What's Life Like in St Marys Kansas?

Started by Francisco Javier, February 21, 2023, 12:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francisco Javier

I've heard a few people mention it in their comments but would love to learn more. I think everyone here would love to live in a self-sustaining trad utopia, yet most of us haven't moved to the place where the SSPX is trying to build one. So why not? Probably because it takes a lot of effort to move and there's a lot of uncertainty. So let the locals help resolve it! I would love encouragement or perhaps a warning that things aren't all that idyllic in Kansas or any info you see fit.

So what's the deal? Rumors and hearsay welcome, so long as they're marked second hand info.

Starter things to think about: what's the work like for the men there, how do women get on and what do they largely do between finishing school and starting a family, how's the weather, what do people do for fun, how do newcomers find the area, is there a big drug problem, do the kids walk on your lawn, is the local sheriff a piece of work, is the hunting any good, what % of the town are townies vs NO Catholics vs SSPXers, what are the gun laws like in KS, how is the real estate market and is it affordable for the average worker, is permitting an issue, is it surrounded by an indian rez that will limit growth in the future, what are its competitor cities and how do they stack up, how do people plan to support a population growth rate where the fertility is 8 kids per woman, what percent of men found work at the site of the Immaculata and how will they be affected with its completion?

The vice hit piece articles only encouraged me to look into the idea more. Rod Dreher has encouraged similar ideas in his Benedict Option. FSSP priests I know have (predictably) been dismissive and said that a lot of the negatives are covered up so as to not harm the reputation of the Society

I've also heard warnings about the SSPX losing sight of their mission of tending to the scattered flock by building huge monuments and permanent roots like the Immaculata in St Marys, while they would obviously claim the needs of the faithful have changed as the crisis has gone along.

Very intrigued by the idea, but afraid of putting down roots in what might ultimately turn out to be a cult town

dymphna17

Hi Francisco Javier. I'll answer your questions as best I can, but I can only answer for myself, not everyone. My family moved to St Marys in 1979. The campus was bought in 1978. A total of 75 people lived there then. Fr. Hector Bolduc (+RIP+) was our parish Priest at the time, but he was also constantly on circuit at the time as well, so we were on our own most of the time. School started in September that year. I was in 9th grade. It was a really rough start. There were some really wicked people there. This created a divide between townspeople and people from the Academy. But we kept growing. Then we got a new Priest and the wicked people started to leave after ArchBishop Lefebvre consecrated the 4 Bishops. The FSSP is a few miles south if that's what you need.

Fast forward to present time. We now number over 4,000 souls (hence the need for the big church), the school still growing like crazy, more traditional businesses starting all the time. There is still some bad blood with some original towns people but it's not nearly as bad as it was. Everyone pretty much gets along. But every now and again you hear a whisper of "those damn College creeps". hahaha

There are some issues with drugs. But not nearly as much as in the regular world. My experience has been that people only leave if they are mad. Mad at a Priest, mad at the school, or mad in general. It can be a hard place to live. Being a small town, everyone knows everybody's business. Pressure to be a good Catholic, neighbor, or parent if you are one. You're trying to live up to the lofty traditional Catholic ideals.

It's a good place to raise a family. There are loads of families with lots of children of similar ages. Everybody is ready to help with anything you need. There are a few businesses that hire alot. One half hour to the west is a college town with jobs. Or one half hour to the east is the capital city with jobs. For men or women. Not too many women who are married with children work. There are a few, but not too many. I'd say the Academy to towns people ratio is about 60% to 40%, There is a nice big grocery store with bigger ones in Manhattan to the west or in Topeka to the east. Great shopping opportunities. And Kansas City even further east if a larger city is necessary. The biggest problem I see is that it is expensive. That's always been the case though. They figure that if we have the money to move here just for the school, we have alot of money so there is that. You'll pay for your kids sake.

Gun laws are Open Carry. There is alot of outdoor things to do, hunting or fishing. Football is big and basketball too. Weatherwise, alot of wind, hot in Summer and cold in Winter. Tornadoes (we're in Tornado Alley) mainly in Spring.

We're just a bunch of Traditional Catholics trying to work out our salvation one day at a time.  With lots of prayers, sacraments, and children. We may be different to the world, but we keep plugging along by the grace of God.

Hope I've answered some of you're questions. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else to work out my salvation.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Francisco Javier

I think I'll make my way over to visit St. Mary's around the time they finish the Immaculata. Anyone else planning on making the trip / relocating there in the distant future?

And thank you Dymphna, your post was very helpful

Fuerza

Quote from: dymphna17 on March 23, 2023, 08:00:00 PMHi Francisco Javier. I'll answer your questions as best I can, but I can only answer for myself, not everyone. My family moved to St Marys in 1979. The campus was bought in 1978. A total of 75 people lived there then. Fr. Hector Bolduc (+RIP+) was our parish Priest at the time, but he was also constantly on circuit at the time as well, so we were on our own most of the time. School started in September that year. I was in 9th grade. It was a really rough start. There were some really wicked people there. This created a divide between townspeople and people from the Academy. But we kept growing. Then we got a new Priest and the wicked people started to leave after ArchBishop Lefebvre consecrated the 4 Bishops. The FSSP is a few miles south if that's what you need.

Fast forward to present time. We now number over 4,000 souls (hence the need for the big church), the school still growing like crazy, more traditional businesses starting all the time. There is still some bad blood with some original towns people but it's not nearly as bad as it was. Everyone pretty much gets along. But every now and again you hear a whisper of "those damn College creeps". hahaha

There are some issues with drugs. But not nearly as much as in the regular world. My experience has been that people only leave if they are mad. Mad at a Priest, mad at the school, or mad in general. It can be a hard place to live. Being a small town, everyone knows everybody's business. Pressure to be a good Catholic, neighbor, or parent if you are one. You're trying to live up to the lofty traditional Catholic ideals.

It's a good place to raise a family. There are loads of families with lots of children of similar ages. Everybody is ready to help with anything you need. There are a few businesses that hire alot. One half hour to the west is a college town with jobs. Or one half hour to the east is the capital city with jobs. For men or women. Not too many women who are married with children work. There are a few, but not too many. I'd say the Academy to towns people ratio is about 60% to 40%, There is a nice big grocery store with bigger ones in Manhattan to the west or in Topeka to the east. Great shopping opportunities. And Kansas City even further east if a larger city is necessary. The biggest problem I see is that it is expensive. That's always been the case though. They figure that if we have the money to move here just for the school, we have alot of money so there is that. You'll pay for your kids sake.

Gun laws are Open Carry. There is alot of outdoor things to do, hunting or fishing. Football is big and basketball too. Weatherwise, alot of wind, hot in Summer and cold in Winter. Tornadoes (we're in Tornado Alley) mainly in Spring.

We're just a bunch of Traditional Catholics trying to work out our salvation one day at a time.  With lots of prayers, sacraments, and children. We may be different to the world, but we keep plugging along by the grace of God.

Hope I've answered some of you're questions. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else to work out my salvation.

Are there any people who live among the main SSPX attendee community and send their kids to the SSPX school, but who themselves attend the nearby FSSP? While I'll probably never do it, I've occasionally wondered what it would he like to move to a trad community, but my preference would be to go to the FSSP most of the time.

Michael Wilson

QuoteStarter things to think about: what's the work like for the men there, how do women get on and what do they largely do between finishing school and starting a family, how's the weather, what do people do for fun, how do newcomers find the area, is there a big drug problem, do the kids walk on your lawn, is the local sheriff a piece of work, is the hunting any good, what % of the town are townies vs NO Catholics vs SSPXers, what are the gun laws like in KS, how is the real estate market and is it affordable for the average worker, is permitting an issue, is it surrounded by an indian rez that will limit growth in the future, what are its competitor cities and how do they stack up, how do people plan to support a population growth rate where the fertility is 8 kids per woman, what percent of men found work at the site of the Immaculata and how will they be affected with its completion?
What dymphna17 said.
Some additions: The current chief of Police is a tradi and a good guy; Housing is expensive in St. Marys because there are so many people moving here. But "expensive" relatively speaking to some other nearby communities; where housing is still reasonable. You can search online on St. Marys real estate and Pearl Real Estate websites to see what they have to offer.
There is an Indian rez nearby, but it does not abut to the town.
There is a good demand for workers here, and the local businesses are looking for workers.
Hunting is good if you can get on to private land, otherwise you have to travel, but there are a lot of local hunters who can fill you in.
The vice hit piece articles only encouraged me to look into the idea more. Rod Dreher has encouraged similar ideas in his Benedict Option. FSSP priests I know have (predictably) been dismissive and said that a lot of the negatives are covered up so as to not harm the reputation of the Society
There has been some problems in the past (greatly exaggerated), but the current group of priests are very excellent.

"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Heinrich

If you are interested, Fuerza, I can give you some field reports from the Greater Cincinnati area. There are 8 TLM communities here.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Tennessean

Its my goal to move there, after a trip or two with MSC, and then go back to tugboating, or even find a local job. Maybe take classes for something if I can enroll. I knew I wanted to live in Kansas ten years ago, when I wandering around homeless, the problem is doing so with a plan.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Heinrich on April 10, 2023, 05:36:48 PMIf you are interested, Fuerza, I can give you some field reports from the Greater Cincinnati area. There are 8 TLM communities here.

I am interested in that.....not sure if anything will come of it, but if I do ever relocate it'd be there I think
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Fuerza

Quote from: Heinrich on April 10, 2023, 05:36:48 PMIf you are interested, Fuerza, I can give you some field reports from the Greater Cincinnati area. There are 8 TLM communities here.

Sure. I'm unlikely to move to Ohio but I'll take any info that I can get.

Michael Wilson

QuoteI've also heard warnings about the SSPX losing sight of their mission of tending to the scattered flock by building huge monuments and permanent roots like the Immaculata in St Marys, while they would obviously claim the needs of the faithful have changed as the crisis has gone along.

Very intrigued by the idea, but afraid of putting down roots in what might ultimately turn out to be a cult town
The SSPX has not lost sight of its mission, which is to save souls through the training of good Catholic priests, the preaching of the true faith and the dispensing of valid Catholic sacraments. During the recent past there was a question of arriving at an accord with the Vatican on regularizing the Canonical situation of the SSPX; but since this was found to be impractical without a doctrinal agreement mainly on the issue of the status of Vatican II and its teachings and of the N.O.M. Nothing came of it.
The new superior of the SSPX, Fr. Pagliarani has definitely set a firmer doctrinal note, and there is a continuing effort to group the SSPX priests in priories, so that they will not be left isolated from other priests and overworked.
If St. Marys does become a cult town, one can always pick up and leave; many people have come here and left for various reasons.
My experience in St. Marys for the 16 years that I have live here has been very positive.

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Heinrich

https://www.latinmassbrookville.com/

https://www.ourladyoflourdes.info/

https://www.assumptionchurch.net/

My three 1962 go to communities. There is also Old St. Mary's in downtown Cincinnati, FSSP Dayton, OH and an oratory in Union, KY. All are within 60 minutes of one another.

On the bridge too far for me(sedevacantist), there is CMRI, SSPV, and St. Getrude the Great in the area. I think there is also another independent sede chapel somewhere.

Cincinnati, as a medium sized big city, has much going for it culturally. The geography and climate are lacking, but land in Northern Kentucky and SE Indiana is relatively inexpensive. Lots of room for professional growth. If I were to get fired tomorrow, I would not have an issue with income given the demand for workers/employees.

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Michael Wilson

The Cincinnati area makes more sense in terms of more economic opportunities (vs. St. Marys) for large traditional Catholic families.   

Melkor

Quote from: Michael Wilson on April 15, 2023, 08:34:17 AM
QuoteI've also heard warnings about the SSPX losing sight of their mission of tending to the scattered flock by building huge monuments and permanent roots like the Immaculata in St Marys, while they would obviously claim the needs of the faithful have changed as the crisis has gone along.

The SSPX has not lost sight of its mission, which is to save souls through the training of good Catholic priests, the preaching of the true faith and the dispensing of valid Catholic sacraments.

Anyone who claims otherwise is simply delusional and coping. Looking at you, resistance folks. I cannot, cannot stand the attacks on the SSPX by Catholics.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Tennessean

Quote from: Michael Wilson on April 16, 2023, 04:02:42 PMThe Cincinnati area makes more sense in terms of more economic opportunities (vs. St. Marys) for large traditional Catholic families.   
That's true. Cincinnati has more women, too. I need to keep both in mind, and take Heinrich up on his boxing lessons offer, but its the plains I think about most. Its going to depend on how confidant I am in 2-3 years, if I can hack it on a homestead like I plan. Also, who I'm working for. Cincinnati makes more sense if I want to return to river boats.

dymphna17

I'll say it again, just so there is no misunderstanding. St Marys is a difficult place to live. The devil doesn't want you there and will put in your way. However, the benefits far outweigh the difficulties. God provides for His own flock. If nothing else I think we learn to depend upon Him more, until it becomes a habit. I'd hate to build it up only for it to be a bad placement for you.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica