Man this forum is dead.

Started by Ragnarok, September 24, 2021, 11:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melkor

Quote from: Michael Wilson on September 26, 2021, 09:11:32 AM
C.E.
you are such a positive and helpful person and poster here.
Thank you so much.

I second that, God bless you Christe Eleison!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Melkor on September 25, 2021, 01:02:36 PM
Quote from: Ragnarok on September 24, 2021, 11:02:09 PM
What the hell happened to this place?

Maybe it's just the growth of Reddit, but the only things that are posted here now are just Anti-Vax, Vigano, and 4chan conspiracy tirades, but there is nothing new or substantive, just people complaining to the choir.

I feel like this place had substantive theological discussion and debate. Nobody seems interested in discussing history, theology, etc.

I really liked this place in the past simply because I felt like there was an openness that other Catholic forums didn't have. I remember asking people on OBOB in ChristianForums.com how they could reconcile Pope John Paul II kissing the Quran with Thomas Aquinas, and I was insta-perma-banned for trolling (not even a warning, just permanently banned, no appeal).

But now it just seems to be an politics complaining website, where people complain about stuff they can't or won't  control anyways.

And that is what I hate about most trads' mentality.  They are some of the most negative people; they love to sit back and criticize everyone else and what they are doing, instead of going out there and doing something about it.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dear MELKOR! :seeya:
I love the part that I highlighted! :thumbsup:

"Instead of going out there and doing something about it" :thumbsup:

This is OUR forum, we must take care of it, water it like a plant, contribute to it.
This is OUR playground, we must nourish it!
If something is wrong, then lets do something about it! :thumbsup:

My goodness, Kaesekopf, the forum founder, owner, moderator.  :thumbsup:
Has been kind enough to keep this place running for all of us.
Paying whatever fees every single year to keep it going.
And it has been going on for years. He has been a gracious HOST.
Maintaining the technical aspects, moderating it, etc. No advertising at all!

Some people have been fortunate enough to meet in real life,
I think a couple of people have even married each other. Friendships / bonds have taken place, increased.

So, we need to make sure that we DO NOT take it for granted! And be
GRATEFUL for it! And we need to take care of it!

This forum is a BLESSING to a lot of people! Whether they are members or just lurking!

God Bless you all!

:pray2:

Christe Eleison

C.E.
Thank you so much.

Dear Mr. Michael Wilson, :seeya:
Ahhh, what a nice, kind & caring post :thumbsup: I truly appreciate it!
May God Bless you, my friend! :pray2:
YOU are an AMAZING asset to this forum, Sir! :toth:
I have always looked up to you (even when I was just lurking),
for always being such a gentleman in every post.
And for being so kind & helpful toward others!  :thumbsup:
Thank YOU, Sir!  :toth:
God Bless you!

:pray3:

Kaesekopf

Maybe it's just the growth of Reddit, but the only things that are posted here now are just Anti-Vax, Vigano, and 4chan conspiracy tirades, but there is nothing new or substantive, just people complaining to the choir.

I feel like this place had substantive theological discussion and debate. Nobody seems interested in discussing history, theology, etc.

I really liked this place in the past simply because I felt like there was an openness that other Catholic forums didn't have. I remember asking people on OBOB in ChristianForums.com how they could reconcile Pope John Paul II kissing the Quran with Thomas Aquinas, and I was insta-perma-banned for trolling (not even a warning, just permanently banned, no appeal).

But now it just seems to be an politics complaining website, where people complain about stuff they can't or won't  control anyways.

Be the change you wish to see in the forum.  :)
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

james03

Someone PM Ragnarok's birthday date to C.E. 

As far as the OP, yeah, social media has cut down on forums.  I still find this place useful as a news aggragator for stories that are interesting to Catholics.  And as someone has stated, a lot of the topics that are debated have been hashed out already, so I don't participate as much in the past (as in the AngelQueen days).

As far as the COVID stories, they are 99% kept in the non-religious sub forums and I've found a lot of the content informative, especially a few months ago.

All in all it's a good forum.

edit:  as an example, I learned about Ivermectin here, which led me to try it when I had COVID.  Two days later, I was much better and no side effects.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Christe Eleison

Quote from: james03 on September 26, 2021, 09:41:26 PM
Someone PM Ragnarok's birthday date to C.E. 

As far as the OP, yeah, social media has cut down on forums.  I still find this place useful as a news aggragator for stories that are interesting to Catholics.  And as someone has stated, a lot of the topics that are debated have been hashed out already, so I don't participate as much in the past (as in the AngelQueen days).

As far as the COVID stories, they are 99% kept in the non-religious sub forums and I've found a lot of the content informative, especially a few months ago.

All in all it's a good forum.

edit:  as an example, I learned about Ivermectin here, which led me to try it when I had COVID.  Two days later, I was much better and no side effects. :thumbsup:

See, WE saved your life! ;) :thumbsup: That should be enough, right?  :)

In addition, with all of our COMBINED prayers :pray2:, STORMING HEAVEN for help :pray3:, I am sure that we helped to SAVE other lives as well!

Praise be to GOD ALMIGHTY!! :pray3:

Kaesekopf

Social media has cut down on forum use, but also the Catholic world has gotten a lot less interesting since the beginning of the current papacy. 

There is no mass influx of people to tradition (like what drove me and others my age to other forums), and the groups that exist now are just plodding along until there's some other influx or burst of people into the "movement." 

Besides, once you get an "old" (in terms of longevity, not age!) forum base, the "interesting" debates that used to occur here or on other forums get really, really tiring.  For example, I have no interest in hashing out a discussion on baptism of desire, on the differences in grace, or really the NO vs the TLM.  But, the community here is worthwhile and worth preserving.  And the information and knowledge that is here both in the archives and in the posters are still pretty big.

The forum is dead is a self-fulfilling prophecy.  If you think its dead, why not post more, and post about things that you think are engaging?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 27, 2021, 09:27:02 AM
Social media has cut down on forum use, but also the Catholic world has gotten a lot less interesting since the beginning of the current papacy. 

There is no mass influx of people to tradition (like what drove me and others my age to other forums), and the groups that exist now are just plodding along until there's some other influx or burst of people into the "movement." 

Besides, once you get an "old" (in terms of longevity, not age!) forum base, the "interesting" debates that used to occur here or on other forums get really, really tiring.  For example, I have no interest in hashing out a discussion on baptism of desire, on the differences in grace, or really the NO vs the TLM.  But, the community here is worthwhile and worth preserving.  :thumbsup: And the information and knowledge that is here both in the archives and in the posters are still pretty big. :thumbsup:

The forum is dead is a self-fulfilling prophecy.  If you think its dead, why not post more, and post about things that you think are engaging?  :thumbsup:

Dear KK, :seeya:

We ALL appreciate this forum. We are very GRATEFUL for it! :thumbsup:
And it is DEFINITELY WORTH preserving!
The community is worth preserving! The information is worth preserving!!

If we just look at the PRAYER section, that in itself is a HUGE BLESSING to us ALL! :pray3:
We have all stormed Heaven with prayers, in critical times, and Our Blessed Lord answered them! :pray2:

Of course the forum is going to have highs & lows when it comes to activity, people
moving states/countries, changing jobs, losing jobs, getting married, vacations,
people losing loved ones, elections, earthquakes, hurricanes,
tornadoes, the 3 DAYS of DARKNESS  ;) etc.
And that is normal & OK.  It is LIFE!

It is comforting to know we have a COMMUNITY here, a caring & loving
community waiting for us. :pray3:

Look at what is happening in Australia, if that were to happen all over the world,
including the US, and it is not that far fetched, considering the crazy times we are living in.
This would be the only way for us to have some sort of fellowship, community, etc.

Also, remember, people have ups & downs, that might reflect their absence or
dissatisfaction when posting. It does not reflect on the worth of the forum itself!
Sadly, most people do not appreciate what they have until they lose it.
I hope & pray that it never comes to that!

You have done a tremendous job here, you should be proud of this place!
I personally THANK YOU, from the bottom of my heart! You have my respect & admiration! :toth: 

May God Bless you, KK!

:grouphug:

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 27, 2021, 09:27:02 AM

Besides, once you get an "old" (in terms of longevity, not age!) forum base, the "interesting" debates that used to occur here or on other forums get really, really tiring.  For example, I have no interest in hashing out a discussion on baptism of desire, on the differences in grace, or really the NO vs the TLM.  But, the community here is worthwhile and worth preserving.  And the information and knowledge that is here both in the archives and in the posters are still pretty big. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The forum is dead is a self-fulfilling prophecy.  If you think its dead, why not post more, and post about things that you think are engaging?  :thumbsup:

In case you have not noticed, LAUS is BACK!!  8) :cheeseheadbeer: :cheer:

This amazing event will definitely take things to another level!! :beer: CHEERS!

Christe Eleison

1) If I recall correctly, JAMES, posted earlier in this thread,
that IVERMECTIN saved his life, when he had Covid. He read about it here! 8)

2) We ALL found out about our dear friend, across the pond, when he was incredibly ill (will not post his name, in case he does not want it out in the public) and in the Hospital.
His brother started a prayer thread for him.
We ALL stormed heaven with prayers, Novenas, etc. Our Blessed Lord
answered our prayers.
He RECOVERED! Praise be to God! :pray3:
He even went swimming recently, has no lung damage at all! :thumbsup:

How would we have known about his condition, to be able to pray for him,
without this forum?

There are many more examples of prayers answered, of people helping others
with a question, a job, a recipe, a shoulder to lean on, etc. etc.

People new to tradition, new to the Faith, getting answers, etc.

This FORUM is DEFINITELY WORTH SAVING, PRESERVING!! :thumbsup:

Thank you, KK! :toth:

drummerboy

Quote from: Melkor on September 25, 2021, 01:02:36 PM

And that is what I hate about most trads' mentality.  They are some of the most negative people; they love to sit back and criticize everyone else and what they are doing, instead of going out there and doing something about it.

That's society in general, not just Trads.  The complacency surrounding the recent potential testing mandates in my workplace is astounding, people will just complain, but nobody does anything except say they'll look for another job.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

diaduit

Recently I cut back massively on my online time and I don't check in until evening whereas before I would go on first thing in the morning when kids are still asleep.  That change has done wonders for giving me an upbeat mood (even though I am generally not moody) and by evening time, I am just too tired to to post.  But I don't go a day without looking at SD and getting real news.

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Melkor on September 26, 2021, 07:12:11 PM
C.E.
Thank you so much.

Dear MELKOR, :seeya:

Thank you so much for this kind post :thumbsup: I was really touched by it. I mean that! :toth:
I appreciate that you are always nice, polite & helpful around the forum.
I appreciate the thread that you started about G.K. Chesterton :thumbsup:
Continue as you have been, do not give up contributing here, we need more people like you. Do not ever get discouraged! I wish I could give you a MILLION THANKS around the forum! :thumbsup:

May God Bless you, MELKOR!! :pray3:

Melkor

Quote from: Christe Eleison on September 28, 2021, 02:50:32 PM
C.E.
Thank you so much.

Thank you so much for this kind post :thumbsup: I was really touched by it. I mean that! :toth:
Continue as you have been, do not give up contributing here, we need more people like you. Do not ever get discouraged! I wish I could give you a MILLION THANKS around the forum! :thumbsup:

*Scratches head, looks back at posting history, thinks to self: 'hmm I can be quite rude at times'*
;D

Edit: bolded part in above quote is my own.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Melkor on September 28, 2021, 02:55:28 PM
Quote from: Christe Eleison on September 28, 2021, 02:50:32 PM
C.E.
Thank you so much.

*Scratches head, looks back at posting history, thinks to self: 'hmm I can be quite rude at times'*
;D

Edit: bolded part in above quote is my own.

You have always been respectful & kind to me  :thumbsup:
I doubt that you have been rude.

Thank you, for your contributions to the forum! :thumbsup:

May God Bless you!