TV You're Watching

Started by piabee, August 02, 2013, 01:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

Quote from: Maximilian on October 19, 2013, 11:44:12 AM
I highly recommend Korean drama. It's developing a growing popularity around the world.

Is it dubbed or with sub-titles?
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Maximilian

Quote from: RealJayneK on October 19, 2013, 04:35:52 PM
Quote from: Maximilian on October 19, 2013, 11:44:12 AM
I highly recommend Korean drama. It's developing a growing popularity around the world.

Is it dubbed or with sub-titles?

Sub-titles.

We watch Japanese anime too, and we also choose subbed over dubbed. Half of the fun is listening to the original language.

With Japanese media, however, you have to be really careful what you choose. There are some good things and some really really bad things, and sometimes you can't tell them apart at first.

Here is a Japanese anime series called "Trapp Ikka Monogatari," same basic story as "The Sound of Music," but it's a 40-part television series.

http://kissanime.com/Anime/Trapp-Ikka-Monogatari

The Harlequin King

It's amusing how Japanese anime portrays the West. In our media, Catholicism = corruption, gay monks, and crotchety old pedophile priests.

In anime, Catholicism = 20-year old demon-fighting kung-fu priests in swooshing cassocks and robes. And with a couple of exceptions, Catholicism is the only form of Christianity in existence.

One of my friends, a philosophy grad, uploaded this clip from the anime Reign: The Conqueror onto YouTube. The series is about the life of Alexander the Great. In the clip, Aristotle meets the ghost of Plato. It's full of LOL's since no westerner could possibly conceive of depicting the philosophers this way.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57oKnziHF2Q[/yt]

LouisIX

IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Maximilian

Quote from: The Harlequin King on October 19, 2013, 05:07:48 PM

One of my friends, a philosophy grad, uploaded this clip from the anime Reign: The Conqueror onto YouTube. The series is about the life of Alexander the Great. In the clip, Aristotle meets the ghost of Plato. It's full of LOL's since no westerner could possibly conceive of depicting the philosophers this way.

A saw a couple episodes of this series on Cartoon Network quite a few years ago, back when they showed anime (or anything decent). It's a sci-fi/fantasy version of Alexander the Great, which is not supposed to be realistic. They also had "Inuyasha" on CN back then. It was the first time I had ever seen any Japanese anime.

http://www.animeplus.tv/inuyasha-anime

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Maximilian on October 19, 2013, 08:46:31 PM
It's a sci-fi/fantasy version of Alexander the Great, which is not supposed to be realistic.

Of course. But not even Frank Miller (of 300 fame) couldn't have come up with this. It's a distinctly Japanese take on western history.

Recovering NOer

Quote from: Maximilian on October 19, 2013, 08:46:31 PMThey also had "Inuyasha" on CN back then.

They still do, but it's only Sunday morning at like 3 or 4 AM.  ::)  Cartoon Network in general is a pathetic shadow of its former self.

Maximilian

Quote from: The Harlequin King on October 19, 2013, 08:55:50 PM

It's a distinctly Japanese take on western history.

Right. Which is what makes it fun. Not necessarily that series in particular, (which I couldn't watch because of the gay clothes), but just the whole Japanese view gives us the chance to see ourselves from the outside. And notice how their cartoons discuss things like Plato and the nature of ideas. They have a real hunger for the supernatural. If only we had a new St. Francis Xavier to feed them.

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

totiusque

Quote from: Maximilian on October 18, 2013, 02:43:26 PM
Quote from: RealJayneK on October 18, 2013, 02:21:31 PM

I used to QL when it first aired and I liked it a lot.  But when I tried watching it recently, I kept noticing all the liberal themes in it and found it preachy and annoying. 
Being a trad has ruined TV for me. :D

I watched a few minutes of Quantum Leap many years ago, but I noticed right away that every episode was intended to teach some politically-correct lesson. The time travel was just an excuse for politically-correct preaching. Not entertaining.

There was a whole genre of this fake sci-fi at the time, with movies like "Pleasantville" where the excuse of time travel is just a way to teach lessons in political correctness.

Agreed, QL was one of my favorite shows back in the 1990s before my conversion, but yes, it was very preachy.  The episode with the gay serviceman was the worst one of the bunch.  I will say, though, Scott Bakula did a heckuva job as Sam Beckett.
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

Larry

I think I need to start watching Downton Abbey. And old Honeymooners reruns.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

piabee

I'm falling behind on everything already. Even Sleepy Hollow, which is probably the best new show of the fall. I don't like it quite as much as I liked (the somewhat similar) Grimm when that started, but it has good characters and it's going places.

Kaesekopf

Parks and Rec is on hiatus.

NBC sucks.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on October 20, 2013, 12:46:50 PM
Upstairs Downstairs

The original? I found the original on Youtube, and I love it! My favorites are Mr. Hudson, Rose, and Edward. And Lady Marjorie.  :-\
My Lord and my God.

zork

Catching up on HIMYM. About 10 episodes behind.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.