What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

All The Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doerr. The first depiction of a blind character that I've ever read.
My Lord and my God.

Melkor

Going through the Raven's mark series again, just finished Ravencry, on to Crowfall.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Santantonio

The Risen Christ by Caryll Houselander.

Her last published work. Sheed & Ward

great writer.

Blue Violet

"You will win many souls through your devotion to  the Sacred Heart and the Little Flower."

Our Lord Jesus Christ to Rhonda Wise

http://baptismofdesire.com/

george_aeterno

Prayer of the Heart by George Maloney.

It's surprisingly orthodox and sound for a Jesuit author of the era (despite some liberal use of the words 'mantra' and 'nirvana'). It's a shame that the author, a Catholic priest, would later convert to Orthodoxy. If anyone is interested in the Jesus Prayer, here's a phenomenal little book with an imprimi potest.

Prayerful

Kathryn Warner, Richard II, a true king's fall, which initially seemed overly intricate, nearly repeated the series of mini bios, but it had a purpose. Richard II had a very sorry fate.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

red solo cup

Rising Tide: The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 and How it Changed America by John M. Barry
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Prayerful

Quote from: Prayerful on April 18, 2021, 04:09:07 PM
Kathryn Warner, Richard II, a true king's fall, which initially seemed overly intricate, nearly repeated the series of mini bios, but it had a purpose. Richard II had a very sorry fate.

And now her book on Edward II, perhaps a more sympathetic character, also physically imposing. Richard tried to get him canonised, and there were reports of miracles at the tomb of Sir Edward of Carnarvon, his name after he was deposed. It is claimed either or both were sodomites, but that is not clear, despite claims. Queen Isabella, wife of Edward, despite contently munching an apple while two of her husband's allies were hung, drawn and quartered, was buried in the clothes she wore when she married Edward. It is claimed that Edward had a very degrading fate, but it is likelier, if he died, that he was smothered. Yet Edward possibly survived, wandering the Holy Roman Empire as a hermit (there is some informed evidence). Edward was close to the Dominicans, although a would be breakout crew of a few Dominicans were not successful in freeing him from imprisonment.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

DigitalLogos

I've been slowly working my way through St. Augustine's De Trinitate for the second time. I'm about 2/3 through it. I'm also reading The Ascent of Mt. Carmel by St. John of the Cross, Bergoglio at War - With the Catholic Faith by Dr. Thomas Droleskey, and Uniformity with God's Will by St. Alphonsus Liguori.

I actually just finished Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence, which is an excellent, excellent read alongside Humility of Heart by Fr. Cajetan Mary da Bergamo. I love books that crush my self-will and pride and show the futility of this world.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4

Bernadette

Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc, by Mark Twain. My (and his) favorite of all of his works.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Michael Wilson

About 4/5 of my way through "Symbolism: Exposition of the Doctrinal Differences Between Catholics and Protestants as Evidenced By Their Symbolical Writings (Milestones in Catholic Theology) ; Johann Adam Mohler; written in the 19th C. It explores the differences in doctrine between Catholics and manly Lutherans and Calvinists, by comparing the different credal statements of each group. Very well written and argued. My only objection is that practically all of the extensive footnotes quoting the works of Protestants and Catholics are in Latin; so I miss some of the information that he gives his reader.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

DigitalLogos

I'm still working my way through The Ascent by St. John of the Cross and Bergoglio at War by Dr. Thomas Droleskey, and am almost finished with Uniformity with God's Will by St. Alphonsus.

I have also picked up another book, this time a Sci-Fi novel by James Blish called A Case of Conscience, which is about a Jesuit on an alien, Eden-esque world populated by sentient reptilians, wherein he slowly begins to question whether these beings are truly ensouled rational creatures untouched by the Sin of Adam, or merely soulless rational beasts there to tempt him away from his Faith. It's quite good so far coming from an agnostic author.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4

Insanis

The Jewish War by Josephus, however, I pulled out the Baltimore Catechism No. 4 for a bit of a read for a sanity check.

Christina_S

Breaking Bad Habits by Freek Vermeulen.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith