TV You're Watching

Started by piabee, August 02, 2013, 01:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piabee

Quote from: RealJayneK on October 14, 2013, 02:36:58 PM
I did take a look at it in its first season because I usually do like comic book adaptations but I didn't get into it for some reason.  I can't remember why.  Maybe I should give it another try.

It was slow-going at first. The whole thing was basically building up to Season 2, which should be good. The action and dry humor is great.

Jayne

Quote from: piabee on October 14, 2013, 02:53:11 PM
Quote from: RealJayneK on October 14, 2013, 02:36:58 PM
I did take a look at it in its first season because I usually do like comic book adaptations but I didn't get into it for some reason.  I can't remember why.  Maybe I should give it another try.

It was slow-going at first. The whole thing was basically building up to Season 2, which should be good. The action and dry humor is great.

Is there a lot of romance?  I prefer to avoid it.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

piabee

Quote from: RealJayneK on October 14, 2013, 03:35:49 PM
Is there a lot of romance?  I prefer to avoid it.

Sort of on and off.

piabee

More on Downton: [spoiler]I hope that publisher gets his German divorce and then Lady Edith dumps him.[/spoiler]

totiusque

Quote from: MilesChristi on October 14, 2013, 12:29:27 PM
just burned through Lost a couple of days ago

What'd you think?  It still ranks as my top TV series of all time.
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

totiusque

Quote from: piabee on October 14, 2013, 04:16:53 PM
More on Downton: [spoiler]I hope that publisher gets his German divorce and then Lady Edith dumps him.[/spoiler]

LOL.  [spoiler]With Lady Edith's luck, though, he'll probably end up meeting another woman or getting killed or something.  I don't think the show's creators like her very much.[/spoiler]
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

The Harlequin King

Getting back to Downton for a bit, I'd say it is necessarily one of those shows where the plot becomes exponentially more implausible each season, because if it didn't, then it wouldn't continue to be interesting. The problem is that the Crawleys live in a world which is mostly "real", as opposed to a sci-fi or fantasy where we can easily suspend our disbelief as necessary.

totiusque

Quote from: The Harlequin King on October 14, 2013, 07:25:16 PM
Getting back to Downton for a bit, I'd say it is necessarily one of those shows where the plot becomes exponentially more implausible each season, because if it didn't, then it wouldn't continue to be interesting. The problem is that the Crawleys live in a world which is mostly "real", as opposed to a sci-fi or fantasy where we can easily suspend our disbelief as necessary.

Perhaps, but if that's the case, they should have just agreed to do a set number of episodes and ended it on those terms.  Season 3 would have been a perfect end to a good show, and they could have done that with limited implausibilities.  Same goes for shows like Breaking Bad.  I'm glad they ended it when they did, because the show ended at the top of its game and didn't have to create new dilemmas to keep viewers interested.

I'm in favor of all shows writing 3-5 season story arcs and then ending them.  Lost probably got too carried away in its 6th season; 24 could have been better minus a couple of its seasons; OUAT is already getting tiring in its 3rd season, so I hope it's coming to a close.  Doing this would prevent the great shows from getting prematurely cancelled, and give audiences the satisfaction of closure.  It's better than playing the ridiculous 'ratings game', which I believe is flawed now that most people either stream their shows or watch it off their DVRs.
—St John of the Cross

Anastasia

On the Downton recent episode, I was so impressed with the way [spoiler]Mrs Hughes handles the whole Edna trying to sleep her way upstairs thing. She has this stuff down! Anna should have listened to her, though I'm sure the writers will find some way out of it. Of course, the best solution might be to go to Lady Mary and tell her the whole thing. Mary can then get Gillingham to fire his valet without a reference, ensuring that he'll spend the remainder of his days in the unemployment line.[/spoiler]
People talk vaguely about the innocence of a little child, but they take mighty good care not to let it out of their sight for twenty minutes.-Saki.
"Meanwhile, Fate was quietly slipping lead into the boxing glove. "
— P.G. Wodehouse

The Harlequin King

I agree. Downton's prime was in season 2, during the Great War. Season 3 should have tied up loose ends and called it quits.

Video game franchises are especially guilty of this in that everything has to be a 5-part series, but it's a little more forgivable considering the constantly evolving nature of the medium.

piabee

I liked episode 4. Finally some movement in the story.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Jayne

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on October 14, 2013, 06:08:24 AM
Star Trek Continues

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes/#.UlvebUYo7IU

Thanks for this.  I watched it after seeing your link.  I thought it was surprisingly well done. 

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: RealJayneK on October 16, 2013, 10:04:04 AM
Star Trek Continues

Thanks for this.  I watched it after seeing your link.  I thought it was surprisingly well done.

Yeah, reminds me alot of the original series. I wish they would do more full episodes.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Jayne

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on October 16, 2013, 10:41:30 AM
Quote from: RealJayneK on October 16, 2013, 10:04:04 AM
Star Trek Continues

Yeah, reminds me alot of the original series. I wish they would do more full episodes.

I did not expect them to manage so well to get the feel of the original.  It looks like it takes them a while to produce one of these so it will be a while until they have more, I suspect.