What's the name for this kind of quilting?

Started by Bernadette, April 18, 2017, 12:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Lynne

The little balloons are appliqued. Did you mean the actual quilting? They must have used a puffier batting than cotton batting which produces a flatter look. It was either a combo cotton and polyester or my personal favorite, wool?  :)

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

MundaCorMeum

Puffy Applique Quilting.  PAQ for those "in the know" 

Bernadette

Quote from: Lynne on April 18, 2017, 12:26:46 PM
The little balloons are appliqued. Did you mean the actual quilting? They must have used a puffier batting than cotton batting which produces a flatter look. It was either a combo cotton and polyester or my personal favorite, wool?  :)

But how do the balloons get puffy? Are they appliqued after the actual grid-pattern quilting is done?
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on April 18, 2017, 02:59:02 PM
Quote from: Lynne on April 18, 2017, 12:26:46 PM

But how do the balloons get puffy? Are they appliqued after the actual grid-pattern quilting is done?

Either they appear puffy because the quilting around the edge of each balloon makes it look that way (which is the way I'm leaning) or a little extra batting was tucked underneath each balloon.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"