Need some advice

Started by Bernadette, March 18, 2024, 06:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

My uncle (the sewing machine one) has offered to lend me some money to pay off a debt. I would repay him the principal plus 10% as interest. He offered to give it to me, but I said I'd pay it back. He wants me to clear it with my aunt first. I think this is unnecessary as I'm a grown woman, but I'll humor him. I'm worried that she might think I'm taking advantage of his good nature. How should I phrase this request? Thanks, all.
My Lord and my God.

diaduit

I think it is totally unnecessary for your Aunt to be involved in ANY of your dealings with your Uncle.  You are a decent responsible lady who seems to give the due respect to your elder relations but tbh too much so and she will say no anyway

Bernadette

Quote from: diaduit on March 18, 2024, 06:49:23 AMI think it is totally unnecessary for your Aunt to be involved in ANY of your dealings with your Uncle.  You are a decent responsible lady who seems to give the due respect to your elder relations but tbh too much so and she will say no anyway
I agree with you, but he insists, after the sewing machine.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

drummerboy

I would accept the gift, as he freely offered it, without, it seems, any asking on your part.  I've accepted cash gifts from my parents on a few occasions.  But I can also say I never once asked or even hinted at asking for anything, which I believe is important to avoid accusations of taking advantage of others.  And it sounds like your uncle will be happy to help his neice, so accepting the gift can actually be an act of charity on your part as well.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Bonaventure

Accept his charity.

If you find yourself in a position to pay him back, then do so.

No need for interest.

That is what family is for.

Be as tight lipped as possible when discussing with any other relatives
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Bernadette

In the end, I said to her: "You wouldn't mind if Uncle X lent me some money, would you? He wanted me to run it by you first." She replied: "I don't care. Why would I care?" then proceeded to ask me all sorts of questions about it and warn me against getting into debt again.
My Lord and my God.

diaduit

hahha, sure you got the go ahead then....there ya go.

Bernadette

Well now, after all of that, he's decided not to lend it to me after all. I'm finding it hard to trust him now, tbh. This is the second time he's offered something and then withdrawn it.
My Lord and my God.