Christian nail art

Started by angelcookie, June 26, 2014, 05:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelcookie

I guess it does remind me of low rider magazine huh.... Oh well, I'd do one left hand ring finger nail with a religious pic :) I said I was looking for a crystal cross :) No one likes nail polish or stuff here? I'm itching to get my nails done again since home manicures only last 5 days. A nice short square french or med oval taupe.....
Does anyone like hair? When I am feeling like having fun I keep trying to style my hair half up half down victory rolls. I keep trying to french braid my own hair but it can get wonky. About this length- lower back- and when babies pull it out-  I get the urge to chop it all off or go crazy with layers. Right now my everyday do is basically natural beach wave curly, or pony tail. I don't feel like straightening it!

My tattoo is a morning glory- I recently found it means Our Lady's Mantle courtesy of FE Mary Gardens page. It sure doesn't look pretty anymore though. I am so glad I never got anymore!

Penelope

I like nail polish, angelcookie. I just got a manicure and pedicure with my sister because I knew it would be the last time I'd be able to go out and do something for myself for a while; plus, I can't really reach my own toes to paint the nails myself anymore. Such is life in the third trimester, I suppose.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Arun on June 27, 2014, 02:58:22 PM
the concept seems okay but the pictures they used don't seem right. i think it would suit some of the religious images produced in the "lowrider arte" style.
i get what people are saying about holy images on the hands if your going to get your hands dirty but then again coptics, a lot of older croatian Catholics and many other devout and pious souls have holy tattoos on their hands.

i've got a little green ink cross right on my finger tip, from the second knuckle down to the fingernail.

It's also the temporary and disposable aspect of it.  It's going to get dirty, it's going to chip off -- and eventually, you're going to have to remove what's left of it.

Though I will say, tattoos give me the heebie jeebies.  I won't say they're a sin -- I'm not high enough up the Catholic food chain for that -- but I do find them repulsive, personally.  It's probably an extension of my complete disgust/horror/fear involving needles.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Arun

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on June 28, 2014, 01:54:34 AM
the concept seems okay but the pictures they used don't seem right. i think it would suit some of the religious images produced in the "lowrider arte" style.
i get what people are saying about holy images on the hands if your going to get your hands dirty but then again coptics, a lot of older croatian Catholics and many other devout and pious souls have holy tattoos on their hands.

i've got a little green ink cross right on my finger tip, from the second knuckle down to the fingernail.

It's also the temporary and disposable aspect of it.  It's going to get dirty, it's going to chip off -- and eventually, you're going to have to remove what's left of it.

Though I will say, tattoos give me the heebie jeebies.  I won't say they're a sin -- I'm not high enough up the Catholic food chain for that -- but I do find them repulsive, personally.  It's probably an extension of my complete disgust/horror/fear involving needles.

they're not a sin, the Church has said so. but your entitled to your personal preference about your own body.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

dymphna17

I do my own nails.  Something that makes Hubby quite happy.  lol  What do you use for a top coat?  I'm finding it difficult to find one that actually works for more than 3 days and it's becoming frustrating.

I gave up working on my hair years ago.  A curling iron is as exotic as it gets here!  lol
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Penelope

Quote from: dymphna17 on June 28, 2014, 01:22:17 PM
I gave up working on my hair years ago.  A curling iron is as exotic as it gets here!  lol

That's more than I can muster most days. Wash, condition, comb, apply copious amounts of hair gel, tie it back when it gets to be too much.

dymphna17

Quote from: Penelope on June 28, 2014, 01:37:02 PM
Quote from: dymphna17 on June 28, 2014, 01:22:17 PM

That's more than I can muster most days. Wash, condition, comb, apply copious amounts of hair gel, tie it back when it gets to be too much.

Your time will come, Sweetie!  Maybe in a few years, but it will come.   ;)

I found this article about fingernail polishing kind of interesting.

When Women Started Growing Out and Painting Their Nails
Emily Upton May 19, 2014 6
Becky asks: When did women start growing out and painting fingernails?

long-finger-nailsOn humans and other primates, nails are a flattened version of a claw which likely developed to aid in gripping and climbing. However, they can also act as a visible "health report." Someone in poor health, or infected by a fungus, might have yellow, brittle nails, while someone in good health might have strong, long nails.

