TV You're Watching

Started by piabee, August 02, 2013, 01:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archer

Rewatching White Collar.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

aquinas138

Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 08, 2015, 01:28:18 PM
Quote from: aquinas138 on July 08, 2015, 01:11:38 PM
Watched the Daredevil series on Netflix. I enjoyed it quite a bit; it's pretty violent, but less bad language than I would have thought. The superhero element is a little down-played, as Matt Murdock gets it handed to him regularly. Vincent D'Onofrio is great as Wilson Fisk.

I had to fight the urge to binge watch that show soooo hard. 

It is very violent, yes, but I could mostly deal with that (well, except the third episode and then that Russian incident). 

I think Murdock getting whooped adds to the character. 

But, someone made a funny point on Reddit recently about the show (about how he tends to his wounds a lot and stuff) that I enjoy:
That's part of the point of his character, especially in this version.  Its [sic] all about suffering for him, he's a proper Catholic.

I really enjoy the pretty fair treatment the Church gets, and his Catholicness gets.

Yes, I think the Catholic side of it gets a really good shake; the priest is a good character, too. I liked their conversation about the Devil. I really hope that the Catholic aspect of the Punisher is explored next season as well; the way Catholicism rears its head in the Punisher books was always interesting given his methods.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Jacob

Quote from: aquinas138 on July 08, 2015, 02:34:33 PM
Yes, I think the Catholic side of it gets a really good shake; the priest is a good character, too. I liked their conversation about the Devil. I really hope that the Catholic aspect of the Punisher is explored next season as well; the way Catholicism rears its head in the Punisher books was always interesting given his methods.
I don't watch the series.  But I would be interested in knowing this as well.  Especially if they address the Punisher's time in seminary.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

piabee

Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 08, 2015, 01:36:34 PM
TIL how much Piabee loves the XFiles

TIL what TIL stands for.

LausTibiChriste

ITT: smh because someone has to ELI5 Reddit acronyms
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Kaesekopf

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on July 08, 2015, 04:51:32 PM
ITT: smh because someone has to ELI5 Reddit acronyms

DAE feel left out?

IAmA forum admin, post questions below.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

LausTibiChriste

Why won't you bring back Victoria?

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Kaesekopf

You are now banned from /r/paoyanyang

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 08, 2015, 09:10:32 PM

shadow banned or banned banned?

- MaximGun

Kaesekopf

:lol:

Arun

is there anywhere to stream full length episodes of that Br John or whatever it's called from EWTN?

kids have been watching heaps of Masha and the Bear now; thanks Greg hahaha.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

MilesChristi

Burned through House of Cards
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Clare

Been watching DVDs of Hancock's Half Hour, Doctor Who, and Blake's 7 lately.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Arun

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on July 09, 2015, 09:05:00 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 08, 2015, 09:10:32 PM

shadow banned or banned banned?

it's alright just log into TOR and i'll sell you a new account

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih