23, 2020, 03:52:16 PM

As a side note, hops are a sedative and an anaphrodisiac, which explains why beer makes men sleepy and sluggish.  Try making beer without the hops, they're mostly a preservative and bittering agent.

Lynne

Quote from: drummerboy on September 03, 2020, 11:11:51 AM

I would hardly call it slop; brewers' grain is super nutritious (also very high in estrogens) and extremely beneficial to cows' milk production, similar to nursing women who take brewers' yeast tablets to promote lactation.  Farmers pay good money for it when they can get it

Darn! Well, that's what they're doing with it... Darn!

And I'm not going to start brewing beer to get the spent grain.  :P