The fact that healthy nails are the sign of a healthy person may have led to people beginning to grow them out, or it could have been simply that long nails are cumbersome when working with your hands, so they were something of a status symbol. Whatever the case, it might surprise you to learn that manicuring nails has actually been around for many thousands of years—dating back at least to 3200 B.C. At the time, Chinese royalty would grow their nails and tint them with things like eggwhites or flower petals. Around the same time, Ancient Egyptians were also painting their nails, this time in accordance with their social classes; richer Egyptians painted their nails a darker colour, while poorer Egyptians painted them a lighter colour.

The modern practice of growing out and painting nails is a result of a more recent occurrence, happening in the 1920s and 1930s where women began growing long, luxurious nails. Before this, women commonly tinted their nails with oil or glosses. However, in the 1920s, shortly after the introduction and popularity of automobile paint, proper nail paint also became available and a nail painting boom resulted.

Of course, many "proper" women didn't dare paint their nails for several decades after that, but Hollywood stepped in. In 1940, it became the style to have long, red nails, likely spurred on by actress Rita Hayworth. Many women started copying her style, striving to look like the knockout celebrity.

Much like painting one's nails, artificial nails, which mimic real nails and add length and a healthy appearance to nails, have an astoundingly long history. Artificial nails were once worn by Chinese women during the Ming Dynasty (14th -17th century). In this case, these nail extensions were worn by noblewomen to further show that they did not have to use their hands for manual labour, unlike commoners. There are also records of women in 19th century Greece using pistachio shells as artificial nails.

It wasn't until 1954 that an early version of the modern artificial nail was invented. It was first patented by Fred Slack, a dentist, who had chipped his nail at work and needed a replacement. He and his brother worked with various materials before coming up with something that would work, starting with dental acrylic, resulting in a realistic-looking fake nail that soon became incredibly popular among women across the world. Since then Slack's company, Nail Systems International, has continued to innovate creating fake nails out of a variety of substances.

Of course, as with everything beauty and style related, growing nails out and painting them are trends that come and go. During the 1960s, women preferred a more natural look and rarely painted their nails. Nail painting saw a huge come-back in the 1980s, though, and since then the practice has been relatively popular in certain countries in the world.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/05/women-started-growing-painting-nails/
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

The Curt Jester

Hmm.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about some bizarre for of abstract art involving nails of the hammering sort.   Wouldn't surprise me.  Not the least bit.   Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, I find out it's something just as bizarre!

So I don't completely divert the topic (although I find that it's unlikely I would have anyway), I'll add in something to this.   One time, someone I know cracked a finger nail down the center and the fingernail area welled with blood.  So, ladies, when you get your nails done in that nice scarlet tone, that's what it looks like to me.  Seriously!
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Chestertonian

Quote from: The Curt Jester on June 28, 2014, 09:39:23 PM
Hmm.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about some bizarre for of abstract art involving nails of the hammering sort.   Wouldn't surprise me.  Not the least bit.   Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, I find out it's something just as bizarre!

So I don't completely divert the topic (although I find that it's unlikely I would have anyway), I'll add in something to this.   One time, someone I know cracked a finger nail down the center and the fingernail area welled with blood.  So, ladies, when you get your nails done in that nice scarlet tone, that's what it looks like to me.  Seriously!
I was thinkng more like this:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toNsPh-pxgc[/yt]
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Arun on June 28, 2014, 02:53:32 AM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on June 28, 2014, 01:54:34 AM

they're not a sin, the Church has said so. but your entitled to your personal preference about your own body.

I also reserve the right to wring my husband's neck if he ever got one.  :P

He finds them low class, though, so I'm safe there (and so is his neck!).

verenaerin

I try to get Mr. T to get a tattoo all the time.

The Curt Jester

The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

OCLittleFlower

GeorgeT

Quote from: The Curt Jester on June 29, 2014, 01:19:04 PM
DON'T DO IT, MR. T!

Naggy wife = antimotivation

wonk wonk wonk

Now she will chase me around with a rolling pin.

When the evening comes I will be sleeping next to the dog in the dog house.

After a reconcilliation, I will say something else that is off and she will become angry.

At this point my children will roll their eyes and say "Here we go, again."

Wonk wonk wonk

Check out my Lives of the saints comics!

http://tautkusstudio.com/pb/wp_8bec74cf/wp_8bec74cf.html

Arun

Quote from: The Curt Jester on June 29, 2014, 01:19:04 PM
DO IT, MR. T!

fixed. lol. seriosly though its something that should be a persons own decision. its your body, don't let anybody tell you what to do with it, if you don't want one don't get one and if you do want one go for it.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih