Age boys need to leave

Started by Heinrich, January 07, 2019, 12:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archer

Quote from: The Harlequin King on January 14, 2019, 12:43:23 PM
Marrying young is probably fine if the kids all have happily married Catholic parents and grew up in loving, devout, fully functional households--and I'm sure that's primarily what you had in mind.

To be honest, I'm skeptical of this now. I think it is completely dependent on maturity - not age.
A family member got married young to another trad.
First real love, "this is it."
Was even encouraged by her parents, who ignored the warnings of the rest of the family. I won't say too much more. To the rest of the Catholic world they have a good marriage. To the family who know details she has, and will continue, to struggle mightily.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Archer on January 14, 2019, 02:02:44 PM
To be honest, I'm skeptical of this now. I think it is completely dependent on maturity - not age.

Well, yes. I'm skeptical of a great many things now. Some people don't have their heads on straight even at 40+.

My point was mostly that there are plenty of reasons why marriages even between two young trads can be a total trainwreck waiting to happen. A big one is, I think, being converts or otherwise growing up in a broken family. The ability to know what every ecumenical council said about this-or-that heresy just can't magically undo 20+ years of bad examples at home.

dymphnaw

[/quote]  Do you really want to go there?  The treatment of Incas by Spanish settlers was far worse.  We even have that Saint who worked in Colombia trying to help out the slaves there.

One place Catholics can brag is in Canada where French treatment of the heathen was far better than the English.  But South America was a catastrophe.
[/quote]

I'm not so sure about that. I read Canadian news and sites and the First Nations don't seem to happy to me and the uncensored comments of Canadians seem to be anywhere from outright hostile to Indians to being merely annoyed whenever an Indian appears on TV.

The Curt Jester

If there is no reason to depart, then stay at home. Moving out to stay in the same location is a waste of money that could be better spent. I moved out when I got a job out of town, but previously, when I worked local jobs, I stayed with my family.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Archer

Quote from: The Harlequin King on January 14, 2019, 03:32:36 PM

Well, yes. I'm skeptical of a great many things now. Some people don't have their heads on straight even at 40+.

My point was mostly that there are plenty of reasons why marriages even between two young trads can be a total trainwreck waiting to happen. A big one is, I think, being converts or otherwise growing up in a broken family. The ability to know what every ecumenical council said about this-or-that heresy just can't magically undo 20+ years of bad examples at home.

....Or 20+ years of immaturity, or ignorance, or naivety, or stupidity.
Never mind debt, career selection, or general laziness. The fact that you share Tradition is not a magic wand to a successful marriage.

Although it certainly can help. It's so important for Catholic parents to live their vocation, and eliminate the distractions outside of their control. Focus on raising Catholic Saints.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Archer on January 15, 2019, 08:33:45 AM
Quote from: The Harlequin King on January 14, 2019, 03:32:36 PM

....Or 20+ years of immaturity, or ignorance, or naivety, or stupidity.
Never mind debt, career selection, or general laziness. The fact that you share Tradition is not a magic wand to a successful marriage.

Although it certainly can help. It's so important for Catholic parents to live their vocation, and eliminate the distractions outside of their control. Focus on raising Catholic Saints.

This always sounds so much easier than it actually is  ;D

Archer

Don't I know it.
Our 2 year old kicked my butt yesterday. I was not a shining example of patience.  :doh:

Gardener

Quote from: Archer on January 15, 2019, 01:06:58 PM
Don't I know it.
Our 2 year old kicked my butt yesterday. I was not a shining example of patience.  :doh:

Try my "drunken exchange student midget" method of parenting.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

MundaCorMeum

Don't I know it.

ALL of mine are kicking my butt today!  I won't tell you how many times I lost my temper.  Thank goodness the 10 year old had an orthodontist appt this afternoon, and we needed an oil change.  I might've had to just up and leave without an excuse  :crazy:

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Gardener on January 15, 2019, 01:09:48 PM
Don't I know it.

Try my "drunken exchange student midget" method of parenting.

This always sounds so much easier than it actually is  ;D

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe