Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arun

it wasn't exactly bushido, but similar. i was doing bujinkan ninpo taijutsu, and so it embraced a lot of the ninpo mikkyo and so forth - students were often referred to as "buyu" as in a traveller in the way (the way being "budo"). it was pretty deep philosophical stuff, ended up being miles over my head which is why i switched to something else in the end. i still got a lot of good things out of it, though.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Adeodatus on April 20, 2014, 08:41:52 PM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on April 19, 2014, 12:27:20 PM
but didn't like the exaltation of the Japanese code of Bushido.

Really? Bushido is the most valuable Eastern philosophy I can think of.

The way of the warrior is to consider oneself as dead so that one can serve his master with absolute loyalty. While one cannot adopt Bushido as it stands, there is much of value for a Christian to mine from this material. Consider that your daimyo is Jesus Christ and reread the texts.

I often have a copy of Yamamoto Tsunetomo's book close at hand.
Not to give any spoilers, but there is two instances where characters take the "honorable death" route by killing themselves; and it is portrayed as very noble. 
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Arun

Quote from: Michael Wilson on April 22, 2014, 04:00:14 PM

The way of the warrior is to consider oneself as dead so that one can serve his master with absolute loyalty. While one cannot adopt Bushido as it stands, there is much of value for a Christian to mine from this material. Consider that your daimyo is Jesus Christ and reread the texts.

Not to give any spoilers, but there is two instances where characters take the "honorable death" route by killing themselves; and it is portrayed as very noble.

it was considered to be

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Older Salt

The Amazing Spiderman.

A lot better than that Tobey Mcquire fluff.
Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Habitual_Ritual

Walter Mitty (Ben Stiller)   Quite good.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Bernadette

Quote from: Arun on April 22, 2014, 04:29:09 PM

it was considered to be

This. Killing yourself wasn't considered a sin. My grandma tells me that women used to carry knives specifically to kill themselves if they were "dishonored by a man." To quote her: "There was no such thing as rape. If a man raped you, you killed yourself."
My Lord and my God.

Older Salt

Has anyone seen "Mud" with Matt Mconahee

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

erin is nice

Quote from: Older Salt on April 23, 2014, 09:36:07 AM

Just watched it a couple weeks ago. Why?

Older Salt

Quote from: erin is nice on April 23, 2014, 10:25:17 AM

Is it good for family viewing?
My wife and I.

erin is nice

Quote from: Older Salt on April 23, 2014, 11:58:52 AM

My wife and I.

It has some swearing, and some raunchy dialogue, but it's not Pulp Fiction level or anything. No nudity. Definitely not for kids. So really it depends on your own tolerance for language..

Be prepared for the fact that it is over two hours long-- you will need lots of snacks.

Older Salt

Quote from: erin is nice on April 23, 2014, 12:45:13 PM
Quote from: Older Salt on April 23, 2014, 11:58:52 AM

My wife and I.

It has some swearing, and some raunchy dialogue, but it's not Pulp Fiction level or anything. No nudity. Definitely not for kids. So really it depends on your own tolerance for language..

Be prepared for the fact that it is over two hours long-- you will need lots of snacks.
Thanks Erin.

I like long films.

I do not mind harsh language, neither does my wife BUT we cannot stand taking the Lords name in vain.

Such as

"Oh G-d"
G--dammit"

Arun

i watched Mud like, last year sometime. don't remember the language content sorry. the plot was entertaining enough.

just watched I Am Soldier. didn't think much of it. seemed a bit low budget.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Bernadette on April 23, 2014, 08:34:26 AM
Quote from: Arun on April 22, 2014, 04:29:09 PM

it was considered to be

This. Killing yourself wasn't considered a sin. My grandma tells me that women used to carry knives specifically to kill themselves if they were "dishonored by a man." To quote her: "There was no such thing as rape. If a man raped you, you killed yourself."
I agree that the Japanese and others may not consider it a sin, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a sin; just the same as some of the practices that the Missionaries in America found that the Indians were practicing; they were part of the their civil code but were still sinful.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Arun

Quote from: Michael Wilson on April 23, 2014, 04:15:13 PM

I agree that the Japanese and others may not consider it a sin, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a sin; just the same as some of the practices that the Missionaries in America found that the Indians were practicing; they were part of the their civil code but were still sinful.

i'm not disagreeing with you about that; however it makes sense that it would be depicted as noble, as thats the way they looked at it. doesn't mean it is, just that it was considered to be.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

red solo cup

The Family with Robert DeNiro
non impediti ratione cogitationis