Brits - where to live in the UK?

Started by LausTibiChriste, January 20, 2024, 02:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LausTibiChriste

'Allo mates,

After 7 years in central and eastern Europe, my wife and I are looking to move for a variety of reasons. We have entertained many options and have narrowed it down to:

1) Canada (Not a good option)
2) The UK
3) Russia (90% no while the war is on)
4) Italy
5) Dubai (as a last resort)

So, for the Brits on here (I know there are a few of you), where would you suggest living?

We will homeschool and I will be working remotely, so we're pretty much free to go anywhere we fancy. I was thinking about starting in North London (Belarusian Catholic Church is up there, as is a flight school I want to go to, plus the Piccadilly line could get us to the Oratory every Sunday). From there we could explore the country and figure out where to settle.

Our priority is to be near the TLM of course (I would prefer ICKSP, then FSSP, then SSPX), but also somewhere nice so my wife can be comfy, preferably rural but not too rural.

I could drag on about it but I'll let ye Brits get the ball rolling with your suggestions, if you'd be so kind.

(Yes I know the UK is brown and woke but so is everywhere basically)
(If any Yanks waddle in here and suggest your hell-hole, 7 years of penance)
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

The Curt Jester

I would never suggest where I live, but I would say that if you want to substantially cut down on your purgatory time, you might want to consider it.  :D
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

clau clau

I never give advice on where to live. Somebody advised me, years ago, to move to where I am living now; and then six months later moved away, and advised me again to move to their new location. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

It took me a while to get used to where I moved, to and I hated it at first, but I am used to it now. I personally would not go anywhere near London - Sadiq Khan's
personal ULEZ fiefdom - but it's your decision. You pays your money and you takes your choice.
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Michael Wilson

Check out the areas that are near a TLM listed below.
Good luck.

Here is a TlM Map of officially approved Latin Mass Locations in the U.K.
https://www.latinmassdir.org/country/uk/
Fraternity of St. Peter Mass centers U.K.
https://fssp.org.uk/locations/
Institute of Christ the King, U.K.
https://icksp.org.uk/
Here is the SSPX site
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1vCAJVyynylC29K7gv9MXXiiR4cY&hl=en&ll=39.84471561770248%2C45.35803792407826&z=2
Finally, Sede Chapels
CMRI
https://cmri.org/cmri-directory-of-traditional-latin-masses/cmri-traditional-latin-mass-directory-outside-the-usa/#ENGLAND
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

awkward customer

I'm surprised that you would think of moving to the UK. But like everywhere else, it depends on where.

If you're thinking of somewhere at the north end of the Piccadilly Line, then don't bank on being able to get the Oratory in a reasonable time on a Sunday morning.  Besides, the 11am sung Mass is Novus Ordo, albeit in Latin and with the beautiful choir.  The Sunday morning TLM is at 9.00am at the High Altar. You may as well get off at Holloway Road and go to the SSPX 11am Mass.

I wouldn't advise anyone to move to the UK.  If I was advising anyone, I'd say find somewhere with lots of rich people nearby, somewhere a bit urban, not necessarily rural or remote.  There were no lockdowns in Chelsea, so I heard.  Meanwhile, some of the remote Scottish islands were locked down for 6 months.

Italy sounds good though, or the south of France.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Greg

Move to anywhere outside the M25 motorway.  London is a shithole now.  Full of scum and mixed scum too, so there's not even a community of scum.

Kent and Essex are the cheapest to live.  Other home counties like Herts and Surrey are more expensive.

If you want friendly English you have to be north of Birmingham.  Preston, Lancs is nice, people are much nicer up there and more friendly.  Housing is cheaper.  Weather is shittier though.

No lockdowns in Chelsea?  That's not true.

The only place in London that was not locked down was Stamford Hill.  I went to Hampstead Health in the middle of lockdown, (I am talking peak lockdown), for an open air business meeting and passed through Stamford Hill.  Those hassidic jews were carrying on their everyday activities and the police totality ignored them.   It was amazing to see.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Heinrich on January 21, 2024, 12:10:10 PMWhy bearish on Russia?

I'm not bearish it's just not practical and TLMs are virtually non-existent

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: awkward customer on January 21, 2024, 11:52:22 AMI'm surprised that you would think of moving to the UK. But like everywhere else, it depends on where.

If you're thinking of somewhere at the north end of the Piccadilly Line, then don't bank on being able to get the Oratory in a reasonable time on a Sunday morning.  Besides, the 11am sung Mass is Novus Ordo, albeit in Latin and with the beautiful choir.  The Sunday morning TLM is at 9.00am at the High Altar. You may as well get off at Holloway Road and go to the SSPX 11am Mass.

I wouldn't advise anyone to move to the UK.  If I was advising anyone, I'd say find somewhere with lots of rich people nearby, somewhere a bit urban, not necessarily rural or remote.  There were no lockdowns in Chelsea, so I heard.  Meanwhile, some of the remote Scottish islands were locked down for 6 months.

Italy sounds good though, or the south of France.

Honestly, language is one of the biggest issues. It's fine when you're single or a young married couple and it is fun living out here. But once you have kids and start needing to deal with schools, pediatricians, immigration offices etc, it becomes a real pain in the ass when you can't talk to anyone. It's workable, but still a pain in the ass. And other things like not being able to hang out too much with people after Mass.

I like the UK (much to me Dad's chagrin) and the TLM offerings there are plentiful. In Canada, if you end up losing a TLM because of a shite Bishop, the next one over is a 12-hour drive away.

South France (Lyon) and Italy are high up there for me (Speak passable French and Italian is getting better). Just need to get the wife on board - "The problem with France is there are French people there". Lyon has one of the few Russian Catholic parishes in the world, plus lots of SSPX churches, schools and a monastery nearby. Rome is Rome and I'll get a front seat to The Show that God is about to unleash.

Thanks all!

- MaximGun

Greg

Watch this.

Chinese commie freaks and police Karens.

https://www.youtube.com/live/65iwnI2hjAA?si=oldlIjjZ5u0NBUAF

Avoid London at all costs.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Maximilian

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on January 21, 2024, 05:54:00 PMLyon has one of the few Russian Catholic parishes in the world, plus lots of SSPX churches, schools and a monastery nearby.

Lyon is not far from the Dominicans of Fanjeux. If you have girls, it's worth moving just for that.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Maximilian on January 21, 2024, 06:25:07 PM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on January 21, 2024, 05:54:00 PMLyon has one of the few Russian Catholic parishes in the world, plus lots of SSPX churches, schools and a monastery nearby.

Lyon is not far from the Dominicans of Fanjeux. If you have girls, it's worth moving just for that.

Thanks Max.

- MaximGun

LausTibiChriste

- MaximGun

drummerboy

How's Cornwall?  I only ask because Michigan's Upper Peninsula had a large Cornish immigrant population (copper and iron mines), and they still make Cornish Pasties up there (yum :swoon: )
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: drummerboy on January 21, 2024, 08:33:09 PMHow's Cornwall?  I only ask because Michigan's Upper Peninsula had a large Cornish immigrant population (copper and iron mines), and they still make Cornish Pasties up there (yum :swoon: )

I know they have an ICKSP parishe and the Carmelites at Lanherne

- MaximGun