TV You're Watching

Started by piabee, August 02, 2013, 01:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archer

Quote from: The Harlequin King on April 09, 2014, 02:57:41 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on April 09, 2014, 02:21:45 PM
Quote from: The Harlequin King on April 09, 2014, 10:01:17 AM
I saw the first episode of Turn, a drama on AMC about a spy ring during the American Revolutionary War. I enjoyed it, though not everyone will.

Why is that?

A lot of reviewers have been complaining about how, hmm, conventional it is; evil redcoats, virtuous rural patriots, that sort of thing. I think that a.) we've been spoiled by modern television and expect serious shows to all have the grittiness of Breaking Bad or the lavish costume and set budget of Game of Thrones/the size of George R.R. Martin's waistline. And b.) the show might be considered boring to those who aren't already interested in American Revolutionary War history because of its pace and subject matter.

Is it clean?
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

The Harlequin King

Archer: the pilot had no nudity and relatively light gore/onscreen violence for a war drama.

red solo cup

Top of the Lake with Elizabeth Moss.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Archer

Quote from: The Harlequin King on April 09, 2014, 03:01:32 PM
Archer: the pilot had no nudity and relatively light gore/onscreen violence for a war drama.

Ok good to know.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Der Kaiser

Turn, Game of Thrones, Ghost Hunters and Chopped. Thats about all I watch nowdays
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

Lynne

The Deadliest Catch

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

dymphna17

Quote from: Der Kaiser on April 12, 2014, 05:11:18 PM
Turn, Game of Thrones, Ghost Hunters and Chopped. Thats about all I watch nowdays

I love Chopped!  Now I'm getting into Iron Chef America and Cupcake Wars.  Can anyone say Food Network addict?   :lol:
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Maximilian

Turn, Game of Thrones, Ghost Hunters and Chopped.

"Chopped" -- that's one of our favorites.

zork

Just started Walking Dead Season 3. Mad Men Season 7 premiere is primed to be DVR'd tomorrow.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Maximilian

Quote from: dymphna17 on April 12, 2014, 08:15:21 PM

I love Chopped!  Now I'm getting into Iron Chef America and Cupcake Wars. 

Oh yes, Iron Chef too. Have you watched the original "Iron Chef" from Japan?

dymphna17

Quote from: Maximilian on April 12, 2014, 08:24:54 PM

Yes, I've seen a couple of them.  It seemed to be much more intense than the America one.  Very interesting.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

The Harlequin King

I've continued watching Turn, and can say now, 5 episodes in, that this is probably the best series running on television right now. Started slow, but it's gotten better with every episode. As an additional note, while I'm certainly not proclaiming it as a fount of historic accuracy, this show also features the most realistic and believeable portrayal of General Washington I've ever seen. Our portraits have an unfortunate habit of rendering him as a passive, distant, or grandfatherly/geriatric old man. Turn's Washington is undoubtedly a warrior, a stern disciplinarian when needed, and has the bearing of an aristocrat.

erin is nice

Quote from: Maximilian on April 12, 2014, 08:24:54 PM

The original Iron Chef is the best. The American version doesn't even come close.

I love Chopped, too.

Chestertonian

Breaking Bad.  I think my wife and I are the last people to get into it.
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

piabee

Quote from: The Harlequin King on May 15, 2014, 10:51:27 AM
I've continued watching Turn, and can say now, 5 episodes in, that this is probably the best series running on television right now. Started slow, but it's gotten better with every episode. As an additional note, while I'm certainly not proclaiming it as a fount of historic accuracy, this show also features the most realistic and believeable portrayal of General Washington I've ever seen. Our portraits have an unfortunate habit of rendering him as a passive, distant, or grandfatherly/geriatric old man. Turn's Washington is undoubtedly a warrior, a stern disciplinarian when needed, and has the bearing of an aristocrat.

You need to watch Sleepy Hollow. Completely different type of show, but lots of fun. Turn records every week on my parents' DVR but I just haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe I do less laundry than I used to?