Fogazzaro - Il Santo

Started by Bonaventure, December 28, 2012, 06:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

I've read online that this work, which was condemned by St. Pius X, described what the progressives (i.e. heretics) wanted as the Conciliar Church. Theodore Roosevelt praised it, saying, "it is a good book for any sincerly religious man or woman of any creed, provided only that he realizes that conduct counts for more than dogma."
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

tmw89

Quote from: Bonaventure on December 28, 2012, 06:00:50 PM
I've read online that this work, which was condemned by St. Pius X, described what the progressives (i.e. heretics) wanted as the Conciliar Church. Theodore Roosevelt praised it, saying, "it is a good book for any sincerly religious man or woman of any creed, provided only that he realizes that conduct counts for more than dogma."

Blah... the number of times I heard that heretical tripe over the past few days is too great to count.  Curse and blaspheme all you want, but if you're a "good person" then hey!  Secular World Best Friends Forever Club approves of you!
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Bonaventure

It's truly the masonic, liberal ideal of today. Conduct over creed. Just be a good person.

Earlier this year, a trad priest recommended that I watch Act of Valor. It was a good movie, but at the end, the narrator read something, apparently by Tecumseh, as the dead father's "letter" to his son. Guess what the letter said?
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide. Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none. When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision. When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

It's the reason why I had problems with the indifferentist statements of Mother Teresa.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: tmw89 on December 28, 2012, 06:07:41 PM

Blah... the number of times I heard that heretical tripe over the past few days is too great to count.  Curse and blaspheme all you want, but if you're a "good person" then hey!  Secular World Best Friends Forever Club approves of you!

Hahaha.   My (thankfully now ex-) girlfriend spouted this nonsense at me whenever I got talking about anything religious.  "My religion is about community and yours is about being dogmatic."  She was an NOer who, of course, never actually went to Mass.  The few times she did go (namely when I came out to visit and made her go), she always got mad at me whenever I griped about how terrible the NO is afterwards.  "It's what I grew up with!  I really don't appreciate that you are being so dogmatic about it.  I just like being able to sing the songs and to be with everyone."  Sterling logic, that, but I think unfortunately indicative of this whole mentality.  Being "dogmatic" is the only and ultimate sin.  Never mind that the anti-dogma stance is itself dogmatic--in the irrational, pejorative sense.
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Bonaventure

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Bonaventure on December 28, 2012, 07:45:46 PM
Oh my.

Yeah, my response exactly.  The high point of Mass for her was the peace parade.  I really, really don't understand.  It was not good for the state of my soul.  I'm not even sure she knows what Transubstantiation is.  At one point I had to correct her because she claimed that the Church doesn't teach that Purgatory exists anymore...

Product of a "Catholic" high school and college.  Mother is the organist at their local parish.  Yep.
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Bonaventure

Well, she had to have been quite a catch for you to be with her, no?

tmw89

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on December 28, 2012, 07:44:52 PM
Quote from: tmw89 on December 28, 2012, 06:07:41 PM

Hahaha.   My (thankfully now ex-) girlfriend spouted this nonsense at me whenever I got talking about anything religious.  "My religion is about community and yours is about being dogmatic."  She was an NOer who, of course, never actually went to Mass.  The few times she did go (namely when I came out to visit and made her go), she always got mad at me whenever I griped about how terrible the NO is afterwards.  "It's what I grew up with!  I really don't appreciate that you are being so dogmatic about it.  I just like being able to sing the songs and to be with everyone."  Sterling logic, that, but I think unfortunately indicative of this whole mentality.  Being "dogmatic" is the only and ultimate sin.  Never mind that the anti-dogma stance is itself dogmatic--in the irrational, pejorative sense.

Last NO I went to was with and for a certain (just as thankfully now ex-) girlfriend of mine a few years ago.  At least it was part of a little bargain - she tries my Mass and I suffer through the NO.

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on December 28, 2012, 07:49:08 PMAt one point I had to correct her because she claimed that the Church doesn't teach that Purgatory exists anymore...

THAT I heard a "Catholic" NO grade school teacher spout in class - when I was a schoolboy!
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Bonaventure

Quote from: tmw89 on December 28, 2012, 07:58:29 PM
Last NO I went to was with and for a certain (just as thankfully now ex-) girlfriend of mine a few years ago.  At least it was part of a little bargain - she tries my Mass and I suffer through the NO.

Is that the reason anyone on this board goes to a NO? For a girl?

8)

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Bonaventure on December 28, 2012, 07:53:04 PM
Well, she had to have been quite a catch for you to be with her, no?

Oh, yes, she wasn't so bad on the whole.  But it became clearer and clearer that there were some rather crucial issues (this, among others) about which there was going to be no chance of reconciliation.  So, it came to an end.  I guess that's what I get for being too dogmatic, haha.  Oh well.  I pray she will come to be less trifling and lukewarm about the Faith someday.  I bear her no ill will.  She was simply never properly catechized, so she ended up becoming a relativist and an indifferentist.  Not that it makes it any better that she affirms those beliefs, but I can understand why it's hard for her to think that some guy who isn't even Catholic knows more about the Church and her teachings than she does.  (And we're both academics, so both equally insistent upon the rectitude of our own intellectual positions...   ;D)

Anyway, I have met someone else who is rather wonderful and a much better catch.   ;)

Sorry.  Didn't mean to turn this thread into a disquisition on my personal life, only to offer an instance of the mentality in the OP!

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Bonaventure on December 28, 2012, 08:04:19 PM

8)

Pretty much.  No right thinking person would be dragged into one unless there were some serious ulterior motives at work...   ;D

Bonaventure

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on December 28, 2012, 08:04:57 PM
Sorry.  Didn't mean to turn this thread into a disquisition on my personal life, only to offer an instance of the mentality in the OP!

It's okay. The discussion of theology turning to the discussion of women tends to be the rule, not the exception.

;)

Kaesekopf

8)

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

If no one else will say it...

The modern world cares for one thing:
Luv luv luv. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

tmw89

8)

Pretty much, although I've resolved that in the event my vocation lies not in the priesthood and I get another girlfriend, I'm not going to the NO again - no way, no how!

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 28, 2012, 09:54:26 PM

That silence right there... it's what one might call "deafening."

---