Racism as a Sin?

Started by trentcath, June 24, 2020, 05:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tales

QuoteDavis, do you have a view on what the police did to Dr. Li Wen Liang? I think Chinese Doctor Li Wen Liang was heroic and tried to warn the world about the virus. But it is difficult to see why the police persecuted him if they were acting reasonably and in good faith. All he did was send a message warning his other Doctor friends to be careful. Yet, he was threatened with legal punitive measures. Also, do you believe the CCP (and the WHO, as well) played no part in denying the possibility of human-to-human transmission of the virus long after it must have been clearly evident to them that such transmission was in fact possible and actually took place? I have a hard time believing that.

God Bless.

Xavier, who despite likely having great distaste for the Chinese government, is through the strength of his character none the less able to have a cordial and rational conversation on the matter.  He continues to set a good example.

The Chinese government has laws against rumor spreading.  From my current understanding of ancient Chinese culture, they seem to have for a long time placed high value on harmony.  Putting a value such as social harmony high on the list of priorities will thus have various consequences.  One such consequence of this is perhaps as you cited.  Taking random numbers out of the air, for every 9 fake rumors punished, 1 real data point is misidentified as a false rumor and punished.

Related to this all is the question of China's role in preventing the pandemic.  I am not sure what else China should have done that they did not do.  When a new virus comes into existence, unless it is visually shockingly deadly like ebola, then its surprisingly challenging to know that anything at all is wrong.  Even today I would hazard a guess that around 80% of our friends here on SD do not think Covid19 is dangerous at all.  If after 7 months of Covid19 we cannot make sense of it, how are the Chinese supposed to figure it out in just a couple weeks' time? 

I recall a couple documentaries of mystery illnesses in small rural American towns.  Different stories but similar enough - over the course of many months, locals come to the doctor with similar unusual and severe symptoms.  Nothing in their bodies showed as being wrong but they were clearly very unwell.  Should the government have shut the city or state down and banned travel?  Or contacted the WHO?  I would say no.  There's clearly something wrong but at that point who knows what is causing it.  Further investigation and time is required to make sense of new and confusing situations.  I am sure during that time different people had all different sorts of explanations for the cause - were any to declare it an infectious new virus should they thus have sent the country into a panic over this assumption?

When something new and mysterious is afoot it can be very challenging to understand it, as we see today even 7 months into Covid19.  The virus remains very mysterious.

I also note we should separate the actors in the case involving the good doctor (R.I.P.).  He was arrested by local police who were following state laws against spreading rumors.  Even though the good doctor was ultimately correct, at that early point in time it isn't hard to imagine that the police would be concerned that he was spreading false rumors that might invoke a panic (and thus disrupt social harmony).  It was only a few weeks thereafter that higher levels of Chinese government were warning the world, their national universities were publishing papers on it, releasing the full genetic code, and so on so forth.  China continued to warn the world of what was going on in Wuhan.  I remember I personally began taking serious precaution on Jan 24 (the Friday before CNY began).  The rest of the world, despite seeing the same news out of Wuhan that I saw, took preventative measures far later.  So if the rest of the world cannot see it despite having far more data & time to observe, I do not see why I should fault the Chinese for struggling and initially fumbling in their handling of a novel virus.

Who knows if real or not, but ABC News reports that the US Intelligence agencies were warning of a contagion sweeping through Wuhan back in November 2019.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/intelligence-report-warned-coronavirus-crisis-early-november-sources/story?id=70031273

If true then the US knew about it months in advance and did nothing.

Also in October 2019 there was a massive Military World Games held in Wuhan (this is like global Olympics but for military personnel).  The French athletes returned back to France very ill.  Was the virus perhaps already spreading through Wuhan at that time, if so, why did the French military not detect it?

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3932712

My point is not to say "ah ha, the Americans & French screwed up" but rather to point out that it is surprisingly difficult, even with all our fancy scientific equipment, to make sense of what is going on, especially so early on in a novel crisis.

Returning back to the mysterious illnesses in the rural American towns, one turned out to be a gas leak and the other was from thyroid glands mixed into the local minced beef.  It takes time to figure out what causes mysterious widespread illness and at least in those two cases, one was pollution, the other contamination, and neither were contagious disease despite what I suspect many were concerned it to be.  Given the air pollution in China, it is not hard to imagine many thought it was pollution.

God bless.

trentcath

Quote from: Davis Blank - EG on July 10, 2020, 03:12:41 PM
trencath,

Quoteyour point about the PRC being such an amazing place

Quotewhilst claiming the PRC is a paradise

I never said nor insinuated either.  Defending a country or people from falsehoods stated does not thus mean said person believes that place is amazing.  I will wait patiently for your retraction and apology. 

Separately, that I live in Hong Kong has only been mentioned by me tens of times over the past year or two.

May I suggest to some of you that you put in more effort into attempting to understand the idea your interlocutor is attempting to convey.  Mikemac sees it, Jayne sees it, Vetus sees it.  It is rather simple.  People put out various accusations against China.  When I believe they are wrong I make an argument against it.

We will wait patiently for a substantive response to the points made above rather than an attempt to brush it aside by playing victim  ;D

I have no idea what other people do or do not see and frankly I care very little. It is quite clear that China is a repressive State which championed (and from what I have seen still does to a slightly lesser state) mass compulsory abortion, has zero concept of human rights and does not even let Catholics (or almost anyone else for that matter) practice their faith in peace. In that concept it is hardly surprising that HK's are unhappy, your attempt to mindread and claim that most HK's are secretly (and unknown to themselves) actually angry about a high cost of living (when actually many people in HK are descendants of those who fled from the cultural revolution) is delusional nonsense as far I am concerned.

Quite why you are obsessed about defending China when you live in HK and benefit from its unique status (soon to be reduced one assumes) is anyones guess  :shrug:

trentcath

Quote from: Davis Blank - EG on July 10, 2020, 04:06:02 PM

Xavier, who despite likely having great distaste for the Chinese government, is through the strength of his character none the less able to have a cordial and rational conversation on the matter.  He continues to set a good example.

The Chinese government has laws against rumor spreading.  From my current understanding of ancient Chinese culture, they seem to have for a long time placed high value on harmony.  Putting a value such as social harmony high on the list of priorities will thus have various consequences.  One such consequence of this is perhaps as you cited.  Taking random numbers out of the air, for every 9 fake rumors punished, 1 real data point is misidentified as a false rumor and punished.

This is why people think you are a pro CCP troll. Ignoring your dig at me and others, it is full of disingenous nonsense.

Is banning millions of social media accounts and having mass filters on all forms of electronic communication plus banning facebook, google etc... "misidentifying and punishing false rumours"? Or is it rather indicative of a desire to control everything? What about the social credit system? That isn't Orwellian at all I suppose? It is very odd that the CCP murdered 60 million of its own people due to famines and destroyed all forms of Chinese culture via the crusade against the "four olds" when they place such a high value on harmony isn't it? All those human rights lawyers that get systematically tortured, is that also a result of "social harmony"? Or is it rather the result of government intent on keeping control over every aspect of its citizens lives? The repeated destruction of christian churches and systematic persecution of Christians (plus the discrimination in favour of those who are members of the atheistic communist party) is that also a happy result of the premium "Chinese" culture places on social harmony? What about the repeated threats to invade Taiwan if it dares declare independence? Or the mass exodus of millions of Chinese from the PRC to HK in the cultural revolution? Are these actions also the result of a desire for harmony?

Your posts are exactly the sort of ludicrous nonsense one expects to read in the comments section of the SCMP or other asian media that are written by paid chinese trolls. See https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/18/tech/china-uyghurs-internet-trolls-facebook-intl/index.html

https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/06/17/how-to-spot-a-state-funded-chinese-internet-troll/

https://foreignpolicy.com/2016/05/19/meet-the-chinese-internet-trolls-pumping-488-million-posts-harvard-stanford-ucsd-research/

Whether you actually are a pro-CCP troll or merely act like one I do not know, but engage in intelligent debate you do not.

trentcath

Quote from: mikemac on July 10, 2020, 02:19:16 PM
Quote from: trentcath on July 10, 2020, 01:40:31 PM
Quote from: mikemac on July 10, 2020, 01:20:08 PM
Quote from: TradGranny on July 10, 2020, 01:00:42 PM
Quote from: trentcath on July 10, 2020, 06:43:42 AM
Very curious to hear that you are attending a "TLM of faithful catholics" but unfortunately that doesn't answer the question, is it a state recognised or an underground church? Assuming you are living in the PRC and not HK or Macau it can only be either state recognised or underground. If the former its schismatic/borderline heretical and if the latter you seriously undermine your point about the PRC being such an amazing place...

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. As you point out, this apologist for Communist oppression of the Chinese is either:
1. a member of the oppressive psuedo-"Catholic church" run by the Communists or
2. a member of the persecuted underground Catholic Church.

The reason I refer to the Communist-approved fake Catholic church as oppressive is that if you read any books written by Catholics imprisoned in Communist China for their Catholic faith (like Joy in Suffering by Rose Yu) you learn that fake priests and fake nuns are sent in by their Communist masters to try to get those in Communist slave labor camps to recant their Catholic faith and join the so-called "Patriotic" (that is, Communist) fake Catholic Church.

I believe Davis previously said that he attends the TLM at Mary Help of Christians Parish in Kowloon, Hong Kong.

https://www.latinmassdir.org/venue/mary-help-of-christians-parish-ma-tau-wai/

https://tridentine.catholic.org.hk/

I see Davis as posting facts, not pro CCP, but pro Chinese.  My problem with this situation is the extreme real estate prices in Canada, caused from laundered money by Hong Kong Chinese.  I hope the CCP does extradite the money launderers from Hong Kong.  If they do then young Canadians may eventually be able to afford a home in Canada.  Because as it stands right now a high majority of young Canadians have given up hope of ever being able to buy a home in Canada.

Thanks. So, whilst claiming the PRC is a paradise he actually lives off the few remaining freedoms HK has?  :huh: :rofl:

FYI, actual Hong Kongers would not at all be surprised that an expat who can easily jet off to safety after raking in $$$ in HK doesn't give a toss about their freedoms.

Also re home prices, this will never happen lol. Rich Chinese will always invest their money abroad because whilst their wealth will never be safe in China (as the state can seize it at any moment) it is safe abroad, this applies even to those that are pro-CCP. The issue is not then money launders so much as Canada's immigration laws (as there will always be an endless supply of Rich Chinese with money to invest). That said, there are plenty of places in Canada with affordable housing, just not in major cities. I think that is pretty much the same anywhere in the West or, to an extent, in the world...

No, not just in major cities.  I live just about two hours north east of Toronto.  About three or four years ago I asked a local real estate agent how a young family is suppose to buy a home around here.  He said well they can't, they'd have to move north to find a home they could afford.  So locals have to move out to make room for newcomers.  This has been going on for quite a while.  Chinese money launderers buy an over priced home in Toronto, those that sold it basically just won the lottery and move out of Toronto where the local real estate agents are putting prices up because they know that anyone that is buying a home in the area now comes from Toronto, where they just won the real estate lottery.  This has been happening for years now.  Both Chinese money launderers and Canada's stupid immigration laws are causing the problem.

If you say so, I am not sure that is actually money laundering as opposed to investment though? In any event I would blame the immigration laws rather than "Chinese money launders", particularly as foreigners pushing up local prices happens throughout the world with numerous nationalities (in London it is Arabs and Russians rather than Chinese).

Miriam_M

I for one am not very interested in stirring up outrage about the geographical origin of the virus.  I.m.o., the U.S. medical system and its passive cooperators in the government are far more responsible for U.S. deaths due to the effects of destroyed businesses and probably hundreds of suicides from unnatural, prolonged isolation -- not to mention non-Covid medical cases that were left untreated because of artificial hysteria over a novel virus.

That said, the fact that viruses have been "jumping" animals to humans because of what some consider the perverse eating habits of some cultures, and the danger that poses to the globe (because of travel and trade) is a by-product of globalization.  And globalization in turn is the product of both good and bad motivations that work both East and West, in dynamic.

However, Americans as one category, believers as another, freedom-lovers as another, lovers of history as another, opponents of One World Government as another, all have reason to despise activities and attitudes of the Maoist revolution and those now bearing his standard, which is the official government of the PRC, regardless of any private dissent and emigration of its citizens.  IOW, it is the offenses listed in Replies 376 and 377 that are sufficient, even if Covid originated in England and the Chinese were blameless victims.

There are plenty of people in the West -- not just businesses and government officials, but ordinary citizens -- who have been advocating that we become "just like China."  China's influence is obvious to me in the mania for masks, and that influence has actually been cited by some as a justification for adopting mask-wearing indefinitely. (Literally, "because the Chinese do it.")  Never mind the actual facts, by the way, which includes the fact that some cities in China are so polluted that mask-wearing is almost essential if you value your life.  They haven't for many years been wearing masks because of fear of viruses but because of some of the worst policy decisions a country of that size could make -- decisions which have endangered the health of millions of their inhabitants.

