Noobie to forum and hopeful convert

Started by HopefullyRose, December 04, 2023, 12:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HopefullyRose

Thanks to admin for accepting me in this forum.

I have only ever belonged to political internet fora and that is getting very old, tedious and just not gratifying now.

I decided to make a shot at converting at a time of health crisis, when I needed the anchor of faith more than ever.

My user name is from the fact that I am hopeful of becoming a Catholic, and in honor of Saint Rose of Lima, who has played an important role in my life in a roundabout way.  Hopeful because it looks like I will not be able to ever make it because I live quite isolated and thus cannot get to RCIA.

I am an elderly widow.  My husband was raised Catholic, although he fell away in high school and never reverted.  His parents remained devout until they went to be with the Lord, and I always loved their Catholic stories.  Whenever we had reason to go to church, I always felt so much more comfortable in a Catholic church than I ever did in a Protestant church.  BTW, I never really had any religious leaning until recently.

I go to mass at St. Rose of Lima church and love the masses and the Pastor.  Am learning the prayers and as much as I can about anything Catholic.  I assume I can trust people here enough to divulge my whereabouts, in the southeast corner of South Dakota.  I was born and raised here but lived my entire adult life on the West Coast, only having decided to move back to SD after I lost my husband three years ago.

Personality type?  That's hard to say.  It's changing radically as I get older and am finding that what's important to me is changing radically too.

My favorite books are about herbal medicine and now, of course, books about the Saints whom I find interesting.  If anyone has a recommendation of an interesting and readable book about St. Rose of Lima, I'd love to hear about it.  I bought "Wounds of Love" by Frank Graziano and only got as far as the cover notes before I realized that it sounded like the author wanted to make a case for the argument that St. Rose was mentally ill.  Never got around to reading any further.

I carry the Catholic Devotional around in my purse as well as "Pocket Guide To Adoration".  My second favorite place to be is the Perpetual Adoration Chapel in Sioux Falls and when I'm not praying there, I'm reading from these two books.

Reading is contentious for me because I am somewhat autistic, so keeping it short and easily readable is important to me.

I haven't watched a movie for a couple of decades, with the exception of "Sound Of Freedom".  I don't watch any TV.  My husband and I were Seattle Mariners fans until 2020, when baseball finally caved to politics.

I have many hobbies which all involve using my hands to create things.  I spend a lot of time making rosaries to give away to those in need or as special gifts.  I have a large backyard vegetable garden.

Pet peeves -- my newest is getting the boot whenever I say the words "Traditional Catholic".

Fun random facts?  I'm a dog lover and the most religious experience I've ever had was hearing my husband singing "Ave Maria" (Schubert) from the loft of a big, beautiful church for Communion at his niece's wedding.

Currently most engaged in trying to learn as much of the Mass as possible in Latin.

As I said, thanks for letting me in and I'm looking forward to getting to know you folks.

dueSicilie

Welcome!

Out of curiosity who ,,gives you the boot" when they hear ,,traditional catholic", is it protestants, neo-cons/neo-Caths, secular people?

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Michael Wilson

Welcome to the forum! If you are thinking of becoming a Catholic you might try looking into a venue that offers the TLM or a Trad venue such as the SSPX.
On saints books that denigrate saints; I hate these also. I don't know of any good books on "The Lily of the Americas". TAN Books (If I remember correctly) had a book on her life, but I'm not sure.
I'm in a family of sick dog lovers.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Melkor

Welcome!

Baseball took a turn for the worse when they outlawed chew in several major stadiums. 😅
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

drummerboy

Welcome! You'll make it, God will provide a way in time  :pray2:
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

james03

QuoteMy user name is from the fact that I am hopeful of becoming a Catholic, and in honor of Saint Rose of Lima, who has played an important role in my life in a roundabout way.  Hopeful because it looks like I will not be able to ever make it because I live quite isolated and thus cannot get to RCIA.

RCIA is not required and most of the time is not very good anyhow.  Talk to a good Trad priest about converting and explain your situation.  A conservative Novus Ordo priest will work, but the way things are going, the sooner you get on the Trad Train, the better.  Also, people will volunteer to drive you.  If you don't have a sponsor, ask the priest to recommend one for you.

TL;DR:  A dying man who professes Faith and gets baptized IS CATHOLIC.  If you say the creed, go to confession, and receive Holy Communion, you're Catholic.  A formal prepratory course is typical, and preferred, but not required.  You can work with a priest.

TL;DR2: Talk to a priest. 

And welcome.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"