Catholic places to live

Started by Tennessean, January 11, 2021, 11:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessean

What are some traditional parishes with a good balance of elders and youth, near the coasts or Mississippi? By coasts, I mean Florida, Texas, and Maine. I'm not interested in working out of Seattle or San Diego. I need to know, because unless I learn I'm a terrorist, the coast guard should be approving my application for merchant mariner credentials, and I'll need to live close to my work.

Maximilian

Houston has some very strong traditional Catholic communities.

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Tennessean on January 11, 2021, 11:32:35 PM
What are some traditional parishes with a good balance of elders and youth, near the coasts or Mississippi? By coasts, I mean Florida, Texas, and Maine. I'm not interested in working out of Seattle or San Diego. I need to know, because unless I learn I'm a terrorist, the coast guard should be approving my application for merchant mariner credentials, and I'll need to live close to my work.
What do you mean by "Catholic"? Novus Ordo or Trad?
Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

Tennessean

:huh: This is a traditional catholic forum.

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Tennessean on January 13, 2021, 12:15:48 PM

I am of the belief that if you attend the Novus Ordo, then you are not a trad. Some people vehemently disagree with that statement.
Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

Tennessean

Quote from: GiftOfGod on January 13, 2021, 07:57:46 PM

I am of the belief that if you attend the Novus Ordo, then you are not a trad. Some people vehemently disagree with that statement.
Do you know any TLM hotbeds along the coasts or Mississippi? I'd appreciate it, because this will help me choose which companies to apply.

martin88nyc

Warsaw, Poznan, Krakow, Katowice, Lodz, Bialystok and a couple more polish cities.  ;D
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Heinrich

Quote from: Tennessean on January 14, 2021, 08:51:56 AM

Do you know any TLM hotbeds along the coasts or Mississippi? I'd appreciate it, because this will help me choose which companies to apply.

Doesn't Mobile have a solid TLM community?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

moneil

I realize you excluded Seattle, but for the sake of information, the FSSP has parishes in Tacoma (St. Joseph's) and Edmonds (just north of Seattle - North American Martyrs).  The SSPX has a chapel in Edmonds.  There are TLM's offered by priests of the Archdiocese of Seattle but I don't know if any are close to the Seattle or Tacoma ports.  There are independent traditional chapels in the area, including the CMRI in Tacoma.

Philip G.

Do you not have anything better do to?  This is not a sedevacantist forum.  Tradition does not exclude attendance at the novus ordo.  "Where I am, there also shall my minister be".  It is not the other way around. 
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Michael Wilson

Near the East Coast: Sanford, Florida has a growing SSPX chapel.
Near the Mississippi and close to Cincinatti, Oh. Is Our Lady of the Assumption in Walton, Ky. Also growing very rapidly.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Heinrich

Quote from: Michael Wilson on January 15, 2021, 05:19:31 PM
Near the East Coast: Sanford, Florida has a growing SSPX chapel.
Near the Mississippi and close to Cincinatti, Oh. Is Our Lady of the Assumption in Walton, Ky. Also growing very rapidly.

What do you mean near the Mighty Miss? Our daughter lives west of her and it is five hours to cross over at Wickliffe, KY/Cairo, Il(shudder, Illinois). In regards to Walton, grand community there near Cincinnati. You'll have to come visit, good Michael.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Michael Wilson

Sorry about that! I thought that the Miss ran by Cinci; of course its the Ohio! My bad.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

james03

The primo place is that SSPX chapel on the Gulf Coast of Texas.  Galveston county, south east of Houston.  Pretty near to Texas City and not far from Galveston. The people there are Texans.  They also have a school if you have or will have kids that stayed open during COVID and didn't muzzle up.  There at least one Coast Guard station nearby.  Sounds like what you are looking for.

Sanford Florida is growing, but that is away from the coast and near Orlando.  The FSSP has chapels just east of Naples and along the west coast of Florida: Ft. Myers and Venice I believe.  No schools.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

james03

When you say Mississippi, do you mean on the Mississippi river?  St. Louis used to have a great ICKSP community.  Don't know about them recently.  Good homeschooling support in that area.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"