Regardless of America's faults, we deserve to keep something of our cultural integrity without the double hammer of the internal Cancelers of Culture & History and the exaggerated value put on materialism and "progress" that the Chinese export to the States.  It was my version of dystopia long before Corona. Many of the Chinese emigres who have come here have achieved positions of power in K-12 education, not just in higher education, and through those positions they are actively trying to re-shape Western institutions and to destroy what remains of our traditions -- for example, in abolishing certain curricula, changing admission standards throughout private education, etc.

dellery

Davis' style of posting, in a nutshell:

"Everything is the perverted West's fault. Western colonialism was an atrocity. The West is all Protestant.

Now let me bloviate at length, giving you a different, thought provoking, perspective on why the Chinese Communist Party isn't all that bad."

Funny how his "interesting and unique perspectives" only relate to China, while he blankets the West with abuse and vague generalizations.
Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.

Graham

Quote from: trentcath on July 10, 2020, 05:57:05 PM
Very curious to hear that you are attending a "TLM of faithful catholics" but unfortunately that doesn't answer the question, is it a state recognised or an underground church? Assuming you are living in the PRC and not HK or Macau it can only be either state recognised or underground. If the former its schismatic/borderline heretical and if the latter you seriously undermine your point about the PRC being such an amazing place...

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. As you point out, this apologist for Communist oppression of the Chinese is either:

The reason I refer to the Communist-approved fake Catholic church as oppressive is that if you read any books written by Catholics imprisoned in Communist China for their Catholic faith (like Joy in Suffering by Rose Yu) you learn that fake priests and fake nuns are sent in by their Communist masters to try to get those in Communist slave labor camps to recant their Catholic faith and join the so-called "Patriotic" (that is, Communist) fake Catholic Church.

I believe Davis previously said that he attends the TLM at Mary Help of Christians Parish in Kowloon, Hong Kong.

I see Davis as posting facts, not pro CCP, but pro Chinese.  My problem with this situation is the extreme real estate prices in Canada, caused from laundered money by Hong Kong Chinese.  I hope the CCP does extradite the money launderers from Hong Kong.  If they do then young Canadians may eventually be able to afford a home in Canada.  Because as it stands right now a high majority of young Canadians have given up hope of ever being able to buy a home in Canada.

Thanks. So, whilst claiming the PRC is a paradise he actually lives off the few remaining freedoms HK has?  :huh: :rofl:

FYI, actual Hong Kongers would not at all be surprised that an expat who can easily jet off to safety after raking in $$$ in HK doesn't give a toss about their freedoms.

Also re home prices, this will never happen lol. Rich Chinese will always invest their money abroad because whilst their wealth will never be safe in China (as the state can seize it at any moment) it is safe abroad, this applies even to those that are pro-CCP. The issue is not then money launders so much as Canada's immigration laws (as there will always be an endless supply of Rich Chinese with money to invest). That said, there are plenty of places in Canada with affordable housing, just not in major cities. I think that is pretty much the same anywhere in the West or, to an extent, in the world...

No, not just in major cities.  I live just about two hours north east of Toronto.  About three or four years ago I asked a local real estate agent how a young family is suppose to buy a home around here.  He said well they can't, they'd have to move north to find a home they could afford.  So locals have to move out to make room for newcomers.  This has been going on for quite a while.  Chinese money launderers buy an over priced home in Toronto, those that sold it basically just won the lottery and move out of Toronto where the local real estate agents are putting prices up because they know that anyone that is buying a home in the area now comes from Toronto, where they just won the real estate lottery.  This has been happening for years now.  Both Chinese money launderers and Canada's stupid immigration laws are causing the problem.

If you say so, I am not sure that is actually money laundering as opposed to investment though? In any event I would blame the immigration laws rather than "Chinese money launders", particularly as foreigners pushing up local prices happens throughout the world with numerous nationalities (in London it is Arabs and Russians rather than Chinese).

There are major failings with both our immigration system and our system for foreign real estate investment. These are connected to problems with money laundering and drug running. Mikemac may not be distinguishing the first issues from the second very carefully, but generally speaking he's correct that some East Asians are exploiting Canadian real estate investment for money laundering purposes, and this does impact the housing market. The RCMP is fully aware of this and coordinates with Australian intelligence (where similar exploitation occurs) to investigate it. See this story: https://globalnews.ca/news/4149818/vancouver-cautionary-tale-money-laundering-drugs/

trentcath

Quote from: Graham on July 10, 2020, 07:48:08 PM
Quote from: trentcath on July 10, 2020, 05:57:05 PM

There are major failings with both our immigration system and our system for foreign real estate investment. These are connected to problems with money laundering and drug running. Mikemac may not be distinguishing the first issues from the second very carefully, but generally speaking he's correct that some East Asians are exploiting Canadian real estate investment for money laundering purposes, and this does impact the housing market. The RCMP is fully aware of this and coordinates with Australian intelligence (where similar exploitation occurs) to investigate it. See this story: https://globalnews.ca/news/4149818/vancouver-cautionary-tale-money-laundering-drugs/

This may well be true, but again, even legitimate investment en masse causes an issue. Hence immigration rules are the issue.

Graham

Quote from: trentcath on July 10, 2020, 08:01:53 PM
QuoteThere are major failings with both our immigration system and our system for foreign real estate investment. These are connected to problems with money laundering and drug running. Mikemac may not be distinguishing the first issues from the second very carefully, but generally speaking he's correct that some East Asians are exploiting Canadian real estate investment for money laundering purposes, and this does impact the housing market. The RCMP is fully aware of this and coordinates with Australian intelligence (where similar exploitation occurs) to investigate it. See this story: https://globalnews.ca/news/4149818/vancouver-cautionary-tale-money-laundering-drugs/

This may well be true, but again, even legitimate investment en masse causes an issue. Hence immigration rules are the issue.

Correction, it is certainly true, so next time you can skip putting scare quotes around the phrase Chinese money launderers.

How do you imagine you gear up popular opposition to Chinese FDI and immigration? It helps to acknowledge that a good chunk of it is dirty money and straight up exploitation

trentcath

Quote from: Graham on July 10, 2020, 08:50:41 PM
QuoteThere are major failings with both our immigration system and our system for foreign real estate investment. These are connected to problems with money laundering and drug running. Mikemac may not be distinguishing the first issues from the second very carefully, but generally speaking he's correct that some East Asians are exploiting Canadian real estate investment for money laundering purposes, and this does impact the housing market. The RCMP is fully aware of this and coordinates with Australian intelligence (where similar exploitation occurs) to investigate it. See this story: https://globalnews.ca/news/4149818/vancouver-cautionary-tale-money-laundering-drugs/

Correction, it is certainly true, so next time you can skip putting scare quotes around the phrase Chinese money launderers.

How do you imagine you gear up popular opposition to Chinese FDI and immigration? It helps to acknowledge that a good chunk of it is dirty money and straight up exploitation

::)

I'm not gonna derail this thread any further, but you go on with your crusade  ;D

Graham

Quote from: trentcath on July 10, 2020, 09:07:43 PM

I'm not gonna derail this thread any further, but you go on with your crusade  ;D

just trying to inform you, but it seems hopeless

trentcath

Quote from: Graham on July 10, 2020, 09:23:46 PM
Quote from: trentcath on July 10, 2020, 09:07:43 PM

just trying to inform you, but it seems hopeless

:huh:

I thank you for your wisdom without which I, fool that I am, would be utterly lost  ;D

Seriously though, I do not think complaints about money laundering will solve the issue. Restrictions on immigration and to a lesser extent FDI might. I also don't really care and am only really engaging with this because I like arguing the toss  :laugh:

Greg

I have been to China, Hong Kong and Macau.  I have also watched a lot of videos from foreign expats with Chinese wives working in China and Hong Kong.  They have typically lived in China for over a decade and left and only spoken their mind when they were free of the place and not subject to abuses, arrest or retribution from the Chinese government.

CCP are bad actors and need extermination.  They combine the worst murdering marxist traits with those of money junkie pagans.  China has no effective rule of law.  By supporting it the west has financed a Frankenstein state which may very well turn on its creator.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Xavier

I find the Edge of Wonder take on "Communism as the Deep State Cult" quite convincing. Communism has caused untold suffering in many countries, in Russia, in China and North Korea and elsewhere. All the Words of Our Lady about it in Fatima have come true. I hope all the people of the world can unite and defeat it once and for all.

Edit: this is Tucker Carlson, recounting the testimony of another Chinese Doctor, a Virologist:

Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Greg

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.