can somebody please explain heartbleed to me

Started by Arun, April 11, 2014, 08:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arun

what exactly is it and should i be worried about it..?

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Gardener

It's on the companies to deal with it. You can't really do anything about it except the typical stuff such as watch account activity for anything out of the ordinary.

http://heartbleed.com/
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Arun

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Arun

yeah i got one thats why i was trying to figure out what its all about. i'm not very tech savvy.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Non Nobis

"heartbleed" - that has to be one of the most descriptive names for a bug that I have heard of.  Definitely sounds scary.

Oh dear; SD is warning me that  I really should be going to bed.  Now I'll have nightmares about "heartbleed".
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

drummerboy

Quote from: Arun on April 11, 2014, 10:15:48 PM
yeah i got one thats why i was trying to figure out what its all about. i'm not very tech savvy.
[/b]

Don't worry man! I'm not either!  I'd try sounding tech savvy once: I was in the computer lab at school, and my computer got a Trojan horse virus, so I went and (trying to sound smart) told the girl watching over the lad that my computer had a Trojan horse.  From the look on her face, I think she mostly heard the part about me having a Trojan....  :-[
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Arun

Quote from: drummerboy on April 12, 2014, 06:03:35 PM
Quote from: Arun on April 11, 2014, 10:15:48 PM
[/b]

Don't worry man! I'm not either!  I'd try sounding tech savvy once: I was in the computer lab at school, and my computer got a Trojan horse virus, so I went and (trying to sound smart) told the girl watching over the lad that my computer had a Trojan horse.  From the look on her face, I think she mostly heard the part about me having a Trojan....  :-[

lol

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Gardener

Trojan horse (Trojan) An executable program advertised as performing one activity, but actually does something else (or it may perform both the advertised and malicious activities).

---

Trojan condoms, then, are aptly named. They advertise something, and do that, generally, but also perform a malicious activity.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Arun

Quote from: Gardener on April 12, 2014, 06:42:52 PM
Trojan horse (Trojan) An executable program advertised as performing one activity, but actually does something else (or it may perform both the advertised and malicious activities).

---

Trojan condoms, then, are aptly named. They advertise something, and do that, generally, but also perform a malicious activity.

good one!

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Parresia

http://xkcd.com/1354/

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/index.html

The first provides a simply explanation and the second allows you to check if a website you use frequently was affected.  You should consider changing your passwords (facebook, amazon, bank websites, etc.) just to be on the safe side.  Websites that have plugged the gap can still be a problem if you have kept the same password the entire time. 

Gidge

I use https://startpage.com which uses the HTTPS protocol and SSL encryption.

This helps one avoid some of the nasty viruses out there (Using a MAC or UNIX O/S is even better).

Here's more information, if interested:

https://startpage.com/eng/top-ten-ways-startpage.html

I've been using this web browser for a couple years and am satisfied with it.
"The Church is intolerant in principle because she believes, but is tolerant in practice because she loves. Enemies of the Church are tolerant in principle because they do not believe, but they are intolerant in practice because they do not love."

Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P.

Arun

yeah but wasn't stuff with "https" the stuff that heartbleed was cracking?

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Gardener