I’m new to learning Portuguese

Started by dueSicilie, June 29, 2020, 07:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dueSicilie

Olá, tudos.

I started learning Portuguese recently. I have studied French Latin and Italian in the past, and am decent in colloquial Spanish with work mates, although never studied it.

Any advice?

Jayne

You will probably find the pronunciation the most difficult aspect of the language, so perhaps you should give it some extra attention.  The vocabulary should be relatively easy for someone who knows Latin and other Romance languages.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Fleur-de-Lys

Jayne,
Do you speak Portuguese?  :)

DueSicilie,
I don't have any general advice, but if you ever have any specific questions, Vetus Ordo and I speak Portuguese, and we would be happy to help you. Are you focusing on Brazilian or European?

Fleur-de-Lys

I should add that Vetus Ordo is Portuguese. So he has native-speaker competence, but also the annoying habit of telling people they're wrong, when they're speaking perfectly correct Brazilian Portuguese!  :D

Jayne

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on July 02, 2020, 04:30:05 PM
Jayne,
Do you speak Portuguese?  :)

I studied it a bit when my son married a woman of Portuguese descent.  I don't speak it, but I have some general knowledge of its linguistic features.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on July 02, 2020, 04:40:11 PM
I should add that Vetus Ordo is Portuguese. So he has native-speaker competence, but also the annoying habit of telling people they're wrong, when they're speaking perfectly correct Brazilian Portuguese! :D

Consider it a spiritual work of mercy.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on July 02, 2020, 05:26:00 PM
I should add that Vetus Ordo is Portuguese. So he has native-speaker competence, but also the annoying habit of telling people they're wrong, when they're speaking perfectly correct Brazilian Portuguese! :D

I warned you, dueSicilie. Also, his accent is impenetrable.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on July 02, 2020, 05:54:33 PM

I warned you, dueSicilie. Also, his accent is impenetrable.

I.e., native.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Fleur-de-Lys

Vetus, your accent is impenetrable even to natives. But it is very nice to listen to, even if I still don't always catch every word.

dueSicilie

Hey!

European is my preference. I love the "sh" sound and dropping ending vowels to confuse people.

I started using Duolingo, and listening to a good podcast called Portuguese with Carla. It's confusing to memorize and differentiate the two differing pronunciations.

dueSicilie

What's wrong with his accent? He's not Madeiran is he? I heard their accent is bad

dueSicilie

;D  ;D ;D

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: dueSicilie on July 05, 2020, 01:30:34 PM
What's wrong with his accent? He's not Madeiran is he? I heard their accent is bad

He is Madeiran!  :D

Quote from: dueSicilie on July 05, 2020, 01:29:22 PM
Hey!

European is my preference. I love the "sh" sound and dropping ending vowels to confuse people.

I started using Duolingo, and listening to a good podcast called Portuguese with Carla. It's confusing to memorize and differentiate the two differing pronunciations.

I wouldn't recommend trying to learn both varieties at the same time. It's needlessly confusing. They differ not only in pronunciation, but also to a lesser extent in vocabulary and grammar. Once you reach a certain level of competence in one, it's much easier to pick up the variations of the other. That has been my experience, Vetus' accent notwithstanding.

dueSicilie

Brazilian sounds more like Spanish to me, in the ear. My favourite word is « pão de queijo »

Greg

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.